General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

That overseas anime cover thread reminded me how brilliant Macros Plus the Movie is. But it's the only thing of Macross I've ever seen. Can any experts tell me if there's anything else similar to it in the franchise, or where I should start to dip my toe?

vashdaman said:
Can any experts tell me if there's anything else similar to [Macross Plus] in the franchise
There's not, really. The other parts of the series are all more similar to each other I would say, even the bad ones.

or where I should start to dip my toe?
This is a much easier question. Either DYRL (the movie connected to the original series), or Macross F (the most recent TV series from 2008 - the next TV series, Delta, is going to be set just eight years later in the continuity).

Brilliant, at least the bit recommending Do You Remember Love, as that's the one I most wanted to check out, simply due to it's great title. So would it be watchable without having seen the original show then?

IncendiaryLemon said:
Wow, maybe I should import HS afterall...

You might as well, I don't see MVM continuing the franchise considering the entire series is available by Sentai, and knowing the obvious (the fact that HS is rather niche) it will most likely sell poorly for them.

Not a new video, but having only recently discovered the youtube series Every Frame a Painting, which is a neat little collection of video essays on film form, I thought it worth mentioning that they've done a very interesting one on Satoshi Kon's editing techniques:

Last edited by a moderator:
Conflicted if I should buy the UBW when I comes out. I reckon I have about £60 left from christmas but I don't think it's the best series ever. Do you guys reckon it's gonna sell out because fate is very popular.

black1blade said:
Conflicted if I should buy the UBW when I comes out. I reckon I have about £60 left from christmas but I don't think it's the best series ever. Do you guys reckon it's gonna sell out because fate is very popular.

Probably best to look into how quickly Fate Zero sold out as a rough guide to how long it'll take to sell out.

Though I'd say the fact that you are conflicted means it is a set you want to pick up and you maybe shouldn't tempt fate by trying to wait things out.

Rosencrantz said:
black1blade said:

Probably best to look into how quickly Fate Zero sold out as a rough guide to how long it'll take to sell out.

Though I'd say the fact that you are conflicted means it is a set you want to pick up and you maybe shouldn't tempt fate by trying to wait things out.
8)
Yeah I'll save my christmas money.

Having recently acquired access to Amazon Prime instant video, I thought I'd have a look at their selection of anime and I was surprised to find it's virtually non-existant, beyond Pokemon and Avatar (if you even count Avatar). Perhaps it's to be expected that there wouldn't be much, as I get the impression their main target audience is somewhat older than Netflix, but given that they picked up Kabaneri as an exclusive, I'd have expected more from them. Even Kabaneri is not well advertised - the only way I could find it was to search by name.

Yeah, Prime Video is quite disappointing for anime. Weirdly, there's a lot of random Manga shows available to actually purchase outright on Amazon Video, including stuff like Dirty Pair, Nadesico, Ninja Nonsense, Irresponsible Captain Tylor and the Rose of Versailles. Didn't even know Manga had rights to half of those, unless this is one of those oddities where Manga's US division is involved or something.

Having recently acquired access to Amazon Prime instant video, I thought I'd have a look at their selection of anime and I was surprised to find it's virtually non-existant, beyond Pokemon and Avatar (if you even count Avatar). Perhaps it's to be expected that there wouldn't be much, as I get the impression their main target audience is somewhat older than Netflix, but given that they picked up Kabaneri as an exclusive, I'd have expected more from them. Even Kabaneri is not well advertised - the only way I could find it was to search by name.

I kinda get the impression, they went after the noitaminA deal for Japan, the rest of the world was just a bonus.

I think they had Digimon at one point too, but not anymore sadly...

One thing I would absolutely 100% recommend you watch via Amazon Prime (as they're free on there) are the three Rurouni Kenshin live action movies that came out recently - they're fantastic!

The second and third films are definitely a big step up from the first one (mainly as they cover the famous Kyoto arc) - it also has the plus of being more condensed than the anime, so you can get through it all in just two sittings, instead of around 20 episodes.

In case anyone didn't know they are showing the original Ghost in the Shell film at cinemas next year. January 25th. it's been shown in Japanese and subtitled.

I've just booked my ticket to see it. I've been kicking myself ever since it first was at the cinema for not going to see it back in what 1995.

Back