Your viewing journal

A Certain Scientific Railgun S - Complete - a much better season than the first. The sisters arc was a real high not only for the series but franchise as a whole. Overall I enjoyed both Index and Railgun though both suffered from some dire filler episodes. I would love to see more of this series and characters in the future. 8/10 for this series 7/10 for Raildex as a whole.

Last edited:
Angel's Egg (Blu-ray)

Admittedly not much happens in it and it doesn't make a lot of sense but I though it was a captivating film with typical Oshii surrealism and it was just beautiful to look at, I've said many times before here and I'll say it said again I love 80's animation in HD.

Detonator Orgun - Episodes 1 - 3 [Final]

Still my favouuite anime. I really want this in HD!

KissDum Engage Planet - Episode 10

KissDum is really, really generic sci-fi action.

Punch Line-Episodes 10-12 (Complete)

If you'd have told me a show with this premise would have an emotional ending, I'd have called you a fool!

Anyway, in the last few episodes, I think I was finally able to place why I loved this series so much and what it reminded me of. This is pretty much a Trigger show. It has excellent, fluid and vibrant animation, a solid and likable cast of characters, a generally goofy/fun tone punctuated with moments of drama and some brilliant action. Obviously, this doesn't apply to all Trigger shows, I'm thinking more Gurren Lagann/Kill la Kill/Inou Battle than Little Witch or Kizniaver, but still, if you told me Trigger made this, I totally would believe you. So yeah, if you like the shows I listed there and you haven't seen this, and you don't mind a bit of ecchi, then definitely give this one a watch if you haven't already.

Jormungand ep1-4

The local club have been showing Jormungand all the way through for the past couple of months, but having missed a few episodes, seen a few in the wrong order and hit an 'oh snap' moment near the finale, I've decided to go back and rewatch it.

When I first saw a little bit of the show a few years back, I had it pegged as a 'me too' series following Black Lagoon, but having spent more time with it, I think I might actually prefer Jormungand. Black Lagoon has better action, but it's the story in Jormungand I find more satisfying - it is Michael Mann to Black Lagoon's John Woo.

Is This a Zombie?-Episodes 1-4

Well, this seems like a pretty decent show so far. I don't really find it funny, per say, which is a bit of an issue for a comedy series, but it's still fun to watch, and the characters are entertaining, and the odd bits of action are surprisingly good. Given the tone is pretty light in nature, I'm not too sure if the darker elements really gel to well with the rest of it, but other than that, I'm enjoying it.

As an aside, I noticed that this is a Funimation series, released by MVM in 2013. How did that happen? Weren't Funimation dealing exclusively with Manga at that point?

Scorching Ping Pong Girls-Episode 10

Hmm, now the show has had the match it's been building to all series, I wonder what the remaining episodes will do. I mean, they haven't got enough time for that tournament they've been promising, so I wonder if they'll just set up for a second season?

Last edited:
As an aside, I noticed that this is a Funimation series, released by MVM in 2013. How did that happen? Weren't Funimation dealing exclusively with Manga at that point?

Is there a Funi logo on the cover? If not then MVM most likely licensed it direct from Japan. MVM have released quite a few shows that Funi have as well, off the top of my head i can think of Trigun, Samurai 7, Samurai Champloo. Another possibility is Manga only had first pick to Funi titles and if they passed on a title MVM could pick it up for release.

Is there a Funi logo on the cover? If not then MVM most likely licensed it direct from Japan. MVM have released quite a few shows that Funi have as well, off the top of my head i can think of Trigun, Samurai 7, Samurai Champloo. Another possibility is Manga only had first pick to Funi titles and if they passed on a title MVM could pick it up for release.

No, it's just in the credits and they're credited for the dub on the back of the box. I never thought that they'd have gotten it straight from Japan.

Last edited:
Your Name (Fourth time) - This movie is one of the greatest anime I have ever had the fortune of seeing, I just wish I was able to attend more of my local screenings. The wait for the blu-ray release is going to be nothing short of torture. Even on a fourth watch, the movie is just as impactful as the second time.

Barakamon ep1-2

096_rh.png

Back