20th March UK anime releases

Red XIII

Straw Hat Pirate
This week sees another batch of anime DVDs hitting our shores, including the concluding volume of Chrono Crusade, and the first instalment of Madlax, a 'girls with guns' series from the creators of Noir.

All of this week's releases are listed below.
<ul class="menu"><b>20 March 2006</b>
<li>Burst Angel #2 (MVM)
<li>Chrono Crusade #7 (ADV)
<li>Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu! #2 (ADV)
<li>Madlax #1 (ADV)
<li>Peacemaker #4 (ADV)
<li>Salaryman Kintaro #4 (Artsmagic)</ul>Remember, you can always refer to our comprehensive schedule if you need more information on upcoming UK releases.

Just out of interest, does anyone know what happened to Cyborg 009? It was meant to be out today but isn't available anywhere, and the listing for it has vanished from play.com entirely.

I've got the first volume of Madlax sitting here. Having never seen it's sister series Noir, I haven't a clue what to expect but if what I've heard is true; slow-mo gunplay and lesbian subtext are the order of the day.

I've got the first volume of Madlax sitting here. Having never seen Noir, I haven't a clue what to expect but if what I've heard is true; slow-mo gunplay and lesbian subtext are the order of the day.

is now on my to buy list for next week :)

Paul said:
I've got the first volume of Madlax sitting here. Having never seen it's sister series Noir, I haven't a clue what to expect but if what I've heard is true; slow-mo gunplay and lesbian subtext are the order of the day.

I quite enjoyed Noir- and there wasn't actually much overt yuri at all (Two kisses over the entire 26 episodes, if I remember rightly, and the protagonists weren't the instigators either time). Plenty of subtext, but there wasn't ever anything sexual between the two main characters.

Also, I picked up Madlax today and have yet to watch it. I'll let you know my opinion on it as and when.

/S

I know Mangaminx will disagree with me but I found Noir far superior to Madlax- by volume four of the latter (as far as I've seen), the cast was quite convoluted (lots of characters yet not many of them well developed) and the story was beginning to bore me a little. Noir on the other hand was a bit of a slow starter, but the story is a lot more focussed and absorbing, especially in the second half of the series.

I seem to be one of the few people who think Madlax was better than Noir. I thought the characters in Madlax were what the Noir cast should have been. There were moments in Madlax I thought the quality dipped a little (volume 6 in particular) but overall while Noir is good I thought Madlax took what it did and did a far improved take on it.

One thing I feel when it comes to watching Madlax is to watch it not as a Noir spin off but a series by itself. It takes a different approach to things than Noir and I feel if people are looking for Noir V2 in Madlax they will be disappointed as they are different in feel despite early similarities.

I watched Madlax not expecting anything. Up to volume 2 at the moment and I found it ok but it's on the back of my list now since there's a ton of other series i'd rather check out than continue with it.

Madlax is a very exciting anime if you can cope with the slow pace and weirdness. Its similiar to Noir only in the beginning, the story slowly builds up layer by layer over the series as the characters interact and it really becomes something quite different.

What I find a little strange is that Madlax has just wrapped up in the U.S, which means a thinpack can't be too far off. So, I know it's hardly supporting the UK market, but I think I'm gonna hold out for the U.S thinpack, rather than waiting for the overpriced volumes to come out over here. As a big Noir fan and judging from the mixed reactions of people to Madlax, I think that's the best thing to do.

They did the same thing with Full Metal Panic, which makes me wonder if ADV are aware of the groups of who import because its cheaper...

Bought Madlax from a CeX on an impulse buy. Didn't think too much of it, and probably won't be getting the rest. I think I'll save my money for 2nd Gig.

Back