The General Conversation Area

Why do UKIP keep getting so much air time in this election!? They don't have a single MP and are on course to keep it that way after this election. Yet they get more air time than the Greens. It's a ******* joke.

Edit I was watching the last leg the other night and host said that the parties get airtime by how well they did at the last election and apparently ukip nearly 4 million votes so that's why there getting so much airtime

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that my thoughts go out to all those involved in the Manchester Arena Bombing last night. Such a sad state the world is in right now... and targeting somewhere which is bound to have a younger audience too. It's a disgrace! Well done you bastards, you must be so proud!

I live near Manchester and I've already found some of my friends and families were at the event, or had someone they loved there. Fortunately they have come away with minor cuts and bruises. Same can't be said for others though.

There are no words...

Absolutely sickening attack that was clearly targeting families & children. As a Mancunian I've seen several incidents down the years including the IRA bomb. This is far worse, I really feel for all the people caught up in this, my heart goes out to them.

I hope the general election is postponed. How can anyone expect to campaign after something like this?

This is the worst attack on this country for over a decade. It's not fair on anyone to have this election in this climate. It's the last thing anyone is going to want to get involved in, you can't divorce this horrific tragedy from politics. If the General Election goes ahead your just inviting utter poison across the board. This tragedy will be dragged into this campaign unless we delay it and I hope that happens soon so the families involved don't see their tragic losses used in order to get votes.

I haven't felt this affected by an event like this since the sheer horror that occurred in Norway, the world is really in a poor state right now.

I cannot and will not ever understand how anyone, regardless of their beliefs and convictions, can ever believe that innocent people are legitimate targets.

By all means blow up Theresa May or Donald Trump, the world would probably thank you for it, but goddamn Ariana Grande fans? Kids? Just how far gone do you have to be to see that as part of some sort of noble struggle or striking a blow for your cause? To genuinely believe that such apolitical innocents deserve to die?

@ayase, is that a Claymore Avatar, and if it is, did you finish the manga? I put if down a few years ago fully intending to pick it back up but never did.

Sorry for the sudden topic change. I know everyone is hurting with what's happened, I just don't want to drag the forum down. This was an act of mass murder pure and simple! I refuse to except that someone thought there was any meaning behind this! Terrorist Regimes gain power through fear and promotion of the their action through news and other media. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking that this horrifying situation is going to benefit them in anyway.
Don't feel bad @kuuderes_shadow, you're not to blame. Just all this pisses me off... sorry... this is why I was going for an alternative topic... my question still stands @ayase.

Lemon is right, it is indeed Annie. Taken from a side-story manga I haven't actually read (just had to get that profile in there, her nose is too cute).

I realise the potential irony in decrying innocent deaths while having someone responsible for countless innocent deaths in her universe as my avatar but hopefully sane people can tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

I finished my course, thus I have finished University.

This month I had just one module left - developing a game for PlayStation 4 with a group. We did it in the end, and for Non-Disclosure reasons I can't delve any deeper into it but overall we did our best to polish it up to a good standard. It was even selected to be part of the Final Year Show but I can't attend because I have business to sort out with my Visual Arts Society since I'm pretty much the President at this point (that's what everyone aside from the President himself is calling me).

So far my Year 3 results are:
  • 3D Games Prototyping - ???
  • Games Software Project Management - 65.8% [2.1]
  • Mobile Applications Development - 83% [1st]
  • Project SEGM - ???
  • Real-Time 3D Techniques - 48% [Pass]
3DGP is looking to be a potential high 2.1 or even a 1st depending on whether our game is good enough for the teachers marking it. However Project SEGM is looking to be a disaster - it's worth 2 modules equivalent so the average marking is worse (if it was worth 1 module, then passing that at 40% would still get me an overall 2.1 grade across the year). I need [60% 3DGP + 52% Project] or [83% 3DGP + 40% Project] to get me a 2.1 overall otherwise I'll either fail the year or just get an average score of 58-59%.

Well either way, I tried my best and it's better than what I got in my second year so that's something. I won't be returning back home just yet, next week I will but for now I want to just reflect on Sheffield and how long I've been here for.

It is in the university's own interests to see their students obtaining 2:1 results. Depending on the circumstances of your situation, you may find the remaining marks working to your favour when it comes to the final classification!

I've just been blocked on twitter for (to the best of my knowledge) the first time ever. My offense? Daring to passively point out to someone that Twickenham is North of the River Thames. How utterly nefarious I was being.

So I checked into a London hotel earlier today ready for MCM. With a good few hours to kill, and with the new Pirates of the Caribbean out today I decided to check online for nearby local Cinemas. Closest one appeared to be at the O2. Whilst the Etihad ski lift type thing seemed like a more direct route, not having been to the O2 before I decided that it looked simpler to take the DLR and tube to North Greenwich as I wasn't sure I'd be able to work out the way if I got off the "ski lift". Now you may have assumed I could have just headed towards "the big tent thing" but as I hadn't been before I didn't know if other building would have obscured it's location.

