UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

No PS3 or PS4 just an Xbox one. I've a Sony 790 region B player and a Toshiba multi-region player (which I bought off the forum here). £49 is a lot to gamble if I can't play it. Hmm, what to do

I think Xbox One was also confirmed to work with geolocked titles, I remember reading about it in the old version of the Region Free thread.

Yes please, very kind of you.
My friend has an Xbox One I can quickly try Sidonia S2 in it if you want
Just in case, I can confirm Engaged to the Unidentified doesn't work on the Xbox One.
Having just tested a bunch of Sentai Geolocked titles on my Xbone, it seems to be early Geolocked titles which cause problems.
Just for transparency sake I tested the following Geolocked discs.

PASS
- Ao Haru Ride
- Beyond the Boundary
- Children Who Chase Lost Voice (2016 Re-author)
- Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun
- Golden Time Part 1
- Grisaia Season 1
- Haikyuu Part 1
- Haikyuu Part 2
- Knights of Sidonia Season 1
- Knights of Sidonia Season 2
- No Game No Life
- One Week Friends
- Persona 4 The Animation
- Shirobako Part 1
- Shirobako Part 2
- SNAFU
- SNAFU 2
- Tamako Market
- Tonari no Seki-kun
- Waiting in the Summer
- Watamote
- The World God Only Knows OVA Collection

FAIL
- Amagami SS+
- Chuunibyou Season 1
- Engaged to the Unidentified (Confirmed by Peachy)
- Little Busters Refrain
- Maid Sama
- Non Non Biyori Season 1
- The World God Only Knows Season 3

Given that the above failures were released between Jan 15 and March 15, I'd imagine titles from that period of time may cause issues. Further testing is needed though I suppose. Interestingly though, Watamote and Golden Time were released prior yet do not present an issue.

Last edited:
Went to see if there's an EB offer for Your Lie In April Part 2 and saw this one - Selector Infected WIXOSS for £34.99 (First 100 copies) on AL's webstore.

No PS3 or PS4 just an Xbox one. I've a Sony 790 region B player and a Toshiba multi-region player (which I bought off the forum here). £49 is a lot to gamble if I can't play it. Hmm, what to do
I don't think anyone mentioned it, but some standard Blu-ray players can also play geo-locked releases. I watch most of mine on a Region B Sony Blu-ray player, it says BDP S790 on the front so it might even be the same or similar to the player you have. I've watched a good number of Sentai releases on it, both geolocked and ones that need the older bypass method mentioned above. I'll have watched Amagami SS+, Engaged To The Unidentified and Non Non Biyori on that player so it seemingly doesn't have the apparent limitation of the XBox One.

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but some standard Blu-ray players can also play geo-locked releases. I watch most of mine on a Region B Sony Blu-ray player, it says BDP S790 on the front so it might even be the same or similar to the player you have. I've watched a good number of Sentai releases on it, both geolocked and ones that need the older bypass method mentioned above. I'll have watched Amagami SS+, Engaged To The Unidentified and Non Non Biyori on that player so it seemingly doesn't have the apparent limitation of the XBox One.

I have yet to come across a blu-ray player that won't play geolocked titles myself.

My LG player plays most of the Blu-rays that are supposed to be geo locked except Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions and I have no idea why it won't play it.

Back