The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

from Wordery
D.Gray-man vol 25

...looking back vol 24 was released in August 2014...and now i'll have another looooong wait for vol 26 as it keeps going on hiatus due to Hoshino's health :(

From Amazon.com

81G3987cbML._SL1500_.jpg

I bought Season 1 of Dragon Ball Z Kai on BD from eBay for like £12.50 or something. I grabbed it cheap to see if I actually like it so I'll pick up the others new if I do.

Recent orders I've placed:

W0H5xr9l.jpg

Black Butler: Complete Season 1 (Anime Classics) [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
The license to the first season is going to expire at the end of the month due to Aniplex, and I've been meaning to try this series out for a while now. Season 2 expires in June 2018 so there's still time for that filler season. The Blu-ray is also Region B compatible if that helps.

whb22LAh.jpg

Wf5kk0vh.jpg

Kizumonogatari Part 1: Tekketsu [Blu-ray]
Kizumonogatari Part 2: Nekketsu [Blu-ray]

Since the UP1 order for Hana & Koi seem to have gone through my bank alright I intentionally delayed my order on the Kizu films in case something went wrong. Now I have finally made the order, and while TRSI is sort of cheaper I wanted to save myself the hassle and just use UP1 to get the items rather than pay customs (I am aware that people are dodging it but all of my orders this year have been hit).

BLAME!, Volumes 1 - 3

Managed to catch the Surprise coupon over on BookWalker this morning which I've put towards BLAME! which is already on sale at the moment.

Recent orders I've placed:

81TqLFerxQL._SL1500_.jpg

87f27TUxOTt3a.gif

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Complete Series (Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]
Originally planned to own the standard edition sets, the collector's edition dropped to a whooping £27 (that includes shipping and VAT) on Amazon US thanks to a crazy deal and what's better is that mine is preparing shipment. The Collector's Edition version also includes the fixed Season 2 discs unlike the standard edition.

91t%2Bt1jxDhL._SL1500_.jpg

44f.gif

Death Note: Complete Series & Relight Films (Limited Edition aka Omega Edition) [Blu-ray]
Much like Code Geass, this release was also reduced to a good price. However it's temporarily out of stock so it'll be a while before it can ship. I liked this edition more than the UK version and considering I already have Viz's Gargantia, K, One Punch Man and Sailor Moon it's no surprise that I would get Death Note's as well to be honest.

61lifKzJZGL._SL1063_.jpg

Persona 3 the Movie -#3 Falling Down- (Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
I already have the first two films from the early bird deal and I now have this one too.

Ordered from the Amazon US Price Glitch sale

World Break
913Vgvj9iWL._SY679_.jpg

Code Geass Season 1 & Season 2 Collector's Edition

81TqLFerxQL._SL1500_.jpg

Code Geass has shipped, and should have it in 2 weeks based on Amazon's estimate. Can't wait

87f27TUxOTt3a.gif

Amazon done goofed somewhere but I got my hands on the following:
IMG_0084.JPG
Brothers Conflict LE
IMG_0770.JPG
Code Geass seasons 1+2
IMG_0772.JPG
Dragonball Z Kai seasons 1 2 and 4
IMG_0771.JPG
Freezing Anime classics
IMG_0083.JPG
Gunslinger Girl Anime Classics
IMG_0085.JPG
Wanna be the strongest in the world LE
IMG_0086.JPG
Wolf's Rain

I saw that Escaflowne film was $17.99 on Amazon US and I had a 5 dollar off voucher so I went for it as I believe the £16 price is lower than what I will get from Al and I can buy rn and dont have to wait till June at least.

I bought an unknown CD with no photo for Code Geass on eBay from MusicMagpie.

I hope I have a winner, and its a soundtrack CD, but for £1.66 it will be an interesting thing to see what arrives

615RCQDFQYL._SY445_.jpg
61E881J130L._SY445_.jpg
51CYZHQC8VL._SY445_.jpg

So I got these just now off of eBay and I'm super happy. I've always been intrigued by this show and last month I decided to watch it online and fell in love with it. This is the definition of a hidden gem and is one of the best surprises I've ever had watching Anime. Instantly loved this show.

I bought the first volume a couple of weeks ago but knew that I'd probably have to wait on a full set from eBay to actually get the whole show. Well that happened sooner than expected and I'm super hyped.

Now cue Discotek rescuing this series sometime this year because that seems to always happen recently for me.

