Overseas Upcoming Non-UK Anime BD/DVD Artwork

[DE] Nipponart

Ergo Proxy
[Blu-Ray] - SRP 59.95€
71s33rYUifL._SL1084_.jpg

Haibane Renmei
[Blu-Ray] - SRP 59.95€
818x0EygfeL._SL1500_.jpg
It's unclear if the art is final or not, since it'll be released in November it's still subject to changes.

Nadia (1/3) [Blu-Ray] - SRP 59.95€
XWVoGa5.jpg

[DE] Peppermint Anime

Wolf's Rain [Blu-Ray] - SRP 69.99€
71VFATVt9CL._SL1200_.jpg

The prices seems to go down in Germany these days. Too many distributors overbidding in the past-recent years and price reaching up to 150€ for a 12-eps series has probably killed the market. Exactly what has happened in France few years ago and seems to be happening again because one distrib' is particularly retarded. g-r-e-a-t.

[DE] Nipponart

Ergo Proxy
[Blu-Ray] - SRP 59.95€
71s33rYUifL._SL1084_.jpg

Haibane Renmei
[Blu-Ray] - SRP 59.95€
818x0EygfeL._SL1500_.jpg
It's unclear if the art is final or not, since it'll be released in November it's still subject to changes.

Nadia (1/3) [Blu-Ray] - SRP 59.95€
XWVoGa5.jpg

[DE] Peppermint Anime

Wolf's Rain [Blu-Ray] - SRP 69.99€
71VFATVt9CL._SL1200_.jpg

The prices seems to go down in Germany these days. Too many distributors overbidding in the past-recent years and price reaching up to 150€ for a 12-eps series has probably killed the market. Exactly what has happened in France few years ago and seems to be happening again because one distrib' is particularly retarded. g-r-e-a-t.
I got burned so hard with the Nipponart BD release of GitS:SAC. I don't know if it was my Blu-ray player but it had some subtitle issues and the video was pretty choppy as in lower framerate during some scenes. Granted it didn't have the black bars like some other releases do which is nice but the other issues are just bad.

I got burned so hard with the Nipponart BD release of GitS:SAC. I don't know if it was my Blu-ray player but it had some subtitle issues and the video was pretty choppy as in lower framerate during some scenes. Granted it didn't have the black bars like some other releases do which is nice but the other issues are just bad.
The SAC BDs in Japan/Korea are 1080i30, reason being that the CGi was done at 30fps and BDs do not support 1080p30. From what you're saying it sounds like the publisher encoded it at 1080p24, thereby dropping six frames each second which would explain why it looks so choppy.
SAC should also have slight black bars on the top and bottom of the image unless they've also decided to crop the overall picture.

Finally on Blu-ray! I hope MVM will take notice, even though they re-released it on DVD last year. It still looks as bad as it did in 2003, so any visual upgrade is welcome.
Not to crush your hopes and dreams, but the Japanese BD is an upscale and looks equally awful.

Yeah. I'd love a Haibane Renmei BD if only for nice limited edition packaging and whatnot (being that it's a fantastic show that deserves some nice treatment). In terms of video quality, however, it might be one of the worst upscales out there.

Not to crush your hopes and dreams, but the Japanese BD is an upscale and looks equally awful.

I'm sorry but it is far from being awful, especially when you consider the original Geneon release (that was the one distributed worldwide). That one was especially blurry and had other issues. The blu-ray is a definite improvement over it. I wouldn't go and call it very good but it's still worth the upgrade unlike some titles like, say, Gankutsuō (where the blu-ray brings just nothing. you can straight compare it with DVD, it will just match and someone might even missmatch the screens if they aren't aware).
There are some comparison screeenshot on this Haibane fansite (bottom of the page): Sekai no Hajimari -- A Haibane Renmei fan page

So yeah, anyone calling it one of the worse upscale out there is definitely wrong. Most people who haven't seen it or haven't compared it with the previous releases say that, curiously.

I'm sorry but it is far from being awful, especially when you consider the original Geneon release (that was the one distributed worldwide). That one was especially blurry and had other issues. The blu-ray is a definite improvement over it. I wouldn't go and call it very good but it's still worth the upgrade unlike some titles like, say, Gankutsuō (where the blu-ray brings just nothing. you can straight compare it with DVD, it will just match and someone might even missmatch the screens if they aren't aware).
There are some comparison screeenshot on this Haibane fansite (bottom of the page): Sekai no Hajimari -- A Haibane Renmei fan page

So yeah, anyone calling it one of the worse upscale out there is definitely wrong. Most people who haven't seen it or haven't compared it with the previous releases say that, curiously.
Thank you, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I know it will never look as good as a new show created in HD, but upscales can still be an improvement over the DVD.

