US Region & Geolocking Compatible Blu-ray/DVD Imports

I did end up making a little utility: BD Region/Country code checker
It's slightly less useful than an earlier prototype I had, but I realised you could, with some effort, say it was "circumventing geo-restrictions", which is legally a bit grey.

Anyway, this version also does it's job, but only lists against which values the region and country codes are being checked. These lists can be whitelists or blacklists (or something in between). So, for example, if it says region A, it might be a region A disc or an B|C disc.

Here are some examples:

It appears that Sentai has changed it from checking that the country code is either US or CA to checking that it's not JP. That's probably the reason why those earlier titles don't work on certain devices.

I decided to test this with the High School of the Dead Limited Edition set (as the discs were re-authored to include the OVA), and I got this:

h0pa6oN.png

This set was released in November 2014, just before the Geolocking began. I don't think it's an error, more so Sentai probably trying to create a workaround on the set or they left it region free since the LE price was high.

In other words, I'll keep note of your method for future use!

Got another two to add to the Sentai list, didn't realise they weren't tested until you made the list of what hasn't been tested.

Infinite Stratos 2 - Geo-locked
Towanoquon - Bypass Method (Disc 1: Title 4, Disc 2: Title 3)

May I ask a couple questions :3

What does it mean if Checked Regions = ?
All it means is that there is an instruction on the disc that checks for that region, but that's all the checker can say about it. How that check is used can range from blocking or allowing that region to showing different titles, subtitle tracks, etc....
Most of the time, however, there's just one check at the first MovieObject for the purpose of region locking.

A more useful approach is to actually 'execute' the instructions to see which region ends up where. However, with just the MovieObject.bdmv there are cases where you can't really tell which is the 'correct' destination.

and how are you parsing the MovieObject.bdmv since I'm interested at looking at the data
I simply based my code on the libbluray project (libbluray - VideoLAN). The source code for the checker is also online (GitHub - IdiomaticLynx/bd-region-check), but if you want to fiddle with it, I'd recommend using libbluray as a starting point.

If there's anything in particular you'd like to know, feel free to ask. ;)

I don't know what it means, but I got that with Hanasaku Iroha, which is locked to Region A supposedly, but which I can access on my Region B Panasonic player using the Top menu button.
As NormanicGrav pointed out, it will still state Region A on the checker, for the simple reason that there is a check for region A on the disc. The checker does not try and determine whether or not this can be bypassed, as that would require knowing which title contains the content.

I might look into outputting more detailed information, as the information whether or not a title can be skipped/navigated from, is present.

All it means is that there is an instruction on the disc that checks for that region, but that's all the checker can say about it. How that check is used can range from blocking or allowing that region to showing different titles, subtitle tracks, etc....
Most of the time, however, there's just one check at the first MovieObject for the purpose of region locking.

A more useful approach is to actually 'execute' the instructions to see which region ends up where. However, with just the MovieObject.bdmv there are cases where you can't really tell which is the 'correct' destination.

I simply based my code on the libbluray project (libbluray - VideoLAN). The source code for the checker is also online (GitHub - IdiomaticLynx/bd-region-check), but if you want to fiddle with it, I'd recommend using libbluray as a starting point.

If there's anything in particular you'd like to know, feel free to ask. ;)

As NormanicGrav pointed out, it will still state Region A on the checker, for the simple reason that there is a check for region A on the disc. The checker does not try and determine whether or not this can be bypassed, as that would require knowing which title contains the content.

I might look into outputting more detailed information, as the information whether or not a title can be skipped/navigated from, is present.
The checker gave a question mark for Hanasaku Iroha, not Region A, which is why I mentioned it in the context of the quote.

The checker gave a question mark for Hanasaku Iroha, not Region A, which is why I mentioned it in the context of the quote.
Ah.... that's strange, probably a bug :rolleyes:
Most likely there is a check for the region code, but not against a (simple) value, causing the checker to interpret a random value as region code, resulting in the question mark.

Yet I can't find a single forum with a list of Australian region 2 titles.
Probably due to everyone using VLC or a multi region dvd player, look at what happened with Mangas release of Naruto Shippuden 21.

Plus that agreement is no longer in effect and only applies to older titles authored in the noughties and early 2010s.

Both of these Sentai releases worked in my UK PS4

Okamikakushi: Masque of the Wolf
Brynhilder in the Darkness

I'm also selling both on the forum :p

Back