Crunchyroll to add 12 ADV Titles

Damn right, they'll add just about every Media Blaster show from the last few years except for GaoGaiGar, the one show I would ironicaly plok money down for.

Angelic Layer sounds familiar and iirc is a long-standing fan favourite, and I've wanted to get Nadesico for ages. The rest are either 1. I've never heard of or 2. are famous for being utterly awful (Re: Lady Death). It's a nice idea and worth keeping an eye on but I'd wait until they add some *good* shows to the list before I voice my enthusiasm for it.

psssst Martin, it's just the Nadesico movie

which as a Nadesico fan, i have to admit, was terrible, specially if u've not played the dreamcast game

Media blasters are also on there

Anime industery pre 2008 - CR sucks, CR is evil etc

Anime industery during 2008 - OOOOOOOOHHH LOOK they got 4 million dollars lets go there.

For years the CEO of media blasters was fully against CR then he saw they had 4 mill and thought I want some of that.........who can blame him

Both Angelic Layer and Kaleido Star are good shoujo series. Can't speak for the rest of the series there - saw Nadesico: Prince of Darkness but it was disappointing - but at least there are a couple of decent series there.

Have to say, wouldn't pay $2 per episode for something that I don't have physically. Would rather just go out, buy the thinpak collections and be done with it.

The Aaron said:
I'm sold on Girl's High just from the name! >_>
Girl's High (aka Jyoshikousei or High School Girls) is a lot of fun and... wrong to the extreme (in the right way in my opinion ;)). I don't think it is to everyone's taste but it is a good comedy/slice of life type of show.

MechAnnoyed said:
How has CrunchyRoll not been shutdown? I don't quite get the legal status of the site.

Welcome to the internet

And the head circus clown over at AnimeOnVHSTape.com goes to the center stage and stands on his soap box over why it's harder to care anymore. :lol:

Oh yes im just going to copy and paste this guys reply to funimations statement on crunchyroll $4 million investment........its funny have a read.

A very frustrating statement indeed:

Quote:
Funimation has been carefully monitoring the activities of crunchyroll.com for some time.

And yet in a picture-perfect "O RLY?" moment, I was able to start playing Negima, xxxHOLiC, and Love and Honor within moments of reading this. At least the two anime had this handy notation on their pages:
cruncyroll.com wrote:
Licensed by FUNimation
PleaseRemove

Knowing is half the battle, I guess. Thanks crunchyroll!

Quote:
Since 2006 Funimation has provided several letters notifying the site's operators of copyright infringement issues in connection with content that has been made available through this site.

I have to admit that I'm curious as to how many times it makes sense to ask nicely before you just say "f*** it, these guys aren't going to stop" and contact the FBI.
Quote:
To date, crunchyroll.com has complied with FUNimation's demands to remove the applicable content.

O RLY?

Quote:
The battle against unauthorized distribution of anime is a battle that Funimation cannot fight on its own.

True. The number for the Fort Worth Resident Agency of the FBI is 817-989-8259. The FBI Dallas Field office is 972-559-5000.
Quote:
Without proactive and effective copyright policing and enforcement by those that control anime content, sites like this will continue to gain a reputation as outlets for free anime.

Sending DMCA takedown notices to a company actively working from an attitude that consent to their distribution of this "windfall content" is implied until such time as they receive such a notice is neither proactive nor effective. There might be a Whac-a-Mole game over at Dave & Buster's that could prove more fulfilling.
Quote:
If this happens, the entire anime industry will suffer, making the expensive and time consuming work of producing anime content for the U.S. market impossible.

As we've stated before, we will continue to act in the best interests of our Japanese licensors — and that includes ensuring that our industry as a whole has a commercial future in the U.S.

Well, as long as the situation is being carefully monitored... OK

Crunchyroll is just Napster 2. Some guys get rich ripping off other peoples work and are then legitamised by the industry. Doesn't make me feel particularly well disposed towards either party.

PIRACY! IS! A! CRIME!
...but you can become rich and successful being a pirate.

Kinda contradictory, isn't it?

ayase said:
Crunchyroll is just Napster 2. Some guys get rich ripping off other peoples work and are then legitamised by the industry. Doesn't make me feel particularly well disposed towards either party.

PIRACY! IS! A! CRIME!
...but you can become rich and successful being a pirate.

Kinda contradictory, isn't it?

Kind of true I say that because at least napstar were not asking for donations like crunchyroll were I see crunchyroll have done a lot worse than napstar did but I see what u are getting at. And I have to ask the question what kind of message this sends out to other people? I can now see people trying to set up there own sites and do the same thing.

Why are all these Anime distributors now getting in bed with Crunchyroll?
Simple, as the old saying goes: If you can't beat em', join em'.

While I'm sure they would all be delighted if the site fell, it's not going to happen, so they may as well use Crunchyroll's massive fanbase to try and flog their products.
Personally I only use the site to watch their massive selection of unlicensed Ecchi, which for me is a good enough reason to justify their existence. 8)

Back