Animax launching in UK this Autumn, will be at MCM Comic Con

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
For many years now, fans of Japanese anime in the United Kingdom have hoped that the dedicated anime satellite channel Animax, which has been broadcasting in Asia and mainland Europe for some years now, would arrive in the UK. Despite these hopes though, many of the hoping fans would have considered such an idea foolish or hopeless considering the short life of&nbsp;<em style="line-height:1.6em">Anime Central</em>. However, things are set to change, sort of.

Today, Animax have revealed that they will be launching in the United Kingdom this Autumn as a video on demand service, offering content such as&nbsp;<em>Bleach</em>,&nbsp;<em>Black Lagoon</em>,&nbsp;<em>Death Note</em>&nbsp;and&nbsp;<em>Vampire Knight</em>. Furthermore, they will also have a booth at MCM London Comic Con later this month, which they promise&nbsp;will be packed with activities and potential prizes, as well as a preview of the channel!

Let us know your your thoughts on this upcoming launch!

Re: Animax launching in UK this Autumn, will be at MCM Comic

I can guess Sony was involved with this after mentioning the name on their Anime Night. I would like to know how well the films are doing on that channel, it may have contributed to this.

EDIT:

Did some extra research, it's an On Demand service with exclusive rights to Viz Media titles so I'd expect the likes of Accel World, Coppelion and Magi to appear on there.

It's just another streaming service, further diluting the subscription pool. And Bleach and Naruto on Crunchyroll are suddenly geolocked! Actually, since they are all Viz properties, I guess we can finally say that Anime on Delay is dead!

My thoughts are; WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG!!!1!111!111!!!!
Oh Yeah, I know what took you so long. WELL IT TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH! :lol:
Anime Central didn't have a multi-national corporation behind it, so it basically was doomed from birth anyway. :wink:

We had that channel in Portugal at least 3 years ago in a specific tv provider company but since didnt had that much viewers it was taken down. :(

So i'm guessing this means Kaze (Viz) are switching from AoD to this...

Might give it ago depending on availability.

Just Passing Through said:
It's just another streaming service, further diluting the subscription pool. And Bleach and Naruto on Crunchyroll are suddenly geolocked!

They are both working fine for me?

source

Dear Brits

I just came out of a meeting featuring 37 British anime moguls that is to change the current face of anime in the UK in the next 3 years. This meeting featured members of BSkyB, Manga Entertainment, Kaze UK, MVM Films, Crunchyroll, Toei Animation, BBFC and

soon to be announced British branch of Aniplex.

Now I come baring news of what is to change here in the UK for anime fans.

-A new Japanese media channel
This channel is going to be under the "Entertainment" section of Sky TV. The channel number is yet to be decided. This channel will feature anime from almost all anime distributors in the UK. This includes old titles, new titles and simulcast titles. The channel is going to feature a Red Button audio setting so that you can watch anime in English or in Japanese with English subtitles. This channel will also feature some live action television shows and films from Japan including popular J-drama and Tokutatsu. There will also be an internet on demand service.

-A British based dubbing studio
Given the acclaim created by the British English language version of The Borrower Arrietty, a London based English language dubbing studio is to be opened and this will provide us in the UK with British dubbed anime as apposed to American dubbed anime courtesy studios like Funimation, Sentai Filmworks and Media Blasters. This soon to be established studio will also act as a voice acting school to bring in many British voice actors.
Exclusive UK film releases
We are hoping to bring many new film releases to the British public. It is currently unannounced how quick we will be able to screen said movie but we are aiming to get the films over here in the UK within a month af the Japanese release.

-Anime titles
This is the confirmed list of anime titles that we have pen permitted to brodcastt as of March 27, 2013.

Dragonball, Eureka Seven, Madoka Magica, Heaven's Memo Pad, Ghost in the Shell, anime of the Macross and Robotech franchise, Noein, Dream Eater Merry, One Piece, Kamen Rider Fourze, Nura - Rise of the Youkai Clan, Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 and Zeta Gundam, Sword Art Online, Bakuman, Angel Beats, Black ☆ Rock Shooter, K-On!, Sengoku Basara, XXXholic, Code Geass, Blue Exorcist, Oreimo, Tenchi Muyo, Cyber City Odeo 808, Redline, Nodame Cantabile, Trigun, Needless Fragments, Strike Witches, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Buso Renkin, Casshern Sins, Aim for the Ace, Akira, Fate Stay Night and Fate Zero, Persona 4: The Animation, Future Diary, Digimon, Powerpuff Girls Z and anime of the Pretty Cure franchise (Pretty Cure, Pretty Cure Max Heart, Fresh Pretty Cure and Heartcatch Precure)

We have another meeting on the 5th of April regarding a possible new manga distributor in the UK.

I hope you look forward to our new anime future in the UK.

I wonder if international viewing figures for the channel week be enough leverage to get it on cable as well :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryo Chan said:
SnowWolf said:
Animax did their own English dubs for Inuyasha, Gurren Lagann, Cardcaptor Sakura and many others. I wonder if those are the dubs Animax UK will be showing?

CCS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO10Z68CLzw

Inuyasha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tab9H9wsK30

Ranma 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrQ0C0xOj-8

everyone knows the only CCS dub that should exist is

Dat Theme Song :D

True, I love that dub and it was one of my first anime. However the Animax dub is uncut so could be used for a bilingual release. Even though the voice acting is worse then the Cardcaptors dub. To be honest I'd want to own both, I love the series so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

The site launches on Friday

£5.99 a month for Video on Demand and catalogue titles.

It looks like their will be free streams too, mostly new season titles. There's a two week all access period.

New shows this season are Copellion and Magi Season 2

Under the SVoD service, for a monthly fee of £5.99, subscribers can expect to indulge in complete seasons of the world's most loved anime, including BLACK LAGOON, DEATH NOTE, and VAMPIRE KNIGHT, in addition to exclusive popular films such as BLEACH and BERSERK only the touch of a button away.

The channel will welcome free titles throughout the autumn with the likes of MAGI: THE LABYRINTH OF MAGIC Season 2 and COPPELION set to appear, and in the future will look to stream original programming from Sony Pictures Television's ANIMAX channel in Japan, and host exclusive behind the scenes interviews and content from the wide world of anime.

The service is launching with a 2 week all-access free trial, showcasing some of the channels most reputable anime content, and is planned to expand onto Playstation in the coming months, to become the exclusive anime VOD service provider on PS3.

The website goes live in time for this year's MCM London Comic-Con, and ANIMAX will have a significant presence at Europe's largest convention, taking place from Friday 25th – Sunday 27th October. Operating from Booth 96 the channel will host exclusive anime screenings each and every day, offer fans the chance to take special 3D photographs or have their portrait done by on-site anime artists, and be the site of a live large-scale drawing by award-winning manga artist Siku.

Convention-goers will have the opportunity to discover the ANIMAX content first hand and for those that activate their 2 week free trial during the convention weekend will be able to register to win Siku's finished work of art or a 50 inch Sony TV.

Just had a look at the site, it's pretty much like Crunchyroll but instead the cost is £1 higher (not a problem but I wished if it were £4.99 based on the content at this moment).

Screenshot of Animax front page:

Animax.png

Looks like every time Viz picks up a license that won't be available to stream on Crunchyroll, it'll arrive on Animax! (Sees Love.. & Other Delusions and Beyond the Boundary as good examples).

Looks nice, though Coppelion doesn't seem to want to play (checked all 3 episodes) - 'This content is unavailable'.

Back