Evangelion: 2.0 released on 27th of June in Japan

chaos

The Boss
From <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-19/anno-evangelion-2.0-film-slated-for-june-27-in-japan">ANN</a>

<b>Evangelion: 2.0 You Can [Not] Advance</b>, will open on 27th of June in Japan.

"The project's official website and the second film's teaser, which was shown with the first film, promised the fan-favorite character Asuka, the EVA-02 through -06 units with new designs for many of them, a new eyeglasses-wearing brunette girl character, more fan-service, a shocking new story, and new visuals." The character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto designed three Be@rbrick toys - one each for Asuka, the character Rei, and a mystery character - to be sold separately on March 14 or bundled with advance film ticket purchases."

For those of you who can't wait, Funimation will release the R1 DVD later this year, but this is one title that would surprise us if it didn't make it to the UK.

I didn't think that Funi were sheduled to release 1.0 (or 1.01 or 1.11 or whatever it is now) until near the end of 2009, so 2.0 won't be released for quite a while after that. The big question is will Funi dub it? I do hope so.

(no doubt someone will say 'why wait, just download it')

1.11?Well that sure is a kick in the S2 engine for anyone that bought the 1.01 dvd last year(like me TT_TT).Still though, I wonder if 2.0 is going to live up to all the hype, or maybe answer some of the questions that 1.0 raised(probably not ,this is eva.)

ilmaestro said:
I want these (just the first one would do, for now) on Blu-ray. ;_;
They announce a blu-ray version of 1.0 called 1.11, but it's out in JP only. No HD plans for US or UK as far as I know.

From that link on the first post:

"In related news, the official Evangelion website has announced on Thursday that the first movie in the remake project, Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone, will get a "1.11" release on Blu-ray Disc and DVD on May 27. The 1.11 release will include new cuts and digital mastering."

Will they ever stop messing with Eva?

Still waiting for ADV to flog the dead horse one more time and bring out the series in HD.

But so long as its got Rei its all good ;)

chaos said:
From that link on the first post:

"In related news, the official Evangelion website has announced on Thursday that the first movie in the remake project, Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone, will get a "1.11" release on Blu-ray Disc and DVD on May 27. The 1.11 release will include new cuts and digital mastering."
Haha, that'll teach me to actually read stuff! :D

This news makes me positively moist with excitement.

ilmaestro said:
This news makes me positively moist with excitement.

If the news alone makes you moist then, on the other end of the Eva table, this news makes me need lubrication.

The first film was pretty good. Not amazing, just pretty good. There was nothing until the end that wasn't in the anime. To be honest, I'd rather rewatch the less rushed anime instead if given a choice between rewatching the film and the TV series.

I've never understood why Eva is revered for being made as confusing as humanly possible. I also can't say I understand why the Eva fans are fapping over recaps with graphical updates. The TV series hardly looks bad, and it even had a very nice remastered DVD release. Unless the second film starts adding a lot of content then it'll be a waste of time, from my perspective at least.

so they are adding an extra few Eva units then, wonder who will be piloting numbers 5 + 6 (asuming 4 still goes missing and 3 gets controlled by an angel)

Doesn't one of the new units have drills for arms?I'm sure I saw drills on the preview trailer....Anayway,I think Kawarou gets Eva 06,but thats only because the trailer shows it coming from the moon, whereas Mari,the new girl,will probably get Eva 05.

"The free EVA-EXTRA02 paper magazine has confirmed on Saturday that the Japanese-American pop artist Hikaru Utada will sing the theme song of Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance film. "
I know there are a few ukaru hitada fans around. (or was it just rui?)

chaos said:
"The free EVA-EXTRA02 paper magazine has confirmed on Saturday that the Japanese-American pop artist Hikaru Utada will sing the theme song of Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance film. "
I know there are a few ukaru hitada fans around. (or was it just rui?)

I heard this earlier. Very excited. I loved Beautiful World in 1.0 so this should be one to look forward to as well.

Though I can't think how she's found time to write it in between the relentless advertising for her US album.

R

Project-2501 said:
I didn't think that Funi were sheduled to release 1.0 (or 1.01 or 1.11 or whatever it is now) until near the end of 2009, so 2.0 won't be released for quite a while after that. The big question is will Funi dub it? I do hope so.

(no doubt someone will say 'why wait, just download it')
Why wait, just buy the official HK version with good quality english subs. It's gone up in price a bit since I paid £8 for it. :p

Looking forward to this though (I enjoyed the first one, and will take a remake over fiddling with the original any day) and am hoping these new characters and Eva units actually benefit the story rather than just Hideaki Anno's wallet.

Oh. Oh. Oh my.

/gibber

Also saw this last week. It is blistering.

--

(Spoilers follow, I guess)

--

Mari is insane. But, like, literally. And in a good way. Really fun addition to the show.

I agree with anyone who says that the first film was good, but maybe not good enough to say that these movies are going to be better overall than the TV series. This movie totally makes up for it. If the next two are this good (or, hopefully, better) this will be the definitive version of Eva, for me.

The pace and impact of this film is unreal, considering that we're still basically dealing with stuff from the original series + some "wrinkles" such as Mari, it's amazing how fresh it felt. I was literally on the edge of my seat, I don't actually recall Eva being as exciting first time around.

The movies have maybe lost something due to the limited downtime and having less time for character introspection, but it's not like they completely bypass this aspect this time even in what is essentially, imo, an action movie. Shinji losing it after Gendo orders the use of the Dummy System leading to Asuka's "death" is very powerful, but I think maybe Rei's sense of loneliness and expendability is played down as a result of the pace of the movie.

The final scenes are awesome. The emphasis on Shinji's relationship with Rei provides the movie with it's central thread, and this is a great "conclusion" in that respect. Kaworu's appearance at the end is suitably stunning, and it will be really interesting to see how his presumably more prominent role will be played out in the last two movies. It's a testament to the depth of the series concept that we can look forward to another re-telling of it so much.

I really can't emphasize how much I enjoyed this, and how much I'm looking forward to Quickening and the fourth movie. I just hope the wait isn't too long, and that the wait for the Blu-ray of this isn't nearly two years like the first one!

Last edited by a moderator:
ilmaestro said:
Shinji losing it after Gendo orders the use of the Dummy System leading to Asuka's "death" is very powerful

Damn, I didn't expect that. Having Asuka appear and die in the same movie seems like a bit of a jip. At least it points to them taking the films in a new direction I suppose.. Or are the quotes implying a 'maybe not' here?

Yes, sorry, since you're asking this is a re-working of episode 18 before where Toji is piloting Unit 3 when it is possessed and goes berserk. Asuka is the pilot instead in the movie, and she doesn't actually die but Shinji thinks she has. I wasn't aware of how well-known or publicized the changes like this were, maybe I should have used actual spoilers in my post.

Out of an induced curiosity, I read the spoilers for this film. Turns out that, contrary to what I was told by a friend,
The Third Impact doesn't fully occur at the end of this
. One assumes this means the ultimate direction in which the 'New Eva' is heading still remains anyone's guess.

Back