New guy

Conan

Completely Average High School Student
Hi folks.

I am having problems figuring out which version of an anime title is the best version to buy/watch. I've been told that its mostly better to watch the japanese version of a DVD and not so good to watch lame english dubbed versions.

So i'm hoping for a little advice to help me make the better choice when buying my DVD's.

Obviously i'm new to anime and any help would be great.

:D

Hey there! :)

Welcome to the forums. If you need help or advice on what sort of anime to purchase, then you can post all relevant topics in this forum:

http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewforum.php?f=8

There are loads of people willing to help you out. ^^ Personally I prefer subbed anime - purely because the dubbed versions commonly have missing scenes and the voice actors are too over the top and screechy/whiny. They put too much exaggeration into their voice and it can ruin a show... but maybe that's just me being picky. x)

hi and welcome

this theard will most likey be moved soon but here gose.

i think you should give both a try and decide which one you like better as its a matter of taste.

i like the dub and i usely watch most of my dvds in dub as ive watch them in sub when they where fansub. it also matters how well the dub has been done. sometimes its so bad you want to rip off your ears but that for you to deicde really.

so best way to find out is to just try both and i guess its lucky that when you buy the dvd most of the time you have to chose between sub and dub :).

It really is a matter of taste at the end of the day, I dislike dubs with a passion which is why I allways opt for the japanese audio but whatever floats your boat.

Thanks guys,

I used to buy my anime from a japanese store online....origonally via Ebay. And the guy there told me that FX do the best english dubs. (tried to find out about FX but cant find any site or anything).

What i was getting at was if the likes of ADV and Manga both released the same title (or does that not happen?).....which one do you go for. I have tried to do some homework on this but just get carried from one website to another and before i know it i get lost in internet confusion.

What prompted this post was the fact i bought AKIRA the other day from my usual Ebay guy, i had bought it before as a special edition English dubbed ersion (the one with 2 boxes), and it was great. But this one is really bad to understand as its in Japanese with subs, and the subs just dont make any sense. If i hadnt seen the other version i would be pretty lost with this one. :shock:

Hope that makes some kinda sense.....

:oops:

Maybe its simpler to ask - If 2 or more versions of the same title exist that have been dubbed by different companies/groups/whatever, then is there a particular dubbing company that is renound for being better than the rest?

Sorry guys, i'm trying.....just its a bit confusing as i dont have too much (if any) knowledge of anime. I only started getting into it about a year ago.
:? :D

I don't think more than one company does the subbing and subtitling for any one title - it's rare but does happen occasionally. Akira is one of the exceptions because it's a fairly old film so the UK/US rights have changed over the years - because of that there's more than one dub of it (the current DVD box set from Manga Entertainment has both versions).

As for buying off Ebay, it's a great way to get DVDs for a low price but you need to be careful that they're not trying to sell a pirate or bootleg copy. This site has a very helpful article about the pitfalls of being ripped off by unscrupulous bootleggers.

Ok. I am a bit clearer now.

The stuff i get from ebay is all good non pirated stuff, lovely packages. I got Both box sets (eps 1-95) of Reruni Kenshin for £65 English or Japanese sound.......From what i've seen that aint bad...and that was about a year ago (i think...maybe a bit less). Is that a good price?

Where do you guys get your anime from? (hope that questions allowed).

Conan said:
Amazon.co.uk and the Amazon markeplace for region 1 titles, Play.com, Otaku.co.uk(but I try to avoid these as their prices can be high, they are reliable) and ebay(but I have to be very careful).

Just a little note though. Sometimes the packages on bootlegs can look pretty damn impressive. What company does it say released your Reruni Kenshin boxset?

WTFDaveMustaine said:
It sounds like you have been buying illegal bootlegs off of ebay. FX are a bootleg group.

Well, the guy i used to get em from had his site closed down funnily enough, that was a fair while back.

What is a bootleg?.....is that just a pirate copy? If so then they are amazingly well made, and i could never have told that it was a boootleg/pirate.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Conan said:
Amazon.co.uk and the Amazon markeplace for region 1 titles, Play.com, Otaku.co.uk(but I try to avoid these as their prices can be high, they are reliable) and ebay(but I have to be very careful).

Just a little note though. Sometimes the packages on bootlegs can look pretty damn impressive. What company does it say released your Reruni Kenshin boxset?

I cant see anything in english that says who releasd it!....is this meaning i've been screwed?

I think there's a very high chance you might have been...

I do believe there is a legitimate boxset for that series which contains 6 disks though.

Is there a way i can be sure......something to look for that gives it away?

Ok, well my two sets both have 5 discs in each......so ten discs give me the 95 eps....whadya reckon?

Have a read through the link ConcreteBadger gave you. That gives some tips on spotting bootlegs.

Chinese subtitles would be one thing to look out for. Somewhere on the case that says Made in Hong Kong. Apparently that show was released by AnimeWorks so look for something on the box that says that. Here are some names of bootleg groups son May, FX and Ever Anime. Hope that helps.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Have a read through the link ConcreteBadger gave you. That gives some tips on spotting bootlegs.

No sorry, i'll do that now....got bogged down with everything else.

Thanks for the info-link Concrete. :wink:

Wow,

Thats pretty much my whole collection then. :cry:

No wander i couldnt find any info on FX then is it!!??

Thanks for your help guys.....you've really help open my eyes :shock:

best way to keep away from bootlegs is make sure its not region free.
always works for me or use sites like play.com and amazon. Tho you may notice that the prizes are alot higher for the real things.

Back