Anime Nasties: A Youtube (Mis)Adventure!

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
My unsavoury pals from Ghastly Tales occasionally cajole me into contributing reviews of horror anime for their channel and we got a new episode up last night, covering Devilman's three main animated outings ahead of the upcoming Yuasa series due next year. Come marvel at what I actually look like, or just enjoy some completely incongruous countryside travelogue, but only if you promise to like, subscribe, etc.

I'll blink twice if I'm being forced to review anime against my will.

I didn't realise you had done some for their channel before but i've made sure to subscribe to them for future. The devilman series has interested in for the longest time and i'm still quite interested to watch them, but i guess knowing where to start was always the issue, or whether just reading the manga is/was the best option available. the 87 outing does sound like a dream to watch for animation however, so i am inclined to give that a go at the very least

My unsavoury pals from Ghastly Tales occasionally cajole me into contributing reviews of horror anime for their channel and we got a new episode up last night, covering Devilman's three main animated outings ahead of the upcoming Yuasa series due next year. Come marvel at what I actually look like, or just enjoy some completely incongruous countryside travelogue, but only if you promise to like, subscribe, etc.

I'll blink twice if I'm being forced to review anime against my will.
>"Standard fodder for Manga's audience looking for a pint, kabab and a bit of ultraviolence before the days of Strictly Come Dancing"

And there goes my drink.

I love the original Devilman OVA. It's a shame there were only 2 episodes. It's beautifully animated, has an incredible soundtrack and I love the way they updated the character designs with a bit more detail than the manga while keeping Go Nagai's signature style.

I'd love to see a US or UK Blu ray release although that seems unlikely at the moment (then again I've been surprised by a lot of old school US releases lately so never say never).

I will check out the video Prof Irony. For people interested in the manga: It is finally getting a US release in early 2018. I highly recommend it if you don't mind the art (it may be simplistic for some people's taste who grew up on modern manga) it has an excellent story though. It's a short read at only 3 volumes and extremely well paced, no time for things to get dull. I love the ending too. I'm pretty sure it's coming out in 2 really nice hardcovers. A must-buy for me.

Last edited:
His art isn't for everyone that's for sure. Even though I've loved the Devilman OVA since I was a teenager when I finally got hold of the manga in scanlated form the art did take a little bit of time to get used to but I quickly became really engrossed in the story. I can imagine this blew people's minds in Japan when it was first serialised because it's so much darker and wild than a lot of the manga that was around back then. If you really like the OVA it's worth it just to see everything the OVA misses out between Devilman's origin in OVA 1 and the fight with Silene in the 2nd OVA and also what happens beyond that.

Back