The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

He finally gave it all up completely around Nov/Dec of last year, I think his printer or other equipment to make the boxes died and he couldn't get replacement equipment, or didn't want to bother - we were in the middle of designing a box for the Japanese Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Blu-ray singles and movies when he finally ceased his production. Wish I could have gotten that one done. The Twelve Kingdoms box he made for me back in the spring of 2015, and he made just that single box specifically for the Blu-ray set.

Last edited:
The difficult thing is finding somewhere to put the gate. Mine is still in its box until further notice :rolleyes:

Mine is sitting on top of one of the big front floor-standing speakers for the surround sound in the front corner of my theater room, but the room is so dimly lit up near the screen that no one hardly even notices that it is sitting there.

5X7yuPal.jpg

Ouran High School Host Club: Complete Series (Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]
ETA: Probably 1 week

Thanks to the folks on the Bargain thread, I've been meaning to get Ouran for a while now. The Blu-ray set looks great but the pricing was always terrible even at MCM. At £26-27 it was the cheapest it would ever be to be honest.

Pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk:

A Silent Voice CE
In this Corner of the World CE
Your Name CE Steelbook.

Also, from Amazon.co.jp:

Little Witch Academia Volume 7 First Press Limited Edition

My post-Scotland Loves Anime shopping trip in Glasgow:

CEX:

Samurai Champloo
This was an unexpected buy. I already have MVM's 7-disc DVD case version but couldn't resist this for the artwork!
PA170682a.jpg
PA170683.JPG

Upon taking it to the till, it turned out there was one more item that this set included: a SamCham bandana! I'd wondered why there seemed to still be room in the box, and this was the reason why:
PA170686.JPG

I also bought the thing I went in for in the first place:
Appleseed Ex Machina
I've already got this on DVD, but it doesn't have the Japanese audio track. This does. (I must mention that the dub for this is great, by the way.)
PA170693a.jpg

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within :eek:
I happened to spot this on my way out. It's a really nice clear plastic slipcover/silver foil digipack version I'd never seen before:
PA170690a.jpg

This is what it looks like when you slide the digipack out. It's really shiny:
PA170691.JPG

How shiny? About this shiny:
PA170692.JPG

(Did I mention it was only 50p?)

HMV:

Beyond the Boundary: I'll Be Here (limited edition)
&
Amagami SS+

What can I say? I'm a sucker for nice collector's editions of anime films. I also bought the follow-up to Amagami SS, which I bought earlier in the year. Did I mention it's an adaptation of a dating sim? I must be a glutton for punishment.
PA170687.JPG

Fopp:

Ping Pong
(live-action film)
I remembered that I'd seen this in Fopp last year. I've still to get the anime version and figured that I'd probably get curious about the live-action film when I eventually see that, so I bought this pre-emptively:
PA170688a.jpg

Also...

Orguss 02
&
Submarine 707R
I got these in my favourite second-hand record shop. They've got a dedicated anime section. I already have Orguss 02 on VHS(!), so I thought I'd take the chance to upgrade. I'd seen a trailer for Submarine 707R a while back, and there was a deal on (three £2 items for a fiver), so why not?
PA170694.JPG
Fun fact: those aforementioned three volumes of Orguss on VHS cost me 10p each. I found them in a charity shop some years ago, along with Manga's old censored cut of Wings of Honneamise, which was also 10p!

Anyway, my backlog just got bigger! ;)

(And no: I won't be wearing the bandana.)

Orguss 02 &
Submarine 707R
I've got those sitting on my shelf gathering dust. Must be nearly 10 years since I received them, still haven't got round to watching them. In fact I haven't watched about half of the DVDs I got from that collection, and I got every one bar AKIRA (because I already had it). I must get round to watching them all at some point, but there's too many shows on my Crunchyroll/Netflix/Funimation queues!

Good Luck with Submarine 707R it has a pretty creepy father loli thing that feels so out of place. The rest of it's just fine but it sticks in the mind solely for the father stuff and how weird it was.

I've got those sitting on my shelf gathering dust. Must be nearly 10 years since I received them, still haven't got round to watching them.
Orguss 02 is... fine. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush for it. The design work is my favourite thing about it; the story itself in nothing standout. In fact, there's this hilarious bit with the most crackpot plan for passing through an enemy checkpoint. Just wait until you see what the writers came up with!

It's impressive you've got pretty much the whole set of Manga Force titles, @D1tchd1gger. I've got just a small handful, but a couple of them (Ninja Scroll and Macross Plus: The Movie) came with the original magazine.

Good Luck with Submarine 707R it has a pretty creepy father loli thing that feels so out of place. The rest of it's just fine but it sticks in the mind solely for the father stuff and how weird it was.
Aw, man. I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning, @Blaize: I can brace myself for that in advance now!

It's impressive you've got pretty much the whole set of Manga Force titles, @D1tchd1gger. I've got just a small handful, but a couple of them (Ninja Scroll and Macross Plus: The Movie) came with the original magazine.
I remember thinking it would be a good way to get stuff I wouldn't normally think to buy as apart from the biggest names (GitS and Akira and Ghibli) I knew pretty much zero about anime back then. In fact my very first post here, in my first incarnation, was on the thread about the collection: Manga Force - UK anime magazine hits national TV
Definitely got some excellent titles in it, but also a few filler titles. It was those big names that got me to the front door, then this and AnimeCentral that got me through the door, into the porch at least, but it was more recently Netflix and finally Crunchyroll/Funimation that got me into the house (only took 25 years from first watching Akira on BBC 2). Weird analogy, but that's the only way I can think to put it.

Mega manga pickups in town this morning:

Kiss and White Lily for My Dear Girl 3
Queen's Quality 1
Honey So Sweet 8 (got it back home and turns out I don't have 7...)
The Water Dragon's Bride 3
Anonymous Noise 3
The Demon Prince of Momochi House 9
Spiritual Police 2
Finder 1
Bloody Mary 8
Assassination Classroom 17

After many days procrastinating about it I finally pulled the trigger on Ninja Slayer the Complete series from Funimation. I've watched two episodes of this show and was in hysterics so here is hoping the laughs can survive the whole series before getting long in the tooth.

Went and met a friend in town for coffee so went back to Waterstones and nabbed the copy of Honey So Sweet 7 I passed on yesterday as I couldn't remember if I had it, and also got Princess Jellyfish 6 and Twinkle Stars 3...

Pre ordered DBS Part 1 and Wolfs Rain CE on UP1, since I'm in no rush for DBS decided to have it shipped with Wolfs Rain. With Pokémon both games and anime, Digimon Tri and Your Name, November is gonna be a pretty expensive month...

Back