Here is a Review I did for the series if your curious to know more...
"The Only Way To Save This Family Is For Them To Save The World"

The Daichis is one of those series that is so obscure and easy to overlook despite the fact it even got licensed and fully dubbed into English you would be forgiven for not having heard of it. It was this obscurity and ultimately curiosity that led me to watching the show.

So airing in 2001 and animated by Group TAC The Daichis is a series about a family teetering on the edge of oblivion. We have the obese computer obsessed Father Mamoru, the equally work obsessed Mother Seiko, the teenage Daughter on the verge of a total mental breakdown Nozomi and finally the feisty young kid Dai who is trying to just make the best of it all.

The show starts at the breakfast table with Seiko demanding Mamoru for a divorce and asking the kids with whom they want to stay with, Mamoru ignores the request with his face in his laptop. The impression is certainly given that this is just everyday life in the Daichis household. But with the family nearing boiling point a strange fax comes in informing them of Earth's imminent destruction by an Alien force and that they have been chosen as the ones to defeat it. Perhaps understandably they somewhat ignore it, though RPG playing Mamoru keeps an eye on it.

As the day progresses it becomes apparent that the fax was telling the truth and with planet earth on the brink of destruction this dysfunctional family must unite to take down the Alien invasion and if saving all of Human kind isn't enough of a motivation then being paid for the honor of doing so definitely is (with some caveats), at least in the case of Seiko anyway. This is where the heart of the show lies as it's this coming together that helps the Family ties mend and heal and frankly it's endearing, clever, heartwarming but perhaps most of all funny. If it's not young Dai bombing into battle headfirst and certainly headstrong then it's Seiko having a nervous breakdown of the cost of every disaster averting action taken which mounts the family into even more debt.

Along the way we get some great parodies of pop culture which both serves as good comedy, nice action set pieces but also most importantly character building and exploration. We see why this family is the way they are and how they came to be it. Most interestingly we discover that perhaps despite how much they all care for each other the family may also be too far gone to save. I think it's this exploration of family dynamics that really push this show to some high levels and make it a truly special series and one of the best hidden gems around. The character journeys of each member of the family are really well handled and we are exposed to each of them equally and with some amount of depth which by series end helps make all of them very lovable and enjoyable to watch.

Animated in 2001 surprisingly this series is cel animated making it most likely one of the last shows of it's kind (except for the original version of episode 11, which is mostly digital for some reason). Given this is at the very end of traditional cel animation and with some talented men and women behind the scenes what we are given is a show that looks in no uncertain terms truly fantastic. The transformation scenes of each character are sublime, the action fluid and beautiful and the general animation all round detailed and full of depth. It's really a superb looking show and fans of older animation techniques will find alot to appreciate in it, probably much more than when it came out since now we are so far divorced from this traditional style. I just found it a marvel from beginning to end.

The Soundtrack is serviceable but not overly memorable. With the official soundtrack not easy to track down either it's something I will forget perhaps sooner than I would have. The opening is a fun electronic rock theme that serves at getting the viewer pumped enough for the upcoming episode. The ending is tranquil and fittingly somber as it plays over an old family photo allowing the viewer to contemplate how on earth this family will keep it together and the limits to which it's being stretched.

Overall this series is truly as I mentioned earlier a hidden gem. It's so much more than the sum of it's parts would have you believe. The atmosphere of the show will suck you in and whether this Family can keep it together just long enough to save the world and hopefully themselves as a unit ready to fight for another day is both engaging and thought provoking. I really have fallen in love with this show and I think it's a shame that it has become so overlooked. To summarize this series in one word - 'Recommended'.

Last edited:
I booked my ticket for Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry, showing at the Odeon next week.

Just like with Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale, I've never actually seen any of the series itself. If nothing else, it'll let me form my own opinion on Happy the cat!

Orderd Evangelion 1.11 and Tokyo Ravens pt 1 CE (hopfully part 2 will dispatch at some point). Waiting to see whats announced at Comic con as I'd like to order Gosick but would be happy to wait for a UK set.

Got My Hero Academia USA Standard Edition off ebay for £23.50.

Orderd Evangelion 1.11 and Tokyo Ravens pt 1 CE (hopfully part 2 will dispatch at some point). Waiting to see whats announced at Comic con as I'd like to order Gosick but would be happy to wait for a UK set.

Where'd you get Tokyo Ravens Part 1 from? I also ordered Part 2 in the Amazon price glitch.

Back