Manga UK Expo May 2010 Interview Video + Summary

Neferpitou

Stand User
Produced by ukanime.net:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="285" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/9d409435/"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/9d409435/" width="437" height="285" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler"></embed></object>

A Summary of the recent MANGA UK interview

They currently believe SUB only release method is best used with downloads and streaming. But are considering sub-only DVDs if they think its financial feasible. They think its risk to release to release SUB only here as they haven't got the several territories to sell too as BEEZ do. If they do release SUB only DVD release it would have to a be well known series already in the UK and have already sold well before in the UK.

Evanglion 1.11 sold 3000 in its first week with 60% of the sales on Blu-Ray.

They are unlikely to release upscaled Animes to Blu-Ray like Funimation are currently doing in the states.

They are trying to license Welcome to the Space Show Movie.

Eden of the East will probably use Madman master but as with all their Blu-Ray release they will be using Funimation masters as it works out cheaper. They don't have the rights to the movies just yet but they hopefully will get them if the series sells well.

FMA: Brotherhood was licensed from Aniplex and not sub-licensed from Funimation. They currently use Funimation's video for the streaming version.

Sub-licensing an Anime from Funimation or Viz is not as profitable than licensing the anime themselves.

Neferpitou said:
Sub-licensing an Anime from Funimation or Viz is not as profitable than licensing the anime themselves.
Soooo, could they sub-license One Piece from FUNi?
They should sell loads, I mean it's One Piece

Mohawk52 said:
Sub only is good for instant gratification streaming, but if they want my money it has to have a dub, full stop. :wink:
Should be the other way round:
Dub is for instant gratification TV broadcast.
Sub is the one colectors will pay for.
Disk is superior enough to streaming to be worth buying regardless. It isn't compared to fansubs tho' (on acount of being a real download). Being able to pause the video, no requirement of constant decent internet conection (for decent quality) and use of whatever player you like are all big enough advantages as is.

Remeber us sub fans are repared to pay just as much for a sub only release as for a hybrid one. To us a dub track is just a special feature that wastes space on the disk that could be used for a better japanese audio track (more the issue on some BD releases). We'd far rather the money went of getting the actual special features (if there were any) and on getting the subs right.(can no one afford to even have them proof read by an English speaker)

Paradox295 said:
Neferpitou said:

One Piece has had poor sales in America and in Australia. They won't license it ever.

Neferpitou said:

Wow 60:40 split in favor of Blu-ray is interesting. I hope this leads to them actively seeking more Anime that is available in HD.

Neferpitou said:
They are unlikely to release upscaled Animes to Blu-Ray like Funimation are currently doing in the states.

This interests me too, I was under the impression the upcoming FMA:Brotherhood release was going to be upscaled ala Funi's? Is this not the case? Perhaps I'm a little misinformed, it's not a title I follow, I was considering it purely because it was on Blu-ray, but after hearing Funi's release was going to be upscaled I stopped paying attention. Did Funi do a u-turn, or are Manga using different masters or something?

BAKA said:
Neferpitou said:

Wow 60:40 split in favor of Blu-ray is interesting. I hope this leads to them actively seeking more Anime that is available in HD.

Neferpitou said:

This interests me too, I was under the impression the upcoming FMA:Brotherhood release was going to be upscaled ala Funi's? Is this not the case? Perhaps I'm a little misinformed, it's not a title I follow, I was considering it purely because it was on Blu-ray, but after hearing Funi's release was going to be upscaled I stopped paying attention. Did Funi do a u-turn, or are Manga using different masters or something?
FMA:B is actually in HD unlike most of the shows FUNi are releasing on BD. The shows that have a BD release in Japan should actually be HD.

Shadowguy said:
FMA:B is not full 1080p afaik, but it is HD (something like 720 or so).

FMA:B is 1080p but FUNis BD is a 480p upscale.

Non-HD TV is normally in 720. Broadcast+ released in 480p. Hence why CR has things like Naruto in 720 which isn't broadcast HD.

No-one streams in 1080 as next to no internet can handle it (15Mb/s minimum) and it needs to actually use your graphics card.
If it has a Japanese BD it's in 1080. Otaku wouldn't buy an uscale, same as they won't buy things with animation errors. Note the total lack of upscale BD releases in Japan, even for things broadcast in 720p.

Durial666 said:
Paradox295 said:
Neferpitou said:

One Piece has had poor sales in America and in Australia. They won't license it ever.

Manga admited their comments about One Piece selling poorly in America and in Australia was Purely anecdotal.

http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/16207316504

It probably did sell badly in Australia though but that not surprising when all they sold was 4kid version and not well received movie version of Arabasta Arc.

Still can't see it being released here the UK as I can't think of many Toei titles to make it over. Also the seemingly needless cost on converting NTSC to PAL will be quite pricey with out sharing Master cost with MADMAN.

Neferpitou said:
Durial666 said:
Paradox295 said:
Neferpitou said:

Manga admited their comments about One Piece selling poorly in America and in Australia was Purely anecdotal.

http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/16207316504

It probably did sell badly in Australia though but that not surprising when all they sold was 4kid version and not well received movie version of Arabasta Arc.

Still can't see it being released here the UK as I can't think of many Toei titles to make it over. Also the seemingly needless cost on converting NTSC to PAL will be quite pricey with out sharing Master cost with MADMAN.
that makes perfect sense

they should've gone for Funi's version

Reaper gI said:
Otaku wouldn't buy an uscale, same as they won't buy things with animation errors. Note the total lack of upscale BD releases in Japan, even for things broadcast in 720p.
Mmm, there are a few. Stuff like CANAAN and other Pony Canyon stuff, most notably.

ilmaestro said:
Reaper gI said:
Otaku wouldn't buy an uscale, same as they won't buy things with animation errors. Note the total lack of upscale BD releases in Japan, even for things broadcast in 720p.
Mmm, there are a few. Stuff like CANAAN and other Pony Canyon stuff, most notably.
CANAAN got eaten alive by Bakemonogatari
I swear K-on! is in HD
Tears to Tiara
the other one's Koihime Musou

They haven't realy put out much have they :p (any others you can find?)

I don't see what relevance "CANAAN got eaten alive by Bakemonogatari" has to the fact that the picture is a weird upscaley thing.

Other "non-proper" BD releases I can think of are Spice & Wolf, Taisho Yakyuu Musume, not sure if 11eyes is, White Album, Gunslinger Girl (iirc)... pretty sure there will be a couple of others out there, too.

Back