Your viewing journal

Also, I might be wrong, but I think at the 15 and 18 categories, the innocence of victims is irrelevant, only detail.

I mean, I'm no expert, but I wasn't sure if the context of the violence impacted the rating. Like, two men are in a gunfight and one of them gets shot in the head vs man walks into a random house, sees a woman cooking dinner, and then shoots her in the head. The latter is far more shocking, in my opinion at least. The BBFC works in mysterious, oftentimes inconsistent, ways, so I'd honestly not like to say either way.

I mean, I'm no expert, but I wasn't sure if the context of the violence impacted the rating. Like, two men are in a gunfight and one of them gets shot in the head vs man walks into a random house, sees a woman cooking dinner, and then shoots her in the head. The latter is far more shocking, in my opinion at least. The BBFC works in mysterious, oftentimes inconsistent, ways, so I'd honestly not like to say either way.
I believe they would at a 12 and lower, but at a 15 it matters less. I remember them talking about the distinction between good and bad characters and good and bad killings in The Hunger Games, so it definitely matters, but I think it's more a lower category thing.

Konohana Kitan Episode 5

You know that moment when you get a tear in your eyes. Not because something sad, but because you just watched something /that/ beautiful you're lost for words

That sums up that episode

Edit--

Decided to go for a Hidive Sub

Girls Last Tour Episodes 1-3

Avatar: The Last Airbender Book Three: Fire (Rewatch) episodes 18-21 (Complete. A truly great animated series, and one of the best in recent memory.

Black Clover episode 5

Inuyashiki Last Hero episodes 1-4 This series goes from 0 to 1000 really quickly. This is pretty decent so far, and definitely what I'd expect from the person behind Gantz, there's some gruesome and visceral violence to be found here, and the contrast between how the two MCs deal with their powers makes for an interesting narrative.

Air
episodes 1-12 (Complete. This was a rather chilled anime that goes ahead and brings on the feels and drama as the episodes go on. The ending is particularly depressing, but suitably well done.Also the dub, though average, saves things with Vic Mignonga as the MC. Soundtrack was great too.) 3.5/5

Amagi Brilliant Park
episodes 1-4

Last edited:
Food Wars! The Third Plate (Japanese audio) - Episodes 3-4
Inuyashiki Last Hero (Japanese audio) - Episode 4
King's Game the Animation (Japanese audio) - Episode 5

In case folks were noticing I have added Food Wars! Season 3 to the simulcast after deciding to skip the OVAs.

Since we're nearly half-way through the season I am considering adding more Crunchyroll simulcasts to the mix: Anime-Gataris, Blend-S, Recovery of an MMO Junkie, and A Sister's All You Need.

The HIDIVE titles that I plan to watch are semi-on-hold as I'll probably marathon them instead (the titles I'm referring to are Girl's Last Tour, Just Because!, My Girlfriend is ShoBitch, and UQ Holder!) but I am aiming to watch them at some point in November.

Suzuka 3-7. Really getting into this. And just found out from my anime list online
that fuuka is the sequel.
....would never of guessed that

Gundam: The Origin 2 & 3

This is absolutely brilliant. It's bringing so much more to characters, especially Sayla, finally. She is long overdue some major screentime. It's done a lot to humanise even the Zabis - I actually feel kinda sorry for Degwin and Dozle now (I always kinda felt sorry for Garma - his one-sided bromance with Char is not helping). They're much more rounded and believable characters here, though Gihren will always be space Hitler and I doubt there's much that can be done to make anyone feel for such an unfeeling guy. And Kycillia, god damn. She might not be quite as upfront about her misdeeds as Gihren but she is ice cold. It's not like she doesn't deserve what's coming to her in 0079 but she also kinda deserves to be queen for more than the couple of minutes she gets, given that she's been working towards it for so damn long.

All this intrigue and political manoeuvring is great and Char, as the undisputed star of the show here, is pitch-perfect in his characterisation. He's suave, he's likeable, but he's also ruthless and calculating. I grin when he succeeds but it's with a hint of shame given the things he's doing in order to succeed. And Ramba Ral! He's gone from being a good character to a fantastic one. Much like in Unicorn, we have beautifully animated retro-inspired design and the integration of 3D mobile suits and 2D animation is just getting more and more seamless. It's no longer jarring.

I really don't want this to end. Can't you just keep going with these OVAs for the next 20 years and re-do the entire main UC storyline up to CCA with this level of writing and animation Sunrise, pretty please?

Sakura Quest (eps 9-13)
Really enjoying this so far but it's took me ages to get through for whatever reason. I started watching it when it first started streaming but then drifted away from it (work stuff got a bit frantic). Feels very relaxed although it didn't need to be 25 episodes but as I said, really enjoying it.

Saber Marionette J (complete) - Took me a while to get through this one. The show itself suffers from being too goofy/ slapstick at times as were allot of the shows in the 90's. Those aspects have not aged well and the show as a whole is too long. It does have some interesting character/ plot lines but I'm in no rush to watch season 2 yet

Garo Episode 5 - Gina is best girl of the season, what a woman!

Recovery of an MMO junkie ep 5 - Bah I hate hair cutting in anime, that said it was a decent episode

Girls Last Tour ep 5 - very chilled again

Amagi Brilliant Park episodes 5-13 (Complete. This was a fun and engaging anime with a cool premise and some quirky and enjoyable characters. The guest counter mechanic and the plot attached to it led to a tense but heartwarming conclusion. I'd happily watch another season. It doesn't quite live up to its namesake but it's still a great watch) 4/5

Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro (film)
Realised that I'd never watched this before. It's a solid flick, and a good start for the Legendary Hayao Miyazaki.

Giovanni's Island (dub)
My reaction to the animation is mixed. Most is fine, but some of the architecture is a bit wobbly especially the windows which was off putting, reading the book it seems to be a decision made to say that it's a flashback so things are a bit hazy. But the fantastical parts were excellent.

Story wise, it's another story showing an interesting aspect of World War II. I would have liked a longer section with Junpei and Tanya and for it to affect him more after he had to leave, but she only gets mentioned again right at the end when old Junpei goes back to the island. I guess it was a different type of story than I thought it was going to be.

The dub was good and they stuck with the same decision as the Japanese original of using Russian (and Korean) for the non English (Japanese) people. Apart from a song that is sung where they use the Japanese original, maybe trying to fit the English translation to the music sounded weird, but it comes off as strange when everybody has been speaking English just to strike up in Japanese whilst singing. I will definitely have to watch the sub at some point, but I always like to watch a film dubbed first so I can concentrate on the story whilst taking in the animation fully.

Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun ep 1-2 (sub)
Following the discussion on another thread, I thought I'd check it out (it was already on my Crunchyroll queue). So far it's hilarious and probably the funniest anime I've seen yet.

Chobits ep 1-2 (dub)
Again following a discussion elsewhere, I watched a couple of episodes. Again funny and cute. Will pick up again later.
Here's a question that probably should be elsewhere, but now I'm paying for Funimation is it OK to watch the same shows on an illegal site where the videos actually play properly without stuttering, pausing or stopping altogether?

Last edited:
Full Metal Panic! - Episodes 20 - 24 [Final] (Blu-ray)

I really enjoyed FMP, definitely lives up to it's reputation.

Dangaioh: Hyper Combat Unit - Episodes 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)

Dangaioh was quite pivotal in cementing my love of mecha anime when I first saw on VHS in 1994. This is the first time I've seen it in its original format (rather than the Manga mash up) and the extra content really adds to the story and imho it's still a great OVA and it really does look gorgeous in HD.

Back