UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

And it's £48.99 at AOL, so I don't see a problem.

You don't see a problem? Really you think this is good value? some art cards and a poster for £49? I'm getting Prison School for £35 and comes with a box and art book. The Deluxe edition is not good value whatever why to try and sell it.

I wonder if this is a one off or if all the Deluxe Editions are no longer coming with art cards.

most likely if its a Combi pack with 2 BDs, and 3 DVDs then the same issue will occur with not enough space.

If its a BD only release like My Love Story then it will have the artcards since there are no DVDs taking up the space.

You don't see a problem? Really you think this is good value? some art cards and a poster for £49? I'm getting Prison School for £35 and comes with a box and art book. The Deluxe edition is not good value whatever why to try and sell it.
Prison School isn't two-cour, you can't expect a two-cour title to be the same price as a one-cour.
Besides, an artbook is equally as irrelevant to me as posters and art cards. Now, storyboard books are a different matter.

Prison School isn't two-cour, you can't expect a two-cour title to be the same price as a one-cour.
Besides, an artbook is equally as irrelevant to me as posters and art cards. Now, storyboard books are a different matter.
I'm not too bothered if its art cards or a book or whatever but that price is too high should be £35-40

The extras are crummy but twice as much of the show itself should surely attract a higher price than a one-cour set on first release. Perhaps it should have been split in two, which would have been a more traditional Manganimatsu release pattern, but presumably there were concerns that with its genre (typically a hard sell) the sales would evaporate by the time part two arrived. So it's an experiment, presumably.

The perceived lack of value in the show itself is why romance drama never sells and why Jerome always complains about a female audience not existing. Though in my case I already imported the Sentai version. Boycotts are boycotts even when the show is fantastic :s

R

£35-£40 for two cours when one cour costs the same? Entitled much?
Are we not allowed to question pricing now? honestly I buy a lot of Manga releases but their Deluxe Edition pricing is too high. I wont mention Danmachi because I've already read your comments on it.

Btw Railgun S and Magical index 2 are going for £35 for 24 eps which seems fair so there are better examples

Are we not allowed to question pricing now? honestly I buy a lot of Manga releases but their Deluxe Edition pricing is too high. I wont mention Danmachi because I've already read your comments on it.

Btw Railgun S and Magical index 2 are going for £35 for 24 eps which seems fair so there are better examples
Upcoming Deluxe editions are Sentai sub-licenses.
Railgun/Index aren't from Sentai.
It's possible Sentai are at least part of the problem.

The perceived lack of value in the show itself is why romance drama never sells and why Jerome always complains about a female audience not existing.
I'm certainly not a female audience, and I intend to pick up Manga's release in a week or two. Would've bought on launch had my wages not been messed up last week.

Little butters season 1 retail price is £49.99 where's my love story's is 69.99
Call me cheap if you like but a shity poster and art cards aren't worth an extra £20 and let's take into account other 2 core collector editions release e.g berserk claymore you can't help but feel like your getting ducked in the ass

Yeah, really liked the animatic book that came with Rage of Bahamut.

Little butters season 1 retail price is £49.99 where's my love story's is 69.99
Call me cheap if you like but a shity poster and art cards aren't worth an extra £20 and let's take into account other 2 core collector editions release e.g berserk claymore you can't help but feel like your getting ducked in the ass
You're now comparing catalogue titles to new titles, but if you don't differentiate between them, each to their own, I guess.

I think it's fine for people to make their own pricing decisions, like to me 1 episode of My Love Story is worth about 10 episodes of Little Busters. But the goalposts are moving all over the place in this discussion and really demonstrating what an impossible job the studios have sometimes.

My Love Story: Two cours of fantastic episodes of top quality entertainment in a genre the UK usually leaves for dead, from 2015.
Little Busters: Two cours of the usual hijinks, from 2012.
Prison School: One cour, and some really nice packaging that some people (but not everyone) values as much as the actual show, from 2015.

It's priced because it's newer, a riskier release and more valuable to its licensor in Japan because it's newer and has a mainstream tie-in movie (which is also great). I'm sure if you wait 3 years, it will drop in value to be even cheaper than Little Busters is now. But if it was given a Prison School-style release, My Love Story would have been even pricier because it would contain double the content. AL decided that Prison School had the appeal to make it as a special edition, and it does look glorious. Manganimatsu decided that My Love Story would have been two expensive as a proper special edition (easily £65+) and went for a halfway house. Will the strategy succeed? Probably not, but I can't fault them for giving it a try. The more shoujo we get over here, the better.

R

I think £50 is reasonable given how many episodes that series is. The problem is that series half the length are slowly creeping up to that value (DanMachi was £50 at one point, Himouto is almost £40 on Amazon) and the contents don't really fit the deluxe name in a lot of cases. I don't have massive issues with pricing lately though, I just accept that anime is getting more expensive and I need to pick and choose...

I watched MLS on CR when it aired, but I'll probably pick up the set later. It was a really nice shojo series that we don't see often and should be supported so we get more in future!

Back