Rightstuf

Mangaranga

Za Warudo
So I'm going to be making my first order from TRSI, partially for the Accel World artbook and partially for the occasional sales/christmas sale, and I'm just looking for answers to some questions:

Do they still want card scans/ID for first orders? What sort of things have other people sent in/what did you blank out?
How long does it usually take for items to be delivered?
How likely are items from TRSI to get snagged by customs?

Any answers would be appreciated.

Well I've not used them yet but the thing that has majorly stopped me from signing up is the fact the card scan thing Is still in place (or was last I checked)

I'd expect TSRI to have a high % of customs, it's not like they are a ebay trader who can tick gift and get away with it. Though books are exempt so you'll be fine there.

Seems they still do...
"For first time orders paying via VISA, Master Card, or Discover, we require a copy of some form of ID (can be driver's license, passport, credit card statement, utility bill, etc.) that shows your address along with a photocopy of BOTH THE FRONT AND BACK side of your credit card. For security purposes, you may black out one set of digits."
- http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/custome ... /shipping/

This and the chance of customs is why I avoid Right Stuf.

reborn said:
Seems they still do...
"For first time orders paying via VISA, Master Card, or Discover, we require a copy of some form of ID (can be driver's license, passport, credit card statement, utility bill, etc.) that shows your address along with a photocopy of BOTH THE FRONT AND BACK side of your credit card. For security purposes, you may black out one set of digits."

Beat me to it, had just found that link

They offer such nice deals on most stuff, but when you factor in customs and their unreasonable £8 handling fee the savings plummet.

I find it highly questionable that they need to be so strict compared to every other website in existance

reborn said:

Same goes for me too, I really like the deals with Right Stuf (I wonder what it'll be like when it comes to Black Friday) but the whole ID thing really puts me off. To me, the best site I could have that is as good as Right Stuf is United Publications.

I do believe the reason they ask for that information is because they've had a lot of fraud before.
I'm glad to know I'm not alone in being wary about sending information like that to them, even if they are what I'd consider a trusted company.

reborn said:
Seems they still do...

I have often thought of purchasing stuff from them but like others, I don't want to risk sending a copy of my card (more so since I have had to deal with card fraud in the past). The nearest I have ever got is buying stuff from the via Amazon US since they are listed there as shawnek. Some of the stuff I have got from them have arrived in packaging either saying Right Stuf on it or with leaflets about Right Stuf included inside it.

I went through the rigmarole a couple of years ago, passport, debit card. From what I remember I blacked out more than just one set of digits. I wiped out my account number completely, and only gave them three of the four blocks of my sixteen digit code. I also wiped out the three digit code on the signature strip. They got the bank sort code, the expiry date and 3/4 of the long number and my ID page from my passport.

It's a one time only thing though. If you are worried, wait until your card is just a month shy of expiry and then sign up with Right Stuf and make your first order. They only need to know that you're a genuine human being with actual money to pay for actual stuff. Once that's done, let your card expire, update your details on the site with your new card and you're good to go. And you won't have to send a photocopy of your new card.

I know from speaking to someone before that I could blank out a set of digits, sort code/acc number and the CV2 number on the card, but did you blank anything out on your passport? Whether it be signature/your picture etc.

To be honest, with the price UP1 charges it usually totals the amount you would pay from TRSI with a customs fee on top. I also find that some items can slip through, like the regular edition of Oreimo (I guess because it was small enough to fit in a letter box). Although considering that my Madoka movie set was held by my local customs for a week, I am tempted to look at UP1 more just to avoid the actual HMRC than the cost of a charge.

In regards to the credit card thing, if I remember correctly, I blacked out things so that only my name was visible, with the only information coming from my bank statement.

Since then, I've changed my card anyway due to cards expiring and such. They're fine with other cards added after that.

Mangaranga said:
I know from speaking to someone before that I could blank out a set of digits, sort code/acc number and the CV2 number on the card, but did you blank anything out on your passport? Whether it be signature/your picture etc.

It's been a few years and I can't really recall. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't blank out the passport code number. I would leave the signature as that is probably what they match with the signature on the back of the debit card, and I'd leave the photo as proof that you are human.

I'm literally only signing up to order Accel World from them as it comes with a nice Artbook. Ideally I'd order it from UP1 but I want that book :3
I had hoped that Anime Limited would get Accel World for the UK since then there's a chance we'd get the artbook, but no news... heck, since it's a Viz title it could be a Kaze license, and that would be absolutely horrible.

Thanks for the replies too guys.

I used to buy from there all the time for a couple of years, as they used to drop ship into Germany, and avoid customs charges. I remember getting some pretty big boxes of anime, making a wodge load of savings when they were clearing out old ADV bundles.

Last year though they stopped drop shipping and started sending stuff direct, and my first package got whacked with customs, just a couple of quid over. Only used them once since then, That was actually more expensive but it snuck through.

If you really are concerned, then just sign up, make the order, and as soon as the package arrives and you check that it's in working order, phone up your bank and cancel the card.

Just Passing Through said:
I used to buy from there all the time for a couple of years, as they used to drop ship into Germany, and avoid customs charges. I remember getting some pretty big boxes of anime, making a wodge load of savings when they were clearing out old ADV bundles.

Last year though they stopped drop shipping and started sending stuff direct, and my first package got whacked with customs, just a couple of quid over. Only used them once since then, That was actually more expensive but it snuck through.
TRSI has always shipped direct and never drop shipped into another country.

They always dropped the value of the goods to 5$ each, but customs started to get suspicious so they started declaring the correct values on the customs forms.

Any kind of printed material (that includes manga) is tax exempt and shouldn't have any charges placed on them.

I took the plunge once and I was never asked for proof of ID. I gave my card details and that was it. The customs issue is as stated (pricey), but a bulk order of less than £100 (note the exchange) will incur no extra custom or vat.

cudwieser said:
I took the plunge once and I was never asked for proof of ID. I gave my card details and that was it. The customs issue is as stated (pricey), but a bulk order of less than £100 (note the exchange) will incur no extra custom or vat.

Unless caught by customs who will charge you VAT (£15 limit bar books), plus the royal mail £8 fee.

Bulk order, as long as it's under the import tax allowance, you probably will be hit with VAT, but it will only be one £8 fee.

I've used them for years and never had any problems. I think the first time was long enough ago that I had to do something silly like fax a scan of my card. I've had to do it again more recently for some reason.
A couple of times I made some large orders due to huge discounts in the 12 days of Christmas sale. Otherwise I'd usually go for something local like otaku.co.uk. Been a loooong time since I've done any importing (I can't afford many UK releases, let alone imports).

I suppose I'll delay sending them any info for now.
I sent the guys at UP1 an email last week asking if they could get the artbook. I got a reply today, and they said that they've spoken To Rightstuf and that they are going to send a batch of stock with the artbook for pre-order customers.
Around £10-15 cheaper than importing, so I'm happy.

Mangaranga said:
I suppose I'll delay sending them any info for now.
I sent the guys at UP1 an email last week asking if they could get the artbook. I got a reply today, and they said that they've spoken To Rightstuf and that they are going to send a batch of stock with the artbook for pre-order customers.
Around £10-15 cheaper than importing, so I'm happy.

Nice, given I pre-ordered it from UP1 a few days ago :)

Yeah it is, and they even said it doesn't matter which site you order from so long as you pre-order, and ordering from the US site happens to be almost £5 cheaper than the UK one.

Back