The Official HdE Does Anime Thread

Ah, Oppai Missiles. Where would anime be without them?

I'm not really sure that giant robot shows are for me. I think I enjoyed Patlabor so much because it was more about the people inside/around the giant robots. I suppose many of these shows have a similar aspect but I'm never sure if the "downtime" of exciting robot battles is worth sitting through for those few character/story moments.

This week's scheduled review is a re-post of one that did well on my old channel. BEHOLD MY SEXY VOICE! It's my review of the DIRTY PAIR OVAS.
While I'd imagine that a review of the main series wouldn't really be too different, it might be interesting to see a review of Flash or possibly one (or more) of the movies (or whatever they technically are).

This week's review is up. It's a re-post of an oldie, but it's kind of relevant again. Since it recently got announced as a forthcoming re-release on Funimation's S.A.V.E. line, here's my review of The Legend of the Legendary Heroes.

And here's a picture which easily depicts its best feature:
Presumably that feature is it's Legendary title. I do actually kind of like the title (silly as it might seem), it's a shame that the show isn't great but at least there's still some potential enjoyment to be had. It would have been nice if they'd thought of a better way to end it, I suppose it is memorably blatant in it's inconclusiveness but maybe not in a good way.

The only other part of the franchise I've seen was Mazinkaiser SKL, but that is pretty much entirely its own entity.

SKL's actually on the big list of things to review at some stage - probably not until I can punt stats up a bit higher, though. I want to vary the kinds of shows I'm covering a bit before returning to something within the same franchise.

I'll be treading a bit carefully with Mazinger stuff, though. Apparently, it's really popular in Italy, and you know what THAT means...

I'm not really sure that giant robot shows are for me. I think I enjoyed Patlabor so much because it was more about the people inside/around the giant robots. I suppose many of these shows have a similar aspect but I'm never sure if the "downtime" of exciting robot battles is worth sitting through for those few character/story moments.

This is the thing with mecha anime. I keep hearing folks say that mecha shows don't play well to the UK fan base. But the reality of those shows is that, within a single genre, there are many different methods of execution. So some will skew toward action, others toward character drama, some relegate their mecha to background details, and some are... Godannar. But we don't talk about that!

Actually - SHAMELESS PROMO FOR UPCOMING VIDEO - next week I'll be taking a hiatus from posting video reviews. But you'll get a video on Monday morning that addresses mecha shows a bit more specifically. If it's something folks enjoy, I might well do more features like it.

To be fair, Patlabor without the giant robots wouldn't be Patlabor (they're in the title, even) so there must be something about them that appeals to me. I think it's more that I don't enjoy the fighting focussed ones (I don't think that's specific to mecha either) and even the ones that have other themes can often end up spending a little more time than I'd like on frequent battles.

Thinking about it though, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet has a giant robot and I liked that well enough even if it had it's issues (it does also have belly dancing though, so it's possible the robot wasn't the main appeal). I did also somewhat enjoy Full Metal Panic (I should really re-watch that at some point, I haven't seen the third season once yet either), although it had the whole school thing and Tessa. I'm not sure I've seen many others.

I wonder if it's simply that mecha are just an element of a show and don't necessarily define what the show will be about. Kind of like "cute girls", they even both suffer from being generalised about without regard for the individual qualities of a show.

Last edited:
When I get posts like that one in this thread, it makes my whole Youtube venture feel worthwhile.

Allow me to do a little creative editing and re-posting of it to support what I want to say back to it:

To be fair, Patlabor without the giant robots wouldn't be Patlabor (they're in the title, even) so there must be something about them that appeals to me. I think it's more that I don't enjoy the fighting focussed ones (I don't think that's specific to mecha either) and even the ones that have other themes can often end up spending a little more time than I'd like on frequent battles.

I wonder if it's simply that mecha are just an element of a show and don't necessarily define what the show will be about. Kind of like "cute girls", they even both suffer from being generalised about without regard for the individual qualities of a show.

