Your controversial anime opinions.

She shows him Lilith, and having just checked my BD she is referred to as such, so can't be that.

Not sure how much point there is in spoilering that, but I will anyway....

It is that, but I'm sure he's called Adam. Maybe I'm going insane. (I would check my copy, but I don't have it on me rn.)

Regardless of what he/she/it is called, it doesn't undo my point that without knowing what or who he/she/it is, that scene makes no bloody sense.

Watched it today. it is
Lilith. At least in the dub. Misato even explains that they must protect Lilith and how Lilith is the second Angel and the source of all human life so not sure on the confusion....

Watched it today. it is
Lilith. At least in the dub. Misato even explains that they must protect Lilith and how Lilith is the second Angel and the source of all human life so not sure on the confusion....

I don't think the sub is quite as clear on her actual occupation. Maybe I missed it, but I don't think it was that explicit.

Even so, the film fails to function as a film. Solving that one issue won't make me like it...

I love how Eva can cause all of these debates for decades. It was just as bad in the TV series days.

Katanagatari ending is awful. I mean like really bad. People seem to overlook this despite it making zero sense probably due to it being a very good looking anime and who the author is. Other issues are the ninja's are pathetic and are taken from a Saturday morning cartoon and are nothing more than canon fodder. The old lady narrator make me want to rip my ears off.

First post in this thread that has made me actually shocked D:

R

I guess my controversial opinion is that no type of content is inherently more or less valuable than any other. That does mean I'm technically suggesting that an Imouto Fetish show has the same potential to be worthwhile as a show that explores important current social issues or the next popular hit show or anything else. That might not be an easy position to defend but I think there's some truth to it. We don't all watch shows for the same reasons and two people watching the same show can have very different experiences, so it doesn't seem right to disregard some types of content simply because they're less popular or not as culturally acceptable to some people.

I guess I'm just against the idea of "acceptable targets" and the idea that appealing to a majority is somehow more important than excelling in your field. Something along those lines anyway (I could probably ramble for ages but I'm not sure I'd be able to make any more sense).

A few more from yours truly:

1. Haruhi Suzumiya almost getting punched in the face by Kyon during the "Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya" arc is genuinely one of the few times I've ever raised my fist and said ****-yeah with an anime. I like Haruhi as a character but in this particular arc her manipulative side became way too asinine and like Kyon I was so done with her ****.

2. The One Punch Man dub is pretty darn good, they really cast Saitama well.

3. Speaking of dubs, I can totally deal with Naruto's voice in the Dub, in fact Naruto and Shippuden have some great talents, especially Dave Whittenberg as Kakashi.

4. Brook is the best straw hat member (Yohohoho)

5. I think I just have a tolerance for supposed grating voice performances in dubs, at times I can totally agree with others, but after a while I just get used to them, heck I find some Japanese subs are hard on the ears.

Last edited:
Haruhi is probably one of the most obnoxious anime character of all time. She's like a spoilt child who expects everyone to bend to her will. She has no redeeming qualities IMO and if I was Kyon I would run a mile. The film is much better than the series as it contains less Haruhi.

Last edited:
I have a few which make the more recent fandom shake in anger and a few that people question, so hey. Today is the day i make enemies i guess?

1. Clannad - Being entirely honest. i think it's utter trash. The first series, with the comedy in tow, was fine. it had some laughable moments, but the characters themselves where pretty awful. Tomoya was an awful person in general and an even worse protagonist, Nagisa is basically there for plot and has no character whatsoever. There are so many stupid concepts placed into after story that i do wonder how it still works. The fact that Nagisa was so lacking in any development is quite telling by the fact that the Kyou and Tomoyo OVAs after where far more engaging as stories than the main one is. It's another show which attempts to tell heartbreaking stories to tug at the heartstrings of very specific individuals who enjoy this kind of material with the main heroine(s) as typical or non-existent as possible. At the time i watched it, i'd have said i could have enjoyed it as i was not as dismissive of Kanon when i first watched it. Granted, it was the first encounter with a Key story and something of this sort, but even going back to that now i can pull it apart for what it is. Clannad at least had comedy in the first season which worked with other supporting characters, After Story just had nothing.

2. Death Note - Ok so i have never watched the anime, but i did attempt the manga for a time, and this maybe a little extreme, but i was rather bored, extremely perhaps. And i couldn't get into the series at all. Maybe i will eventually give the anime a try, see if it's worthwhile, but at the present time, i feel like i've not missed anything at all with it.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion - I grew uninterested after 5 episodes, never went back to the TV series. I've since seen 2.22 and 3.33 and still find myself wondering what the fuss is about. Granted this is the films we're talking now not the TV series but again, i can't find anything to like from either or. I may watch 4.44 when it hits purely for seeing if he can come up with a sensible ending, but no bets there.

4. Full Metal Alchemist(the first TV series) - Yeah i didn't like the direction they took with this. I prefer Brotherhood/the Mangas storyline in so many ways. Brotherhood to me is the superior adaptation. the first series was nothing i could enjoy and just didn't really capture what had engrossed me into the manga originally either. Soemthing was off about the first adaptation that i just couldn't put my finger on, still can't. So i've never returned to it. Brotherhood though i have re-watched a couple times and re-read the original manga several times too and i never get bored of it.

5. Attack on Titan - After the first episode, which in my opinion is still one of the strongest openings for a series in the last decade, it kind of...well, fell apart. It lost it's momentum, it slowed down to a crawls pace and the trost arc took too long to cover. Not only that but you could tell the story was getting a little stupid as things went on. Sure it's a bit of fun, but the storytelling felt a mess as things progressed. I still continued to read on and surprise surprised, the story gets even more mind-melting as you go on, so be prepared for that people. but yeah. First episode - absolute stunner - rest, ehhh not so much.

Also for the sake of it being fairly new and relevant, while i loved both Your Name and A Silent Voice when i saw them at SLA, A Silent Voice is clearly the better film, without a doubt.

Sword Art Online II is on par with season 1.

Also, SAO isn't nearly as bad as the internet makes it out to be. Really enjoyed myself. :)

I quite like SAO too. It's by no means an amazing series in my opinion, but with the amount of flak some people give it online you'd think it killed their mothers or something. I'd say SAO 2 probably maintained a more consistent level of quality throughout than the first series did.

1. Clannad - Being entirely honest. i think it's utter trash. The first series, with the comedy in tow, was fine. it had some laughable moments, but the characters themselves where pretty awful.
You're not alone. "Clannad After Story" drove me up the wall. I sort of liked "Clannad" much to my surprise, as I have had difficulty with "Air" and "Kannon". The original series was quite good and had none (or should I say few) of the elements that really narked me off in the first two Key/Kyoto Animation shows. "After Story" kinda crapped me to tears in the end.

First, the cardinal rule of any high school drama set anywhere is that it fails when the kids grow up to be adults (see any Aaron Spelling show from the 1980's or 1990's). Second it heaps on melodrama so lame even the cheesiest live action Japanese drama wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Worst of all is the blatant emotional manipulation. Drove me up the wall. And in the end it was like they said "fooled ya!". Would it kill the frigging writers to actually do some medical research and come with a bloody plausible disease instead of the same old "mysterious disease that no one knows about or can cure".

Add in extra problems like the lack of logic that a lot of characters displayed. It was like they deliberately picked the worst possible outcome on purpose so their lives could be more miserable. Also in the first half some of the material (in particular the gang war), I thought they were turning it into a satire on high school dramas as it was so cliched. But to my horror I realised they were serious.

Back