UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I'm just looking at my original DVD releases of SAC on my shelf, every volume of which came with a slipcover and a poster and the last volume came with a big metal box to store them all in. In fact, you got the show twice because there are two discs in each box, one with DTS sound and one with Dolby Digital.

The Blu-ray has a lot to live up to.
Indeed. Went with the US CEs back in the day, ended up with all 4 soundtracks(osts1, 2&3 and Being Human), 3 tshirts, Batous ID card(now signed by Richard Epcar), the 2 steel collectors tins and all of 2nd GiG in individual steelcases.

Last edited:
I do. They look dated and unappealing in comparison to modern/more mainstream character designs... *runs*
Eh, fair enough. I won't chase you down and force feed you a Tachikoma. At least not today. It's not really a matter of picking at anyone else's personal tastes, just something I am genuinely surprised to hear. If I had to pick a series I thought had aged well from the early '00s SAC would be top of the list.

You can look down on them for their choice of anime too. I do... A fortnight ago we were treated to Team America: World Police and this week we were treated to various dumb YouTube re-edits of shonen stuff.

I think some people enjoy just being around anime fans but actually doing any anime-related things together. Like those who only post in the gaming topics here ;)

I'm very goal orientated so I can't deal with that at all; if I had ever been in an anime club I'd have wanted my time there to be solidly focused on anime!

I think the animation and presentation of SAC is still very good quality today, it's just that modern viewers who have been specifically brought in by cute stuff, harems and other modern trappings might not all be too impressed when judging on box art alone.

Before anime became more mainstream (comparatively), liking sci-fi/cyberpunk/sexy badass women was the popular fan position. What's cool has sort of shifted since then, and I feel that they're going to have to capture the imagination of people outside the new 'core' viewership to make a big success of this, especially if the fandom darling Death Note didn't work out. I'm very interested to know how the film will be received.

R

Back to good news as Jerome went back and actually read the SAC complaints this time before giving a more decisive answer:

Jerome said:
There's zero chance we will be using the US version for a U.K. Release

R

I don't think I've seen this anywhere else, so: "In This Corner of the World" will open in the UK this June, following a première in Mexico, other South American countries, Thailand and Hong Kong in March. Additionally, it will release in Germany in July, then U.S. and France in September.

EDIT: Before writing an article on it, I decided to poke Manga Animatsu about it myself. Luckily I did, as the reply was basically, that the information was unsubstantiated.

Last edited:
It looks as though Chunibyo Heart Throb has been stealthily (at least I didn't know about it) upgraded to a Deluxe Edition with "Rigid Outer Box with 2 x Blu-ray discs, 4 x Art Cards and Poster". As I type this the change is reflected only on Amazon, not any other retailer I checked. No price increase.

So by next week may know just how these Deluxe Editions shape up.

It looks as though Chunibyo Heart Throb has been stealthily (at least I didn't know about it) upgraded to a Deluxe Edition with "Rigid Outer Box with 2 x Blu-ray discs, 4 x Art Cards and Poster". As I type this the change is reflected only on Amazon, not any other retailer I checked. No price increase.

Could you post some pics when you recieve it, Id be intrested to see what it looks like.

It seems they've kept the old SRP though
Could you post some pics when you recieve it, Id be intrested to see what it looks like.
Manga have posted a couple photos on their twitter and snapchat feeds of it recently.

Yep. Not so stealthy after all. I do check their Twitter occasionally but missed this.

Can't tell for sure from that picture if the box is RIGID rigid or Death Note "rigid", but I'm almost certain they wouldn't make that mistake again :'D

Didn't notice they switched it to Manga instead of Animatsu for S2, that's a bit annoying for the spines as they won't match up. Seriously just merge Animatsu into Manga already :p

They shouldn't screw up again like they did with Death Note on the box considering they've set up these 'Deluxe' editions now but this is Manga we're talking about ;)

Hmm, I noticed the US edition was unavailable on Amazon yesterday when I was making my big order. I wonder what's going on with the series? As much as I'd like to blame Jerome and co, I have a feeling the issues are with their international partners. And not sure who was doing the BD for us as I doubt it's going to sell enough UK copies to justify a local master.

Edit: While I don't think the underlying issues are Manga's fault, is it just me or is it a bit weird only to notice there are no BD masters a couple of weeks before the scheduled release date? How quickly can they turn things around usually?!

R

Back