Your viewing journal

Welcome to the NHK episodes 4-24 (Complete. Damn, Watamote is like a junior version of this. The series deals with some very dark themes, all with jet black humour and characters I'm not sure whether to like or loathe. Despite how grim NHK gets, there's a definite tongue-in-cheek vibe that's sharp and uncomfortable, even as it deals with common societal issues such as suicide and loss of faith. I think the series is really good, but I'm not sure if it was enjoyable. The ending was nice at least, though the manga ending goes a little further and was also satisfying) 4/5

Wish upon the Pleiades
episodes 1-12 (Complete. This was pretty... and pretty unremarkable, but I needed some harmless cutesy stuff after dealing with NHK. I can't say I disliked this series, but I don't really have anything of note to praise either, asides from the animation and one or two cool ideas. It does it job being cute and magical, so I can't fault it for that. Perhaps a rewatch one day will change this.) 2.5/5

Last edited:
Dance in the Vampire Bund 1-12 (complete)
Kind of ehh, to be honest. Not really much of a plot, and the characters are okay at best, to forgettable at worst. Plus it suffers from being an incomplete adaptation with a non, "go read the manga" ending. Looks nice though, Shaft/Shinbo's signature style, while not totally overt like in something like Monogatari, at least makes an interesting watch, visually. All in all, I'm fine with it for the price I paid.

The Eccentric Family 4-13 (complete)
Finally got around to finishing this. I wasn't super into it to begin with, but I eventually really warmed up to it, and ended up loving this show. A really nice tale about family with some cool Japanese cultural framings. Episode 8 also has the honour of being one of the few anime episodes to make me cry.

Hanayamata 1-12 (complete)
A nice, cute little show. Perhaps a little too saccharine for me in spots, and a touch too much melodrama in others, but overall a fun watch.

Watamote episodes 1-12 (Complete. This show hurt a little to watch, as someone who's dealt with isolation and how it plays on the psyche I couldn't help but relate to some of her situations, though I like that Tomoko is rather endearing in a pitiful way. Despite being a feels train in some places, I did find the series enjoyable, and it finds a good Balance with its themes and humour) 4/5

Welcome to the NHK episodes 1-3
Wow, you're a brave man for watching those two back-to-back, @HWR! I wonder if anyone's ever attempted those two followed by The Tatami Galaxy...

I finally finished Otogi Zoshi's 26 episodes. It feels like I'd been watching this forever.

Maybe I'll enjoy Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun better.

Attack on Titan s2 ep 7.

Eromanga Sensei ep 5.

Saekano: How To Raise A Boring Girlfriend Flat s2 ep 5.

WorldEnd: What Do You Do At the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us? ep 3-4. I'm finding the lore of this series intriguing, and can't wait to discover more.

Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation s3 ep 8. The characters in this have always been a bit crazy, but these new guys are completely nuts (in a good way).

Higurashi: When They Cry Rei-Episodes 1-5

Really liked that first episode, it just laid out the rather complicated plot of Season 1 in a simple way that made it far easier to digest. The next four episodes have just raised even more questions though!

Digimon Tri The Movie Part 1: Reunion

Expect a full review of this later in the week, but for now I will say that I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Caught up with the following:

My Hero Academia Season 2 - Great fun
Danmachi Spin Off - o_O I know Aiz is a very quiet character but good god, the content is there to develop her character..use it.
Anonymous Noise - I wasn't feeling this show at first, felt rushed but I'm getting into it now. The show makes me laugh for the wrong reasons (the typical shoujo stuff) though. ..
Sakura Quest - Continues to be fab
Bahamut: Virgin Soul - Still the best of the season. Absolutely love how there's no clear way of determining who's "good" & "evil". Nina is beyond fun to watch, I adore her & that's coming from a Favaro fan girl who was incredibly upset that he was no longer the MC.
Attack On Titan Season 2 - Brilliant. Part of me wishes I hadn't read the manga as I cannot fully get behind the survey corps in their current situation.
Eccentric Family Season 2 - Everything's snowballing like the first season! I love it. Still the second best of the season. The part where
Yasaburo ended up being thrown into the painting of hell & his experience there was beautifully animated & accomplished

Non-Airing:
Scums Wish Episodes 1-5 - Wow. I sorta knew what to expect given comments made but wow, this is good stuff.
Full Metal Panic Episodes 1-2 - Enjoyable.
Humanity Has Declined Episodes 1-2 - Did not expect the show to be that bizarre. Bloody fantastic, episode 2 had me & my bf crying with laughter.
Serial Experiments Lain Episodes 1-2 - Has my attention big time, very interesting concept. I finally get the bear thing I've seen online too, heh.
Mobile Suit Gundam. Up to episode 38. Lalah is even better animated.