That's basically it! The great thing about anime, when it's done well and not conceived as a mediocre tie-in or merchandise to push another product, is that it can be REALLY creative in terms of the themes and issues it addresses. In some ways, I think this is wasted on alot of folks who are new to it.

A common complaint I've heard bout mecha anime from folks who (evidently) haven't watched a great deal of it is that it isn't action packed enough for them. I remember when I was in school, one of my pals was given a VHS tape of Robotech, and that made him the coolest kid in class... until the other cool kids went over to his place and saw it. They'd got this idea that Japanese cartoons were technically amazing (and as we know, they often aren't) and that it would be wall to wall giant robot action! WAY better than Transformers and GoBots! Then they came away annoyed at how the show concentrated on characters and love triangles and other guff like that.

The issue there is one of expectation versus reward. A lot of folks, I think, make the mistake of thinking that because their entertainment doesn't do what they go into it thinking it will, it's somehow bad. And that's objectively not the case.

Now, leaving aside for a moment that I REALLY don't care for Robotech, I've seen a lot of similar shows that were ostensibly billed as giant robot shows but focussed more on story ideas and character arcs. A good example would be Super Dimension Century Orguss, which is an AMAZING piece of science fiction TV, with the mecha aspect built into it as a means to certain narrative ends. Despite being made for a TV audience, and being pretty old now, there's some really, really great stuff in it. And some of it deals with some pretty mature concepts. There's a lot to keep the viewer's brain engaged besides the frequent mecha battles.

I think most shows have the potential to do interesting things that step outside the framework of their genre. Heck, look how School Days ended!

Thinking about it though, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet has a giant robot and I liked that well enough even if it had it's issues (it does also have belly dancing though, so it's possible the robot wasn't the main appeal). I did also somewhat enjoy Full Metal Panic (I should really re-watch that at some point, I haven't seen the third season once yet either), although it had the whole school thing and Tessa. I'm not sure I've seen many others.

You mention a couple of especially interesting shows there. Gargantia's kind of an odd duck in that it gives it's central robot a personality and incorporates it into the story as an actual character. (It also gives said mecha the VERY BEST line of dialogue in the whole show - but that's by the by!)
That's really unusual for mecha shows in general. I'm hard pressed to think of many others that do that. Maybe the Braves series. But then, outside of GaoGaiGar, they're not especially well known.

Full Metal Panic is a weird 'un, though. I don't mind it, but I've never really got what the fuss is about. The Second Raid is straight up fantastic. But I find the first series a bit middling. It might actually be the school elements that let it down for me.

The biggest issue I had with Full Metal Panic was the villain, who was both comically inept and unreasonably invulnerable. There were some pretty good stories (like the little "war" one) but having them frequently be driven by a useless villain and a plague of stupidity tended to detract from the overall experience.

I have Orguss on my list of things I'd like to try, you do get quite a bit of content on the Discotek release but it's still a bit of an investment for something of a gamble. I do also try to avoid buying DVDs these days but I've no idea how likely a Blu-ray release would be and that could have it's own issues anyway.

I have Orguss on my list of things I'd like to try, you do get quite a bit of content on the Discotek release but it's still a bit of an investment for something of a gamble. I do also try to avoid buying DVDs these days but I've no idea how likely a Blu-ray release would be and that could have it's own issues anyway.

You never really know with Discotek about the possibility of Blu Ray releases. I would say, though, there's no appreciable downside to the DVD release.

Orguss is slated for a review at some point in the not too distant future. I can tell you, though, the show is WELL worth laying down money for. Discotek's release is pricey, but the show clocks in at 35 episodes and the transfer is excellent.

Do be warned, though, it's exactly what you'd expect of an early '80s mecha show. So there's a load of re-used footage, and some choppy writing in places.

But it's worth it. You can also play a drinking game with it as well. Take a shot every time somebody cries 'MIM-U-JEE!' and you'll likely die of alcohol poisoning!

Righty - after a hiatus of sorts last week, here's another BRAND NEW review. This time, it's a picking apart of a show with a DANGEROUSLY addictive theme tune. It's Dai-Guard, by Studio Xebec.