Whilst it doesn't explicitly state what DVDs are used in that comparison, I'm going to assume they're the R2J discs and aren't representative of the US/UK releases. I say that because the DVD screens look way better than the BD. For the latter the line art is smeared to hell, and whilst the show appears to have a darker colour palette to start with, it's even more muted on the BD. Whilst I agree with you that Gankutsuou is worse than this, I would still be hesitant to call this an upgrade from what I've seen.

Found this comparison: Haibane Renmei : Screenshot Comparison
Sadly it doesn't specify which DVD release this is taken from. But I'm fairly certain this is from the 2010 DVD release which use the Blu-Ray remaster as a source, hence the pretty much matching quality. But the previous DVD sets in Japan and the ones released elsewhere are just not that good. So it's still an upgrade for us baka gaijin.

[DE - Peppermint] Trigun DVD
  • A4 format
  • DVD cases are just thrown into the box tho
sBOSWBh.png

[DE - Peppermint] Haikyu
  • Artcase is a 10€ Akibapass shop exclusive
534205564.jpg
534205502.jpg

US | Maiden Japan

The Good Witch of the West: Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
91MBCMYg9pL._SL_.jpg

81KIA%2BAD6zL._SL_.jpg

The Good Witch of the West: Complete Collection [DVD]
91SryR9iQBL._SL_.jpg

81azHzpykBL._SL_.jpg

Hinako: Complete Collection [Combo]
81eDD3n9%2BiL._SL_.jpg

81okd4Y0SLL._SL_.jpg

US | Sentai Filmworks

Bakuon!!: Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
kMH2IS8.jpg

wGAAavD.jpg

Bakuon!!: Complete Collection [DVD]
XC2Fwy7.jpg

FetmZ4r.jpg

Beyond the Boundary -I'll Be Here- [Combo]
81QOf-5SiDL._SL_.jpg

81L4UKlLIgL._SL_.jpg

Chihayafuru: Season 1 Collection [Blu-ray]
91lHJgf0FpL._SL_.jpg

81C14UQqtEL._SL_.jpg

Chihayafuru: Season 1 Collection [DVD]
91A2aFAMDgL._SL_.jpg

815YBztLkfL._SL_.jpg

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: Season 1 Collection [Blu-ray]
91q-FwLscPL._SL_.jpg

819oEhIeohL._SL_.jpg

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: Season 1 Collection [DVD]
9145BgfhIML._SL_.jpg

81JFLaw6ojL._SL_.jpg

Golden Time: Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
91g1RKL94vL._SL_.jpg

81Y9i8lKi8L._SL_.jpg

Matoi the Sacred Slayer: Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
916%2BlTCu5GL._SL_.jpg

81ttQgk5%2BBL._SL_.jpg

Matoi the Sacred Slayer: Complete Collection [DVD]
91NBzZuplUL._SL_.jpg

81SuNUqwt3L._SL_.jpg

Onigirl: Complete Collection (Shop Exclusive Edition) [Combo]
ONIGIRI_816726026008_04_00_1012x1080_0ef2dec9-b0ec-496c-aac6-3707f4ea67c4.jpg

ONIGIRI_816726026008_01_00_1012x1080_94098d73-7466-449e-854c-756b572982fd.jpg

ONIGIRI_816726026008_02_00_1012x1080_d7e85adc-c294-41fa-a002-51b8abf1d648.jpg
ONIGIRI_816726026008_07_00_1012x1080_0c326100-e473-4813-999e-10a03b33b23b.jpg

ONIGIRI_816726026008_06_00_1012x1080_99e8cf92-4742-4df1-b9dc-a5d0d91ccca0.jpg

ONIGIRI_816726026008_08_00_1012x1080_5d533b80-200e-4fb1-ad32-10b471453b56.jpg

Tamako -love story- [Combo]
813x72NOJdL._SL_.jpg

81iq8aWvaRL._SL_.jpg

Ushio & Tora: Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
91CQp8m8gnL._SL_.jpg

81RmCgfP0oL._SL_.jpg

Ushio & Tora: Complete Collection [DVD]
91RPiVzT3JL._SL_.jpg

81fMcPY3cxL._SL_.jpg

All 3 of them have less than 5 on MAL, and I'm not sure of the other two, but Sleeping With Hinako is literally almost 50 minutes of just watching her sleep.

Back