UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I'm not bothered about OP/ED subs, but I am concerned with not being able to read them at all if a white background appears behind them in the show! Hopefully it won't be present in the UK version....?

While I couldn't care less about subs on the OP and ED, white subs without a decent black border would be ridiculous and makes them look like a bunch of amateurs tbh so I'd be curious to see them myself (I mean, are they different to Anime Limiteds usual subs?). I'd also like to know what he/she means by encoding issues....

Nope - they're the same as always for ours so I am a tad confused by that one, I guess just different regions have different expectations on subs but here are two sample shots I pulled quickly - so they have a black border but clearly not enough in some people's eyes (never had an issue with that thickness in Australia before on projects we shared using one of the EU authoring houses so I'm a bit at a loss here):

Slack for iOS Upload-4.jpg
Slack for iOS Upload-3.jpg

As for the encoding issue - I have genuinely no idea what they are referring to as we went through that multiple times and I can't see what they could be referring to. Emphasis on them saying "potential" too as that is pretty open on what could be irking. The discs went through a full QC here in detail so anything encoding wise should have been picked up on.

No song subs is explainable, Sunrise never provided them and as we were pushed to meet US deadlines, even if we could have gone back to do them we'd have been even later than the US wanted on deadline (we were late as was). Side note is that we'd not usually subtitle these either unless official lyrics can be provided too as there's too much that can go wrong there :).

Best,

AP

If the US got the ATA masters, I don't see why AL wouldn't.

@anime_andrew Those are a tad thin, but far from illegible, IMO.

They're a tad on the thin side I'd say, but it's a standard render font for subtitles and to re-render would add extra time on for deliver that was not available for the US delivery (plus it causes more risk of errors changing that kind of thing repeatedly, so as it was well within acceptable parameters we kept it). No border would just be amateur and weird as well (not to mention an irregular font choice for subtitles in authoring).

I have to admit, I find it a little disappointing when a release lacks subtitles for the OP/ED of a show. Samurai Flamenco has the same issue, I'm wondering if the authoring would have been done by the same people (though I don't recall having any issues with the font but then I'm pretty flexible/forgiving/imperceptive on that). If it is the same people then maybe it's an @Anime issue (I think the French side were responsible for Samurai Flamenco), though presumably they'd have contracted out.

Either way, I can't help feeling a little bad for our friendly local anime distributors, even if it is maybe kind of sort of their responsibility (or at least their wider company's responsibility).

It's almost always down to what's available at the time for op/eds, Sunrise are particularly selective though so we tend to avoid pushing on that side when we're close to the line especially when the subs were previously approved by Sunrise.

Samurai Flamenco's case is comparative as usually subs would be made for songs in the USA at the point of release and approved by Japan. In turn these would be sent to us and we could include them - as is it was never done after simulcast and the subs we were provided by the licensor in English had no song subs provided sadly. We'll look into it where possible in future to integrate in though when doing our authoring :).

It's not a fault to not have them either though, it comes down to style and if you are creating the official sub track or modifying - the former is much easier than the latter believe it or not.

AP

Nope - they're the same as always for ours so I am a tad confused by that one, I guess just different regions have different expectations on subs but here are two sample shots I pulled quickly - so they have a black border but clearly not enough in some people's eyes (never had an issue with that thickness in Australia before on projects we shared using one of the EU authoring houses so I'm a bit at a loss here):

As for the encoding issue - I have genuinely no idea what they are referring to as we went through that multiple times and I can't see what they could be referring to. Emphasis on them saying "potential" too as that is pretty open on what could be irking. The discs went through a full QC here in detail so anything encoding wise should have been picked up on.

No song subs is explainable, Sunrise never provided them and as we were pushed to meet US deadlines, even if we could have gone back to do them we'd have been even later than the US wanted on deadline (we were late as was). Side note is that we'd not usually subtitle these either unless official lyrics can be provided too as there's too much that can go wrong there :).

Best,

AP

Those subtitles are perfectly fine. I was expecting something as bad as Amazon's subtitles for Battery on the Xbox One app last season after reading the comment Grav posted.

They're not very professional subs. Don't change colour or size, nor are random Japanese words untranslated.

What I'd expect from those yatsu at Anime Limited.

We all know whose plan this was
keikaku.jpg

It's almost always down to what's available at the time for op/eds, Sunrise are particularly selective though so we tend to avoid pushing on that side when we're close to the line especially when the subs were previously approved by Sunrise.

Samurai Flamenco's case is comparative as usually subs would be made for songs in the USA at the point of release and approved by Japan. In turn these would be sent to us and we could include them - as is it was never done after simulcast and the subs we were provided by the licensor in English had no song subs provided sadly. We'll look into it where possible in future to integrate in though when doing our authoring :).

It's not a fault to not have them either though, it comes down to style and if you are creating the official sub track or modifying - the former is much easier than the latter believe it or not.
Those are all fair points. I wouldn't consider a lack of subtitles for the OP/ED to be a major issue but it's a nice feature to have if it's practical to do so. I probably care more than many because I routinely watch the OP/ED for every episode of every show, so it does add something to a release for me. It's certainly far from the most important thing though (unless the lyrics are crucial to the show in some way, though I don't think that happens often).

"This is a straight up garbage release since it was handled by All The Anime instead."

Lmao. Hyperbole much? And potentiality just someone looking to criticise AL because they're not TRSI imo. Interested to see this "garbage" myself now

Last edited:
They're a tad on the thin side I'd say, but it's a standard render font for subtitles and to re-render would add extra time on for deliver that was not available for the US delivery (plus it causes more risk of errors changing that kind of thing repeatedly, so as it was well within acceptable parameters we kept it). No border would just be amateur and weird as well (not to mention an irregular font choice for subtitles in authoring).

Both the font and border look a little thin for my taste. At least, for white text anyway. With yellow it'd probably be fine but for white I like a thicker font and border.

Although "like" isn't quite right. "Can read easily" is closer to the truth.

Yellow subs may well be uglier but I never have problems reading them. Overly thin white subtitles I find difficult to read during particularly bright or light scenes. Background, border and font have to contrast well otherwise I actually can't take it in.

AP

I'm one of those awkward chaps for whom the lack of song-subs is an instant no-buy.

"If it can be heard, it has to be read." (After all, I'd not be watching subtitled stuff otherwise...)
For one thing, if it's in Japanese then i don't care whether it's dialogue or lyric. I can't get more than a vague idea of what's going on without subs.
For another, I watch a lot of content with my deaf girlfriend. masks, beards or animated characters are hard to lipread so she needs the subtitles to fill in the bits her ears miss. And she has very choice words for any subtitles that decide that she doesn't deserve to know what the lyrics are.

Speaking of Gundam, Sunrise just released a live action short film which is styled as One Year War veterans reflecting on the conflict. Warning, only half of it is in English.

Back