Your viewing journal

Completed all FMP! in the last month. Ended with second raid today.

I

first season either didn't age well or it's straight average, I'm not even talking about the animation cause it's rather old looking by today's standards, but the overall structure of direction feels weird. The character interactions feel forced and the writing isn't any good. The supposed impact scenes are cringy to say the least. Now, the characters themselves aren't bad.. makes it watchable. The schools comedy parts are legit fun in several cases...

Fumoffu!

It's fun, I mean it takes what was best of the first season and explores it. Animation and art clearly got a upgrade here, thanks to KyoAni. Not all is great tho, got pacing issues that kill some jokes to me, the new characters are rather forgettable and not funny.. so it's hit or miss all season. but it's better than the 1st season for sure.

Second raid.

After Fumoffu I was aware it wouldn't have much comedy in it, and considering it was the part I liked about it, my expectations were quite low.. while I expected good animations sequences (KyoAni doing it again), the drama was so sub par so far that I couldn't expect much. Now it started withing my expectations, the first LN covered was about as good as the best the 1st season offered me on those parts. But, thankfully, it gets better the main character gets a massive character development, the general story heats up, the pacing gets way better... the new character add positive to the mix. And the last 5-6 eps are quite good, ep 9 in particular is top.

So yeah, looking forward to the next season.

I'm trying to watch Mushi-shi season 1 on the Funimation app on the PS4. I'm liking it quite a lot, but the app (at least in non-subscription mode) is terrible. Constant mini buffering and when it hits the ad it often resets to the start of the episode. I tried the mobile app whilst mirroring to my TV and it was better, but it drains the battery fast and strangely the ads are different (and more obnoxious, who wants ads for Dragonball when watching a mainly calm show like Mushi-shi. At least the X-files one on the PS4 complimented the show a little more). So I either sign up (and hope it is better, anyones experience would be welcome) or suffer through the problems till the end so can watch the second season on a better app (Netflix)

The Eccentric Family-Episodes 3-5

My biggest takeaway from this so far is the excellent production values. The animation and music are amazing! Show itself is entertaining too, Yasaburo is a pretty fun character, and Benten seems like she has more going on than meets the eye. I do hope it goes into some past events, such as how Yasaburo and Benten met that old Tengu and the whole incident with him hurting his back.

Aho Girl-Episode 4

Sayaka is too precious for this cast.

New Game!!-Episode 3

Finally, more Nene!

Dragon Ball-Episodes 14 and 15

God, I totally forgot Launch was even a thing given she was cut out of Kai completely.

So i may sound weird by this, but after watching the first two episodes of Hajimete no Gal(My first girlfriend is a Gal) i actually think it's not awful. I know, sounds crazy right? But hear me out. The idea to me about this is all about judging a book by it's cover all to literally and making a judgement of character before you actually know someone. i feel that Yukana is completely misjudged all the time because of purely how she dresses and has a bit more confidence than you're average girl, but she still is fairly innocent underneath all that. It's fairly spot on in that regard because hey, guess what people do in the real world? judge too quickly. Yukana is most likely making it worse for herself, but hey. The main male lead, Jun'ichi is a mixed bag. He's so desperate for more that the only time anything happens that's too crazy is in his head, but seems to catch on as things go that it's maybe not as "easy" as he hoped. Love is hard yo.

So i may sound weird by this, but after watching the first two episodes of Hajimete no Gal(My first girlfriend is a Gal) i actually think it's not awful.

I would agree that there is the germ of a good idea lurking in there and, had they pushed the elements you've just described more to the fore, I think they could have done something rather pleasing with the show, but going on what I read of the manga, it was quite happy to spin its wheels and just rehash the usual romcom tropes underneath a thick layer of muck.

I don't know, maybe the anime will be better in the long run, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ah that is disappointing if so. there is actually a nice idea hiding somewhere under it all, i was hoping it would be executed better but i guess this will be the best we can get in the long run. Ah well. It started good, that's the main thing i guess

Dragon Ball-Episodes 16-20

Hoorah, the tournament has finally begun.

NTR: Netsuzou Trap-Episode 4

Wew, that ending was a bit lewd. I've heard the manga goes even further, I must read those first two volumes I bought at some point.

The Eccentric Family-Episodes 6-9

Its weird how this show manages to feel like it has a plot when there isn't really one at all, if that makes sense. Like, we spend a lot of time on Yasaburo's Dad and his whole death and the circumstances around it kinda feel like a story, but it comes in dribs and drabs to the point where you barely even notice it. It's odd but I actually really like it.

Boruto: Naruto next Generations episode 17

Kids on the Slope episodes 9-12 (Complete. Man Shinichirō Watanabe is amazing, one of the best anime directors in the business. Every one of his projects has impressed me a lot (haven't seen Terror in Resonance yet mind you). The characters and their interactions are very well done, taking the ever tired love-triangle(square?) and making it interesting, whilst also providing well-rounded characters with relatable issues and back stories. Yurika and Junichi aren't really as developed as the main trio but the focus is where it's supposed to be.

My complaints are that the content from the last volume of the manga was condensed and the material from the bonus volume would have made the ending better, I definitely recommend seeking out the final two volumes for a more satisfying conclusion. I also found the relationship between Kaoru and Ritsuko a little muddled at times, but then again I guess that makes it all the more realistic, with both sides making mistakes and selfish decisions, only to balance it out with selflessness and sincere affection. As I stated before the manga ending makes all of this more satisfying. That aside I really liked the overall story, and the injection of jazz into the core of the narrative is brilliantly done. It's a must watch!)
4/5

K-on!
episodes 1-2

Back