Your viewing journal

Black Lagoon season 1 complete. Trying to get these watched before they go from Netflix on Monday. So far that's been far from a chore with its fast paced action and occasional funny moments.

My First Girlfriend is a Gal ep1

Agreed to watch this as I said I'd help out with a friend's podcast, which now seems like a regrettable life decision. Got about as far as the introduction of the oppai loli sister before switching it off.

Black Lagoon season 2 1-3. My god that went dark, pitch f**king black!

I still maintain that Maid to Kill is one of the single greatest anime episodes ever made.
Yeah, part of probably the best mini arc of the season, I did like the nods to T2. I guess it was quite popular with people as it seems they returned to the characters for a third season.

Black Lagoon season 2 1-3. My god that went dark, pitch f**king black!

Yeah, part of probably the best mini arc of the season, I did like the nods to T2. I guess it was quite popular with people as it seems they returned to the characters for a third season.

I remember that arc in season 2 very well and its probably one of the darkest stories i've seen animated, no wonder they went for more light hearted stuff after it.

My Hero Academia Season 2-Episode 15

Well, things certainly just got interesting.

Strawberry Marshmallow-Episodes 1 and 2

The tone, pacing and general feel of this show seems very familiar yet I can't place my finger on exactly what.

Made in Abyss-Episode 2

Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
-Episode 3

AKB0048
-Episodes 10-13 (Complete)

So there issues I had with this series sadly didn't resolve themselves, nor did I expect them to really. Although the execution is good, managing to balance such a large cast surprisingly well considering it's only 13 episodes in the first season, I take issue with AKB at a conceptual level. My only idol anime comparison point is the Love Live franchise, which I adore, and compared to that, AKB seems to lack a lot of the heart of what made Love Live so great. In Love Live, the idol group was made from the ground up due to the direct efforts of every member of the group. µ's wouldn't have been µ's
if not for Honoka's leadership, Umi's lyrics, Kotori's costume design and dressmaking, Maki's music, Eli's dancing experience, etc, it felt like the girls all put their all into making the group what they were. By comparison, the AKB girls are pretty much doing as they're told. Sure, they practise hard, but they don't make the music, or write the lyrics, or choreograph their dances or make their own costumes, it's all just handed to them, and that makes it feel a lot less personal and lacking any kind of soul. The whole successor thing just seems really bizarre and unneeded too. Why does each girl need to match the personality traits of one of the original AKB members or whatever? It just seems weird and kinda cultish. Another annoyance was that a lot of the premise seemed based around the concept of planets having entertainment bans in place to prevent idol performances, but they never explain why a ton of people want entertainment banned, let alone how it became enforced law on so many planets. So much of the story hinges on this that it somewhat ruins a lot of it by the fact this entertainment ban is totally irrational and unexplained. Maybe the second season explains it, but it's such an important point that the fact it wasn't explained in the opening episode is astounding.

My hero Academia episode 28

Hunter x Hunter
episodes 61-75 I'm really enjoying the series so far, wanna finish it before it expires on Netflix though.

Last edited:
Back