30th Leeds International Film Festival 2016 Anime Line-Up Revealed!

N

NormanicGrav

2016 marks the 30th year for the Leeds International Film Festival and recently they have announced a whole bunch of films that will be screened across Leeds between 3rd to 17th of November 2016. Alongside these art house and cult titles are also some anime feature films; both new and old are included!

What’s in store? Let’s find out!

Leeds-International-Film-Festival-30.jpg

On Sunday 6th November there will be an event known as Animation Day which focuses solely on animation, and for this line-up we have a couple anime films that will be screened! The day pass is £20/£25 while each individual film will be £6.50/£8.50 to book. All five films in that event will be hosted at Victoria Hall (the address is Victoria Hall, Leeds Town Hall, The Headrow, Leeds LS1 3AD).

Feel free to check out the LIFF Catalogue Guide for more information on any of the film’s available and details on the festival.

Here’s the list for Animation Day:

11:00am – Kizumonogatari Part 1 -Tekketsu- & Part 2 -Nekketsu-
Runtime: 124 minutes
Recommend Age Rating: 15
LIFF Film Page

1:45pm – Belladonna of Sadness
Runtime: 93 minutes
Recommend Age Rating: 18
LIFF Film Page

3:45pm – The Red Turtle (with Father and Daughter short film)
Runtime: 88 minutes
Recommend Age Rating: PG
LIFF Film Page

6:00pm – Psychonauts, The Forgotten Children
Runtime: 76 minutes
Recommend Age Rating: 15
LIFF Film Page

8:00pm – A Silent Voice
Runtime: 129 minutes
Recommend Age Rating: 12
LIFF Film Page

In the Animation Day line-up we have the Kizumonogatari films (Parts 1 & 2 back to back, as Part 3 is due for Japanese theaters in January 2017), the psychedelic arthouse film Belladonna of Sadness, and the latest Kyoto Animation feature film A Silent Voice (Koe no Katachi). Screening alongside these films are other animated features like the French film The Red Turtle (which was also co-produced by Studio Ghibli) and the Spanish film Psychonauts, The Forgotten Children.

There are also a couple other anime films being made available outside of the Animation Day event that are available to watch via booking individual tickets.

Friday 4th November
9:15pm – Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
Runtime: 68 minutes
Recommended Age Rating: PG
LIFF Film Page

7:00pm – Redline
Runtime: 102 minutes
Recommended Age Rating: 15
LIFF Film Page

Thursday 10th November
6:00pm – The Animatrix (double bill with The Matrix)
Runtime: ~90 minutes (9 shorts)
Recommended Age Rating: 15
LIFF Film Page

Also featured at the 30th Leeds International Film Festival are a couple live-action Japanese films including Assassination Classroom: Graduation, Creepy, Harakiri, Harmonium, Kids Police, and Woman of the Dunes.

Feel free to check out the rest of the other films screening at Leeds International Film Festival by checking out their website. Be advised that it’s recommended to book your tickets in advance if you want to see these films.

Continue reading...

Great to see another opportunity to catch Kizu. Redline on the big screen would be so epic too.

Does make me wonder what the home video plans for Red Turtle are going to be though - if that'll be a Studio Canal one.

It is indeed StudioCanal. Maybe I'll see some of you there...who am I kidding I'll be sitting silently with my brother in the corner. Sadboy.

Gosh, there's a terrific line up of films at that festival. I'd love to see On the Silver Globe on the big screen.

Okay so who's going to this tomorrow? Maybe I'll see one of you there :eek: Going to the Animation Day, Monday will be rough!

A shame, only interested in The Red Turtle and Belladonna but happy to see the rest too, as a self proclaimed connoisseur of animation if anything!

I was there. Really enjoyed Kizumonogatari in particular but The Red Turtle and Belladonna were certainly worth seeing on a big screen too. Big thanks to those who made it happen!

I was also lucky enough to see Your Name when it screened a while ago. This has been an absolutely smashing year for anime films in the UK (even if I have no money).

R

It's not anime, but did anybody see "Psychonauts, the Forgotten Children" there? I find myself rather intruiged by the artstyle and concept, but I still have no idea if I should be be raising my expectations or not.

I hope somebody picks it up for home video over here, but I have my doubts about that too. Ah well, at least Olive finally got The King of Pigs on BD for the US to satisy my non-anime animation cravings.

All I have to say about to Kizumonogatari is...what. The Red Turtle and Belladonna blew me away, Psychonauts was really interesting and A Silent Voice I fond to be mediocre.

Bad, I didn't like it at all, but my feelings was somewhat lessened by the fact that I at least had Belladonna and The Red Turtle to look forward to after the fact to cleanse my palate. If I had just watched Kizu by itself I would have jumped off of the balcony.

Bad, I didn't like it at all, but my feelings was somewhat lessened by the fact that I at least had Belladonna and The Red Turtle to look forward to after the fact the cleanse my palate. If I had just watched Kizu by itself I would have jumped off of the balcony.

To be honest, that makes it sound like you went in expecting it would be trash and make you suicidal. I'm not sure that's the best attitude to go in with.

Back