To be honest, I just rolled my eyes at 90% of it. Looks like we might have finally have gone through most of the good light novels...

Until someone taps into KyoAni and rescue Gosick (TokyoPop had it), that's not true! :(

Until someone taps into KyoAni and rescue Gosick (TokyoPop had it), that's not true! :(

If KyoAni were possible, somebody would probably have done it by now.

I kinda hope Yen Press slows down the acquisitions right now, most of this stuff looks like pap. I'd hate for somebody to make the mistake of reading that having previously read a good light novel.

Interesting to the type of stuff Yen has licensed. A lot of it seems better suited to digital only, J-novel release rather than full print runs.
I'm glad they're going physical with these titles, I'd have no interest in even trying them were they digital-only.

I'm surprised we haven't had Highschool DxD yet, people want it, the series (presumably) sold super well & the title's well known. Asking price too much? or something? Baffles me otherwise.

Failed Knight would be nice, Eccentric Family's a novel isn't it? What else? .. Kino's Journey & Full Metal Panic given the new adaptions. Violet Evergarden ..Horizon in the middle of nowhere .. can't think of much else..

EDIT: Katanagatari! there we go. That's likely a Vertical option though.

Oh, I had no idea KyoAni were even a publisher, I thought you just meant the novels they based their shows on in general.
KyoAni publish a lot of the light novels their recent shows have been based on, including Beyond the Boundary, Chuunibyo and High Speed! (the novels which Free! is loosely adapted from). It would be a major boon if somebody got them, but so far they have failed to materialise.

I'm glad they're going physical with these titles, I'd have no interest in even trying them were they digital-only.

I won't buy full volumes digitally, but I just think the J-novel way of releasing them in parts is a business medium that means I read a lot more light novels than I otherwise would. With titles of questionable quality, like some of these seem to be, I'm just thinking it might have driven the interest more.

KyoAni publish a lot of the light novels their recent shows have been based on, including Beyond the Boundary, Chuunibyo and High Speed! (the novels which Free! is loosely adapted from). It would be a major boon if somebody got them, but so far they have failed to materialise.

I know Sam of J-Novels was saying he was talking to KyoAni, so perhaps something will eventually come of that. I hope so anyway

I won't buy full volumes digitally, but I just think the J-novel way of releasing them in parts is a business medium that means I read a lot more light novels than I otherwise would. With titles of questionable quality, like some of these seem to be, I'm just thinking it might have driven the interest more.

To be honest, that's just your own loss at this point, digital guarantees delivery on release date, isn't subject to stock shortages, is generally cheaper and has accessibility options. With Yen's commitment to reissuing as much as possible digitally, I'm not sure physical makes any sense anymore, unless you're obsessed with the smell and feel of paper.

KyoAni weren't the publisher of GOSICK either - Fujimi Mystery Bunko was the original one, but it was rereleased under Kadokawa Beans Bunko.

KyoAni have hardly any light novels, are stupidly selective about what they will publish, and refuse to let most bookshops in Japan sell their releases, let alone foreign publishing companies.

There are a huge number of great light novel series that have not been licensed. Fujimi Fantasia Bunko is, as usual, a major part of this.

I'm honestly surprised Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry hasn't been picked up yet.

--

Anyway, as for my thoughts on this latest batch of licenses, I'll pick up the Goblin Slayer volume, of course. And I'll be getting ImoIi (as one of the few people who was actually pleasantly surprised by the ending of the Haganai novels, I don't have any aversion from that - and Gagaga = best light novel label so yeah).

I'll admit that the other 3 weren't things that particularly appealed to me at first glance. The vending machine one had a lot of people requesting it to be licensed, but I had always assumed that most of them were joking. I'll get the first volume, though, as it could make quite a decent comedy. As for the other two - I've been somewhat curious about the Slow Life subgenre for quite a while, but never gotten around to actually buying any. I guess these provide a nice example of both halves of the genre. So I'll probably end up getting all of them. Like usual.

To be honest, that's just your own loss at this point, digital guarantees delivery on release date, isn't subject to stock shortages, is generally cheaper and has accessibility options. With Yen's commitment to reissuing as much as possible digitally, I'm not sure physical makes any sense anymore, unless you're obsessed with the smell and feel of paper.

Or don't like reading books on a screen. Or don't like having your ability to read stuff dependant on the continuation of the current technological paradigm, or on your e-reader not breaking for whatever reason. Or to be able to leave it somewhere without worrying about it getting stolen - and if it is stolen then that's only one book lost rather than a comparatively expensive e-reader.

Physical books have various other advantages as well, like being easier to flip through the pages. Or being easier to lend to other people.

But we've had this argument many times before.

Or don't like reading books on a screen. Or don't like having your ability to read stuff dependant on the continuation of the current technological paradigm, or on your e-reader not breaking for whatever reason. Or to be able to leave it somewhere without worrying about it getting stolen - and if it is stolen then that's only one book lost rather than a comparatively expensive e-reader.

Physical books have various other advantages as well, like being easier to flip through the pages. Or being easier to lend to other people.

But we've had this argument many times before.

Given the incessant stock shortages, leading to the essential unavailability of many recent light novel releases from many mainstream retailers, I think it would be hard to argue Kindle hasn't become a much nicer buying experience in recent months. But hopefully Diamond Comics can sort themselves out.

I just hate the fact tablets run out of charge... I read for 12-14 hours at a time and changing tablets is a pain. I will buy digital as its better than nothing but I prefer physical. As for the new licences... not impressed. I'll try the first volumes though

Still no Saekano from yen, I'm losing all my hope.

Will get Imouto Sae Ireba Ii.

The slime series got some cute art to it, will check it out.

Paper books aren't region locked.
Neither are any light novels. I've yet to come across any light novel publisher that region locks and only one manga publisher that region locks (but it's Dark Horse, so it might as well not even be a manga publisher.)

In fact, I don't think I've ever come across any ebook available in the US, but not the UK, that hasn't subsequently been rectified.

Seven Seas have licensed:

Toradora!
- Romantic comedy light novel series published under Dengeki Bunko
- Series completed in Japan at 10 volumes
- Had a 2 cour anime adaptation that aired in Autumn 2008, and has spawned various other spin-offs. Seven Seas began releasing the manga adaptation in 2011.
- The series placed 2nd in the 2009 edition of Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!

They've also announced that they will be giving physical releases to Clockwork Planet and Arifureta, as well as announcing e-book versions of the 3 boogiepop volumes they released years ago.

Last edited:
Neither are any light novels. I've yet to come across any light novel publisher that region locks and only one manga publisher that region locks (but it's Dark Horse, so it might as well not even be a manga publisher.)

In fact, I don't think I've ever come across any ebook available in the US, but not the UK, that hasn't subsequently been rectified.

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't. This is Japanese companies we're talking about.

Back