Incidentally, this one placed pretty high in search rankings right off the bat. I seem to be doing pretty well for having videos climb up in searches lately, and this has a very tangible benefit for the channel. https://youtu.be/nbNW3dNIuPY

If you're hitting that thumbs up button, please know that I'm very grateful!

I remember Dai Guard - one of the first digital-only TV anime, if I remember correctly. Definitely one of ADV's earliest DVD releases anyway.

I remember Dai Guard - one of the first digital-only TV anime, if I remember correctly. Definitely one of ADV's earliest DVD releases anyway.

Yep. Sort-of-kind-of mentioned in the review. It's kind of interesting to look back at just to see how the new technology and techniques were being used.

This week's video is up, and I'm tackling something a bit unusual.

STREET FIGHTER IV - THE TIES THAT BIND has only ever, to my knowledge, been made available as a pack in extra with the game's premium edition release. Waving away, for a second, my pathological loathing of all things labelled 'premium edition,' it's not actually half bad.

I get into it on my channel. So head on over and give it a look. Or I'll come to your house and spinning piledrive you!

14591704_1202260029831190_7691483304100179852_n.jpg

This week's review is up, and it's another re-post. This time, my review of Dallos has gone up again. Wherein I explain a little of why I love anime from the '80s so much.

14720566_1209652625758597_2919775090280075952_n.jpg

Probably worthwhile letting everyone in on something at this point: It's looking likely that the channel will go on hiatus through December and January. The period immediately after christmas is traditionally terrible for revenue on Youtube, so it makes no business sense to even bother for that month. To be honest, I need the break!

I'm hoping I'll be able to work up some new stuff in the downtime. There's also a possibility of another Youtube project in the offing, but I'm keeping the cat well and truly in the bag on that one for the time being.

Last edited:
Just got caught up on your recent videos, good stuff as usual.

Oddly enough, Dai-Guard was probably one my earlier anime purchases and I still haven't actually gotten around to watching it. I'm not sure if/when I will, but it does sound like it could be reasonably fun and it's nice to have an idea of what to expect.

As I understand it, what the R.O.D in R.O.D The TV stands for is slightly complicated since it's based on Read or Dream as well as Read or Die (though Read or Dream is set in the same universe as Read or Die anyway... I think). I'm not sure it really matters and I don't know all of the details but maybe there's some important reasoning behind the name (or maybe not). Either way, I'll look forward to your thoughts on the show.

As I understand it, what the R.O.D in R.O.D The TV stands for is slightly complicated since it's based on Read or Dream as well as Read or Die (though Read or Dream is set in the same universe as Read or Die anyway... I think). I'm not sure it really matters and I don't know all of the details but maybe there's some important reasoning behind the name (or maybe not). Either way, I'll look forward to your thoughts on the show.

Just to be completely transparent here, I wouldn't hold your breath for that specific review. I mentioned that the channel is probably going on a short hiatus, but I'm already taking a while away from watching anime in general. I've been feeling pretty low on energy lately, and I'm focusing on more lucrative pursuits for the time being. It's basically a case of only having so many hours in the week and desperately trying to find the time to do everything I need or have to.

Might be worth mentioning that I've also been up to my eyeballs in comic book work as well. And while that's nice, it's been breaking my brain!

ROD seems to be one of those franchises that was a really big name back in the day, but most people have forgotten now. I watched the OVAs a while back and really enjoyed them - they had that retro feel that most anime these days really can't capture. So I'd definitely be interested in checking out more of the franchise.

ROD seems to be one of those franchises that was a really big name back in the day, but most people have forgotten now.

Pretty much half the point of the channel is to dig up stuff from years gone by and remind folks it exists (for good or ill!)

Quickie update to let folks know that I've recently re-posted my old reviews of DEAD LEAVES and NEGADON: THE MONSTER FROM MARS on the channel.

No direct links this time, because I'm going to try something different. Here's a link to the main channel on Youtube itself:
HdE Does Anime

Please make sure you're subscribed if you enjoy the channel. Decisions are being made about how it'll continue through 2017, and a lot comes down to numbers and stats.

Last edited:
Back