The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Do you have a source for that? I'd like to put it to the local facebook group, but ideally with a link to something definite.

It's true, they had adverts airing last night in between Samurai Champloo episodes, they'll be airing Anime movies from September 12th with A Letter to Momo, Perfect Blue and Patema Inverted lined up, all English dubbed from what I could hear from the advert. They'll probably be advertising it between Samurai Champloo episodes again tonight, if they don't advertise it throughout the day.

It's true, they had adverts airing last night in between Samurai Champloo episodes, they'll be airing Anime movies from September 12th with A Letter to Momo, Perfect Blue and Patema Inverted lined up, all English dubbed from what I could hear from the advert. They'll probably be advertising it between Samurai Champloo episodes again tonight, if they don't advertise it throughout the day.

I can confirm that is all correct - for reference these are the film premiere dates and times we have on record for those titles hitting Viceland:

Patema Inverted - Tuesday 12th September, 9PM
A Letter To Momo, Tuesday 19th September, 9PM
Perfect Blue, Tuesday 26th September, 10PM

Thanks for the heads up! Other than advertising the three movie titles and first date, they didn't list the times or dates for each individual movie, so this is much appreciated.

Kemono Friends director Tatsuki has had his contract terminated with Kadokawa, on his birthday. For those that don't know, the show was a tie in for a mobile game that had been discontinued before the anime had aired and the series had only a handful of people working on it with a shoestring budget but ended up becoming a huge hit in Japan and a multimillion dollar franchise. The whole thing is trending worldwide on twitter and Kadokawa stocks dropped since.

Sakuga Blog interview from July:
Kemono Friends Interview – Director and Writer Tatsuki, Animation Director Yoshihisa Isa

Kemono Friends director Tatsuki has had his contract terminated with Kadokawa, on his birthday. For those that don't know, the show was a tie in for a mobile game that had been discontinued before the anime had aired and the series had only a handful of people working on it with a shoestring budget but ended up becoming a huge hit in Japan and a multimillion dollar franchise. The whole thing is trending worldwide on twitter and Kadokawa stocks dropped since.

Sakuga Blog interview from July:
Kemono Friends Interview – Director and Writer Tatsuki, Animation Director Yoshihisa Isa

That sure feels like a dick move, wow.

A new record has been broken: the album REGALITY, credited to "Trigger", a fictional idol group in the video game series Idolish 7 that is being adapted into an anime next year, has become the first album to top the Oricon weekly charts that is credited to a group of male characters. Other fictional bands to top the charts include Ho-Kago Tea Time from K-On! and μ's from Love Live!.

Strangely, Trigger are the rivals in the video game, with Idolish 7 the main group that is the focus of the game, so its not even the main characters who have topped the chart.

Idolish 7's Trigger Album Is 1st by Male Characters to Top Weekly Chart

J.C.Staff are doing One-Punch Man Season 2 instead of Madhouse, directed by Chikara Sakurai, different crew to the first season. A big reason why season 1 production was so good was because of director Shingo Natsume and his friends that worked on Space Dandy at BONES.

TVアニメ『ワンパンマン』第2期メインスタッフ発表! | TVアニメ「ワンパンマン」公式サイト

Aw man, just read this and I'm bummed out.

The source material is still strong, but without competent animation and direction, it can only go so far. I'll reserve judgement, but I don't see it being as good.

shrug at least we still have Mob Psycho 100

J.J. Abrams, Paramount Team Up for Sci-Fi Love Story 'Your Name'

"Eric Heisserer, who was nominated for an Oscar for penning the script to the Denis Villeneuve-directed sci-fi drama Arrival, is on board to write the screenplay for the adaptation, which will be live action.

Abrams will produce via his Bad Robot banner along with the banner’s Lindsey Weber. Also producing is Genki Kawamura, the producer of the original 2016 film.

"Your Name is a film created with the innate imaginations of a Japanese team and put together in a domestic medium,” said Shinkai in a statement. “When such a work is imbued with Hollywood filmmaking, we may see new possibilities that we had been completely unaware of. I am looking forward to the live-action film with excited anticipation.”

Paramount and Bad Robot will work with Toho Co., which produced the original, on the development of the project. Toho will handle distribution of the film in Japan."

J.J. Abrams, Paramount Team for Sci-Fi Love Story 'Your Name'

J.J. Abrams, Paramount Team Up for Sci-Fi Love Story 'Your Name'

"Eric Heisserer, who was nominated for an Oscar for penning the script to the Denis Villeneuve-directed sci-fi drama Arrival, is on board to write the screenplay for the adaptation, which will be live action.

Abrams will produce via his Bad Robot banner along with the banner’s Lindsey Weber. Also producing is Genki Kawamura, the producer of the original 2016 film.

"Your Name is a film created with the innate imaginations of a Japanese team and put together in a domestic medium,” said Shinkai in a statement. “When such a work is imbued with Hollywood filmmaking, we may see new possibilities that we had been completely unaware of. I am looking forward to the live-action film with excited anticipation.”

Paramount and Bad Robot will work with Toho Co., which produced the original, on the development of the project. Toho will handle distribution of the film in Japan."

J.J. Abrams, Paramount Team for Sci-Fi Love Story 'Your Name'

fMpIq5B.gif

Back