What Music are you listening to? Discussions Welcome!

Been listening to Skrapz - One More Chance a lot lately. Usually with such a classic instrumental (and especially one first used by Notorious B.I.G.), you kind of worry that any future freestyles/tunes using it will turn out not as good but I think this really suits Skrapz.

Also, nice to see it nearly at 1M views now.

So after listening to the new album by Neal Morse Band and not being super into it (on first listen anyway, might just need a few more to get me into it) but still liking bits and pieces of it, I'm trying to listen to other Neal Morse stuff to see if I can find some of his stuff that I'm more into. My first port of call was his other super group that features ex-Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy, Flying Colours. Whilst I am also finding this kind of hitting miss, I really loved 'Shoulda Coulda Woulda' from their self titled album. It's just really stuck in my head, especially the chorus, and Portnoy's drumming at the end is god tier. I still haven't listened to their second album, which I hear is better than the first, so maybe I'll like that more.

By the way, if anyone has any recommendations for Prog Rock/Prog Metal bands, throw them at me! Even if they might be super obvious (Well, not Rush or Dream Theater, I'm well aware of them :p) as I probably don't know about them.

Do you listen to Anathema? They're more contemporary prog in style as opposed to the 'classic' prog sound, but their album Weather Systems in particular is fantastic.

Not listened to Anathema since college, a lot of those bands of that ilk were in heavy rotation back then as some people on my college course were really into that music, I think one of the guys had seen Anathema live at least 10 times, I think they had only seen 65daysofstatic (can't remember how many times) and Maybeshewill (I think something like at least 27 times...not Joking!) more. Really have to go back and listen to some of those bands again as some of the instrumentation really caught my imagination at the time.

As for recommendation, have you listened to Porcupine Tree (or any of Steven Wilson's Solo Work/Other Projects), I think they're definitley worth a listen, PT were a progressive group with a wide range of influence including: classic rock to psychedelic to metal.

If we're talking classic stuff, I'm a big fan of Paradise Lost. Not really prog, but from the same sort of era as Anathema.

As much as I'm a huge metal fan, I must admit, I am largely unfamiliar with some of the lesser known stuff in Metallica's back catalogue. Anyway, I heard this on the radio the other day and I absolutely love it, it has an absolutely killer riff and chorus. Might have to listen to the entirety of the Black Album. A lot of people say it's where Metallica's decline started, but I've really liked all the tracks I've heard from it so far (Enter Sandman, Sad but True, The Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam) so I'd probably be inclined to disagree.

any recommendations for Prog Rock/Prog Metal bands
Well I can't say for what metal bands there are, and never even considered there was prog metal. lets give it a crack anyway. I take it there's not a timeline restriction else this makes it difficult. One most notable band is Genesis if you consider there album Trespass to even Duke has its merits, so there's a decade of discography there. On that note Peter Gabriel's solo album career took this path with four self entitled LPs though I'd guess you'd prefer his 77' and 78' it gets a bit more experimental with the other two. Naturally you then have Pink Floyd, early Yes or Moody Blues; you have the complete different pieces of Emmerson, Lake & Palmer which to me are more ambient noise to me. Kinda on the level with how Vaperwave has become.
Talking of which :
and getting his forth album

Well I can't say for what metal bands there are, and never even considered there was prog metal. lets give it a crack anyway. I take it there's not a timeline restriction else this makes it difficult. One most notable band is Genesis if you consider there album Trespass to even Duke has its merits, so there's a decade of discography there. On that note Peter Gabriel's solo album career took this path with four self entitled LPs though I'd guess you'd prefer his 77' and 78' it gets a bit more experimental with the other two. Naturally you then have Pink Floyd, early Yes or Moody Blues; you have the complete different pieces of Emmerson, Lake & Palmer which to me are more ambient noise to me. Kinda on the level with how Vaperwave has become.

Suggestions noted! Probably should have mentioned I already listen to Pink Floyd, although I've barely scratched the surface with them. Only albums I've heard are Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall.

and never even considered there was prog metal.

You're really missing out!

When it comes to Pink Floyd, I'd definitely recommend the Division Bell album - I know a lot of people write it off as their final proper album, and pretty distinct from their earlier work, but I think it makes for a fascinating listen. It's a taste of what a 90s Pink Floyd would sound like, with all the glossier semi-modern production that entailed - particularly on High Hopes, which has of my favourite Floyd guitar solos on it.

Otaku-san said:
and never even considered there was prog metal.
You're really missing out!

Well even though it's something I don't usually go for it wasn't what I was expecting. Whenever I think of Metal as a genre I always think its something like thrash metal. As you said that it didn't matter if I recommended the super obvious, but thought it be odd for someone asking for it yet not have heard any Pink Floyd. Last month had an hour long special of Pink Floyds beginnings on BBC4, which was just a back to back of there songs from 67-72'.
Also is it worth mentioning The Who. I've only really enjoyed a couple of songs, so I wouldn't be surprised if it comes across as prog-rock too

I feel ya Lamba, five hours to prepare myself for a presentation and, led by the YouTube algorithms, this has become my unlikely psyche up music:

Feels weird having deadlines that matter again after several years of the listless NEET and minimum wage-slave life. Not entirely comfortable with it yet. Still, onwards and upwards.

Just various stuff from Perfume's 'Cosmic Explorer' album. Currently listening to "Miracle Worker" from that album ^_^

It's funny, I really wasn't keen on this song the first time I heard it. I listened to Dream Theater because they were, first and foremost, a prog metal band, and this is very much not that. However, the more I listened to it, the more I grew to love it. Hell, that pretty much goes for the majority of the album it came from, Awake; a grower. Now, it's probably one of my favourite Dream Theater songs. The piano throughline is just really haunting and beautiful, and I love how more instruments come in over time, which leads to a great ending, followed by the great intro being repeated for an outro. Although it is technically a Dream Theater song, this is very much all Kevin Moore, and his last gift to Dream Theater fans before his departure from the group. As much as I love Jordan Rudess, I can't help but feel as if I would have loved another album or two with Moore. Rudess is almost certainly the more technically proficient musician, but Kevin Moore is more subtle, less about showing off and bombast. You can kind of hear this when Rudess plays some of Moore's material live, as he always seems to add to it in some way, and tries to make it more complex, and it's not always for the best.

Anyway, this has been the latest installment in 'IncendiaryLemon's Occasional Dream Theater Ramblings No One Cares About'.

Back