Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

No bonus features on Studio Canal's Ocean Waves blu-ray.
This wouldn't be disappointing were it not for the fact GKIDS actually included the following in the US:
. Layouts
. Looking Back: Staff Reunion
. U.S. Trailer
. The Ghiblies Episode 2

No bonus features on Studio Canal's Ocean Waves blu-ray.
This wouldn't be disappointing were it not for the fact GKIDS actually included the following in the US:
. Layouts
. Looking Back: Staff Reunion
. U.S. Trailer
. The Ghiblies Episode 2
Lucky you werent bitten by watamote. I like the series itself but it was 20 qhid for the series and clean OP ED no bonus stuff no collectors stuff. Theres alot out there with more featires

Its the only one i have that seems so bare, granted ive gone for completes and collectors, the only other ine id say is weak in my collection is ergo proxy, and that has a few tv spots. Id say check the KLK and Claymore CEs to see why I'm comparatively disappointed with watamote

Its the only one i have that seems so bare, granted ive gone for completes and collectors, the only other ine id say is weak in my collection is ergo proxy, and that has a few tv spots. Id say check the KLK and Claymore CEs to see why I'm comparatively disappointed with watamote

Not sure how much you own, but between being a fairly avid collector and reviewing a good amount of new releases, I tend to have a lot of anime on disc, and I can't even remember the last anime that had any worthwhile bonus features. It's mostly just clean OPs and EDs and cringe worthy dub cast commentaries no one is going to listen to. The Tatami Galaxy had a cool subtitled interview, and Lucky Star came with a whole disc of extras, but barring those two I'd struggle to think of any.

yeah Anime releases don't tend to have many special features, sometimes you'll get some commentaries, a short documentary or VA interviews but it's usually handled by the company that makes the dub, which I know is a turn off for many (I don't care for commentaries but some interview featurettes I've liked)

Shows the quality in having interviews with the creators in booklets. AL usually have one or two in theirs and they're nice little insights.

US Kaguya BD came with the 86 min documentary Isao Takahata and his Tale of The Princess Kaguya, in the UK it was released separately on DVD.

I got that last week. where have you been?
I guess he was refering to the faults of the Kaze release.

Here are a few if you really need some Kappa
nS2i2Z2.png

Last edited:
Really?.....okay then that's surprising considering I avoid Kaze releases like the plauge (which is a shame cause I so wanna check out The Future Diary)

Lets be honest, they have done many crappy sub standard releases in the past but at the same time its worth acknowledging when they get something right. I just hope it continues.

I've only been getting a few disc releases recently and OPM is the only one i noticed that is from kaze. I do get the thing about it having excessive labels but to me it's about the actual content. Me and my brother watched through the dub and it's a pretty solid release. I would say though I got the steelbook of elfen lied if anyone can tell me more about who released it. I've noticed even smooth hairstyles have an outline that's jaggy as hell especiallY against a bright plain background like in front of another character's skin. It's the problem with upscaling the dvd resolution

Last edited:
I've only been getting a few disc releases recently and OPM is the only one i noticed that is from kaze. I do get the thing about it having excessive labels but to me it's about the actual content. Me and my brother watched through the dub and it's a pretty solid release. I would say though I got the steelbook of elfen lied if anyone can tell me more about who released it. I've noticed even smooth hairstyles have an outline that's jaggy as hell especiallY against a bright plain background like in front of another character's skin. It's the problem with upscaling the dvd resolution

Elfen Lied is 101 Films I think. And yeah, it's just a poor upscale.

The cover art is not best regarding OPM but as long as the content is adequate and not sub-par, riddled errors or has poor video quality that's the most important.

What's are your opinions on the upcoming JoJo bluray UK release it just screams Kaze being lazy and problems waiting to happen, they shoved 26 episodes on to 3 discs spreading over one more disc wouldn't have hurt just like the viz media counterpart.

What's are your opinions on the upcoming JoJo bluray UK release it just screams Kaze being lazy and problems waiting to happen, they shoved 26 episodes on to 3 discs spreading over one more disc wouldn't have hurt just like the viz media counterpart.
Don't get me wrong, there's no way I'm defending Kaze, but provided you have a good encoder there isn't a problem using 3xBD50 discs. I'll use Viz as an example here. Viz use 2 BD50s for 12/13 episodes regardless, but their output has, and continues to suffer from every problem under the sun. Issues like their early BDs using interlaced TV materials, incorrect brightness (most releases until K Missing Kings), incorrect colours which also causes issues (Definitely since Sailor Moon Crystal), as well as flat out bad encoding (Gargantia is a great example of this. One of the worst BDs I own.) The only releases they've put out which are actually what I'd consider flawless have been done by Justin - so Accel World and Blood Lad.

Don't do what I used to and base the quality of a release on something like disc count. The discs are only as good as the encoder, and even then good encoders have bad releases (See Lupin III Jigen's Gravestone from Justin as a prime example). With the exception of Aniplex USA who use the video from the Japanese discs, modern Sentai are the only company who're consistently good with their A/V presentation.

Can't speak for modern Kaze though. I've been boycotting them since 2012/13 as they were always the worst, or near the bottom in every single category when it came to BD quality. Given their track record and how they still cheap out on releases I doubt anything has changed though. Personally I'll be grabbing Viz's release of Jojo, but I fully expect the colours to be off with some potential banding and compression issues as a result. (OPM looked okay, K not so much.)

Last edited:
Back