What manga are you reading now?

Picked up an early volume of Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt from the Viz stand at MCM - a bargain at just a fiver.

Obviously not quite as visually impactful as the anime version, and it's not as gripping as The Origin - but still, any Gundam in manga form is good with me.

Nodame Cantabile: Volume 1

I just can't help but feel a little underwhelmed after reading this first volume, I really can't gain a hook on any of the characters, I don't care for any of the male characters as they really just come across as jerks, and even though the main female in this is quite fun at times, there's nothing really to make me want to get invested in her. This volume Art Wise is not really my cup of tea either. But the volume plays a lot of it's cards close to it's chest and does make me intrigued to see what follows in the second and/or third volumes, probably one to explore further if there is a sale on.

I can definitely see it's appeal, but it's just not hitting the notes at the moment.

It takes its time to get going but it's so worth it once it does. I personally prefer the anime, as a series about music definitely needs the music to go with it, but in terms of storytelling the anime follows the manga very closely.

After two years I've finally completed both Tsubasa and xxxHOLiC. It was really worth reading both of these together, I love how the stories intertwine to give both a satisfying ending. Really need to get more Clamp manga.

I've been spacing those out as even the Kindle versions are on the pricier side. I do love both of them (with a preference for xxxHolic) - but I can see why for a lot of people they were a turn off for them toward CLAMP / a kind of end of an era for their dominance.

I can heartily recommend X - it's by far their best drawn manga imo, with way more detail than the art style used in Tsubasa / xxxHolic. It also takes a far darker tone too.

I've just read the first two volumes of xxxHOLiC Rei, and it's soooo gooood. It does the typical Holic thing of leaving you wondering what is going on, and revealing flashes and hints of the truth through subtlety and subtext and it just makes you want more. But with this manga on and off hiatus it could literally be a decade before this story finishes, or even worse it could be left unfinished forever, and that's tough to accept.

I've been spacing those out as even the Kindle versions are on the pricier side. I do love both of them (with a preference for xxxHolic) - but I can see why for a lot of people they were a turn off for them toward CLAMP / a kind of end of an era for their dominance.

I can heartily recommend X - it's by far their best drawn manga imo, with way more detail than the art style used in Tsubasa / xxxHolic. It also takes a far darker tone too.
X is right at the top of my manga 'to buy' list, it seems to be referenced a lot in Tsubasa and that has left me curious to read it.
And I also have a preference for Holic over Tsubasa, though I think both are superb.

Girls und Pander: Little Army: Volume 1

It takes its time to get going but it's so worth it once it does. I personally prefer the anime, as a series about music definitely needs the music to go with it, but in terms of storytelling the anime follows the manga very closely.

I have been meaning to check out the anime for a number of years, I remember it popping up in a couple of random places but I never found the time to watch it which I kind of regret now looking back, I definitely get the feel that it's one that takes it's time to build it's cast up which can only be a positive thing, but I'm not really in the market for a slow burner at moment, maybe sometime the line I will be possibly?!

Girls und Pander: Little Army: Volume 1

I have been meaning to check out the anime for a number of years, I remember it popping up in a couple of random places but I never found the time to watch it which I kind of regret now looking back, I definitely get the feel that it's one that takes it's time to build it's cast up which can only be a positive thing, but I'm not really in the market for a slow burner at moment, maybe sometime the line I will be possibly?!

It's definitely a slow starter but once it gets going it's delightful. Come back to it when you're ready for it :)

Kiss Him Not Me 5-6
Nisekoi 17

Back