The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

nooooo really???...how come?
Not you too, Dave!? :p

A few reasons, really. There was a £10 difference between the DVD and BD versions, and this is a blind buy for me. The DVD version spreads the series across three discs, so I'm thinking the video quality's gonna be pretty good. So the only material thing I stood to gain from the BD version was the 80-odd-page booklet, which I didn't think was worth the £10 difference. I could yet live to regret this, though!

I haven't opened it yet, so I've still got three weeks to change my mind and upgrade if I wanted to.

After much umming and ahing, I placed my order for the Your Name CE (First Press Edition) and the FLCL BD Box from amazon.jp. £146 for a film and a 6 episode series kinda hurts so this order may be changed before it ships and I may end up with the UK/US FLCL instead ;_; It was also about £2 cheaper this morning.... Having never pre-ordered from Amazon.jp, I didn't realize they wouldn't ship it until release day as it's not due until the 29th-31st apparently.

Last edited:
After much umming and ahing, I placed my order for the Your Name CE (First Press Edition) and the FLCL BD Box from amazon.jp. £146 for a film and a 6 episode series kinda hurts so this order may be changed before it ships and I may end up with the UK/US FLCL instead ;_; It was also about £2 cheaper this morning.... Having never pre-ordered from Amazon.jp, I didn't realize they wouldn't ship it until release day as it's not due until the 29th-31st apparently.
My man! I actually ordered the Your Name CE today as well. With Anime Ltd's refusal to give any hints on whether or not a 4K disc is coming from them, I didn't want to take the risk of missing out on it.

Does the 4K rip come with English subs? If not, it's gonna be kinda useless to most people.
Every single site that I've seen it on states that it's only the extras that aren't subtitled, the movie itself should have english subs on both the 4K disc and the regular BD judging by the information that we have on hand.

Yeah the Amazon.jp listing (which is written in English for whatever reason) states that the 4k disc has English subs too. I'll be honest though, I'm already rethinking my order and I might drop down to the 3 disc version :/ I mean I can't watch the 4k disc, I can't read the script as it's in Japanese, I can't watch all the extras as they're not subbed and if I'm being perfectly honest here (and I know I'm probably about to be blasted for this) I actually don't see much (if any) difference between 1080p and 4k unless I'm really close to the TV.....

There's about a £26 difference between the two and it seems kinda silly to spend £26 more for stuff that is useless to me, but then it's a bit silly to be importing a movie I've never seen at either price :/ I hate being so indecisive.

Yeah the Amazon.jp listing (which is written in English for whatever reason) states that the 4k disc has English subs too. I'll be honest though, I'm already rethinking my order and I might drop down to the 3 disc version :/ I mean I can't watch the 4k disc, I can't read the script as it's in Japanese, I can't watch all the extras as they're not subbed and if I'm being perfectly honest here (and I know I'm probably about to be blasted for this) I actually don't see much (if any) difference between 1080p and 4k unless I'm really close to the TV.....

There's about a £26 difference between the two and it seems kinda silly to spend £26 more for stuff that is useless to me, but then it's a bit silly to be importing a movie I've never seen at either price :/ I hate being so indecisive.
I don't own a 4K tv or player atm either but I know that I eventually will in the future so I'm just covering for that time. And with UHD discs you're not only getting the benefit of a higher resolution, but also HDR for much better colors if the movie supports it and I'm assuming that it does since the pic Shinkai tweeted has the HDR tag on it.

DFFjkWjVwAEzU5_.jpg:large

I don't own a 4K tv or player atm either but I know that I eventually will in the future so I'm just covering for that time. And with UHD discs you're not only getting the benefit of a higher resolution, but also HDR for much better colors if the movie supports it and I'm assuming that it does since the pic Shinkai tweeted has the HDR tag on it.

DFFjkWjVwAEzU5_.jpg:large

Do all 4K TVs do HDR?

I've tried, but I still can't wrap my head around how HDR works in terms of animation that isn't being real-time rendered and why you'd need a special TV to display it. As far as I understand it HDR is multiple lighting passes - I mean with 3D animation, you could render it using HDR and then any TV could display that rendered version. 2D animation... I don't even understand how HDR can apply because it isn't lit and can't be because it's flat. The light isn't real, it's drawn onto the image. Surely you could just draw it to look like HDR and it would? Apologies for slightly off-topic.

I've tried, but I still can't wrap my head around how HDR works in terms of animation that isn't being real-time rendered and why you'd need a special TV to display it. As far as I understand it HDR is multiple lighting passes - I mean with 3D animation, you could render it using HDR and then any TV could display that rendered version. 2D animation... I don't even understand how HDR can apply because it isn't lit and can't be because it's flat. The light isn't real, it's drawn onto the image. Surely you could just draw it to look like HDR and it would? Apologies for slightly off-topic.
Short version in a picture:
colour_infographic.jpg

Here's an article explaining it. HDR TV: What is it? How can you get it?

After much umming and ahing, I placed my order for the Your Name CE (First Press Edition) and the FLCL BD Box from amazon.jp.
Update: I've canceled this order lol I just can't justify paying that for Your Name, especially when it's that price because of all those extras that I can't watch/read, so I'll just wait on Anime Limited on this one. As for FLCL, well I still want that but I dunno, we'll see I guess. The actual thing that pushed me to cancel was my desk chair breaking as now I need to buy a new one of them too.

Back