Anyway I get to the O2 and manage to get into a showing that was just starting. It's the darkest cinema I've ever seen and there was no chance I would have been able to find my allocated seat so I just had to feel for a seat that was nearby the entry. Luckily I didn't end up groping some poor unsuspecting fellow cinema patron.

Well the Movie finished and I grabbed some food, then decided to head back to the Hotel. It was quite evident where the other side of the "Ski Lift" was so despite my fear of heights I decided "what the hell, lets give it a shot".

I queued up and was given a carriage to myself. I immediately went to the far side and held on tight to the handrail. The carriage proceeded forwards. Hmm I thought... Those doors haven't closed. I looked at the carriage in front to see their doors were closed so re-assured myself mine would any second. The carriage continued moving forwards and passed the point where the carriage in front had definitely had their door closed by. Mine remained open. I frantically looked around, surely there wasn't something like a close door button I'd missed? Surely they wouldn't rely on people pressing that themselves? No close door button but there was an emergency button. This wasn't an emergency though was it? In my panicked state the idea of dangling over the Thames with an open door was terrifying but I wasn't sure that constituted an emergency. After what seemed like an eternity, and a what seemed like a few moments after the last possible moment that they should the doors closed. I breathed a sigh of relief.

The carriage moved onto what I can only call "the main cable" and picked up speed. Holy crap. New problem. The carriage is swaying like crazy. I quickly concluded sitting right at the edge holding onto the (only) handrail was a bad idea and shifted across to the middle. No handrail so I was gripping the seat like crazy. The swaying seemed to lessen but looking forwards and backwards at the other carriages left me convinced that mine was still swaying significantly more than any of the others.

As the journey continued we got higher. As we approached the first tower thoughts of some mechanical failing knocking the carriage off the cable and sending it plummeting to the ground filled my head. the "bumpiness" of the first tower did little to calm my fears that that was a possibility so for each subsequent tower I continued to panic.

Right over the middle of the Thames and a flipping airplane flies over heading for London Airport. What seemed to be the swaying I was previously experiencing appears to intensify due to what I assumed was turbulence being chucked in the direction of the "Ski Lift" from the plane.

The carriage reaches the final tower and starts descending. Still high and can't get the thoughts of certain death out of my mind should the carriage fall off the cable or the cable snap. But every second it gets closer to the "Landing Area" is a second where my previously vice like grip on the seat loosens.

Finally the carriage arrives and I trundle out eager to feel my feet on solid ground and to breath a big sigh of relief.

Needless to say, that is not a method of transport I intend to repeat in the near future.

So the University has this Final Year Show to showcase the best games from each year (1st, 2nd, BSc Final/MComp 3rd, MComp Final). And while I was unfortunately unable to attend, my group was chosen to be nominated for the Best Game category in our BSc Final/MComp 3rd year section. My year were tasked to make a PlayStation 4 game of any kind.

We won.

This completely shocked us and I only found out just as the folks in my team were heading home. The reason ours won compared to the others were because we had a better polished game compared to the other teams. Two teams had PlayStation VR but it seems their games weren't "finished" by what I've been told so ours stood out among the most.

So the question is, would this benefit my overall grade for the module itself? Possibly, but we'll just have to wait and see now.

My offense? Daring to passively point out to someone that Twickenham is North of the River Thames. How utterly nefarious I was being.
Did you attempt to de-escalate the tension by mentioning that Eel Pie Island is part of Twickenham, and as an ait, it cannot be classified as lying on either side of the river?

@msgeek, I quite enjoyed the experience of using the cable car! It is certainly more pleasant than other means of flight. Perhaps our paths will cross this weekend!

Well done to you, @NormanicGrav! This can only bode well.

Corbyn won the Sky News debate tonight. Humane, sensible and handled a frankly terrible Paxman interview very well. His stances that seem to cause such controversy are about hearing both sides of the debate and talking, you know like the absolute bear minimum required to end a conflict or a disagreement. Treating even your enemies with respect as needed so long as it gets you closer to peace. Yet somehow these are controversial stances?

May is like a robot and all her polices are negative but oh don't worry she might leave the EU without a deal so apparently that's great? Seriously are people too stupid to realize that what she is already proposing we as a country do (i.e hard brexit) is a bad deal already!? She can act all mighty and tough but she has already given herself the easy way out, at least Corbyn will actually try to negotiate a good deal where by we retain tariff free trade and don't have to retain the free movement of people. Which surprise surprise immigration is still the only thing anyone seems to care about, so long as less foreigners come in it doesn't seem to matter what happens to the economy.

For me this election is such an easy decision but unfortunately it's going to be one hell of an upset for Corbyn to win. But May I think at this point is going to lose seats and that is an utter disaster and a damn near vote of no confidence because this is an election she called for the sole purpose to strengthen her hand and she I'm confident enough to say is not going to do that.

On another note Jeremy Paxman was truly awful. I like him but he was piss poor from the questions he asked and not even allowing the candidates to speak. It was quite close to 'did you threaten to overrule him' on a number of occasions.

Last edited:
Back