Last edited:
Xam'd lost memories episodes 21-26 (Complete. I skimmed through episodes 15-19, since a subplot really lags in places during the middle, but before and after this the show is a quite good, even if the plot is all over the place and doesn't make sense at times, the also ending left me a little "eh". However, It's an anime that's rarely boring (asides from the aforementioned subplot) and I'm happy to have gotten this during the Rightstuf Sentai sale.) 4/5

Thunderbirds

I know this isn't anime but I'm taking a small break before I go through my newly collected titles alphabetically. (I'm also finally getting around to watching this via the Blu Ray set I imported ages Ago) Decided to watch my favourite episodes from my childhood

Last edited:
The King's Avatar - Episodes 01-06

This isn't really anime, it's made in China by an entirely Chinese production staff, but the true hidden gem of this season is The King's Avatar. (Sorry Kado, I still love you.)

The King's Avatar follows Ye Xiu, the hyped but mysterious and reclusive star player of the game Glory for the now fading Excellent Era eSports team. Quitting the team, after being replaced and demoted to a training partner, he is forced to turn over his prized account. Worse still, unable to buy the rest of his contract out, he has no option but to publicly announce his retirement from the sport; a move which locks him out of professional teams for a year and, at his age, probably ends his career. Having spent all his money helping out friends who squandered theirs and being made homeless by his decision, he takes a job as a night manager at a nearby internet cafe. (The job is under his real name, so nobody at the internet cafe is aware of his eSporting identity.) On his first night, his new boss mentions the debut of a new and upgraded Glory, encouraging him to join. This sets in motion his attempt to rebuild his entire career from the ground up.

Although mostly a fun action series, The King's Avatar is willing to push it's characterisation forward in interesting ways. Ye Xiu is arrogant, abrasive, emotionally stunted and kind of a dick, but unlike other perhaps similar shows, the show has no interest in pretending that's not the case. He's regularly smug and insensitive, especially when news of his Glory retirement is made public and several patrons at the internet cafe enter a sort of mourning. Due to the skills, techniques and weaponry developed during his past life, he's also immensely successful and often rather smug about it. However, the show manages to pitch this well tonally, ensuring that he does not come across as nasty or inflammatory.

He is also not presented as infallible or omnipotent, as many series have fallen in the trap of doing, often destroying any tension or drama in the process. The series is very clear to establish that he can be beaten and will show him relying on rivals and other players, both supporting and opposing him for in-game assistance. Unfortunately, having read some of the webnovel from which the series is adapted, his motivations and feelings are unfortunately not always as clear in the anime. Though the not very talkative nature of the character does not necessarily lend itself to this. It also has perhaps toned down some weakness from the webnovel, as he described there as looking physically ill. He is also backed up by a wide range of well written and acted supporting characters from various different teams and the internet cafe where he now works.

Visually, whilst not being likely to win any awards, The King's Avatar is very solid, often using interesting framing and techniques such as 3DCG and seemingly live action inserts to supplant it's more traditional animation. Whilst this experimentation is welcome, it is not always successful. Some perspective 3DCG shots meant to illustrate walking have looking incredibly shonky and had they run longer, they could have potentially induced motion sickness. However, others have been great including a notable shot of a character sliding underneath a vaillain. It also often relies on video gaming terminology, which might not always be the most self-explanatory for those unfamiliar with the world. Though translation notes are used to explain the most egregious and narratively important examples.

I'm really enjoying this so far, and the lack of coverage and support is disappointing but understandable. Unfortunately, despite probably being the best Chinese animated production thus far, no major anime streaming service has acquired this series. It is however legally available to stream with English subtitles from Tencent Video's YouTube channel. It would be an enormous shame for such a show to go so unnoticed, and I hope it will eventually be picked up on by more mainstream sites.

Last edited:
Seven Mortal Sins episode 4.
My Hero Academia season 2 episode 7 (20).
Re:Creators episode 6.
Attack On Titan season 2 episode 7 (32).

Back