Nintendo to release 3DS XL next month

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
This morning at 5am, Nintendo streamed a new Nintendo Direct segment. The biggest announcement from this (and the only new title from it), was the Nintendo 3DS XL - which will be released in Europe on 28th July.

3dsxl2.jpg

The top screen is 4.88 inches wide, while the bottom is 4.18 inches. The battery life has also been improved, increasing the 3DS game play time from the original 3.5-6.5 hours for 3DS game playback (compared to the 3DS' 3-5), while DS game playback can be 6-10 hours (compared to 5-8). Despite the huge difference in screen size, the console itself only has a 46% increase in size when compared to the 3DS.

The console will not include a charger or charging cradle. This decision was explained my Nintendo of Europe head Satoru Shibata as being to help cut the price for consumers (A European price has yet to be announced, but it will cost 18900 in Japan, which is just over £150). The game will be bundled with 4GB SD card instead of the usual 2GB one though.

Yeah...needless to say people are facepalming at Nintendo for announcing it.

Also, the next Smash Bros. game (Wii U/3DS) will be co-developed by Namco Bandai.

Mutsumi said:
Why are people face palming? Also, why no built-in second circle pad?

Question asked, question answered =P

Not to mention the lack of a charger to keep costs down is stupid. Ok, it's fine for those with a 3DS, but most people who will buy the upgrade will be new and need to buy one anyway. I think the overwhelming response is "why?." The bigger screen is nice, but it will also make the console more unwieldy. I find the Ds lite awkward enough to hold when using the buttons and touchscreen for long periods, so a behemoth of that size...

The charger and cradle will be able to purchased separately.

But yeah, the lack of a built in Circle Pad Pro is stupid.

Can it at least charge off an original DS power supply or USB or something, or is the separate charger basically mandatory for everyone other than the people who buy and keep every Nintendo hardware revision for unknown reasons?

I'll keep holding out; while it's inevitable that I'll own a 3DS at some point this doesn't seem to be the revision which breaks me.

R

it's kind of obvious why people are facepalming at this, since this should have been included in the E3 press conference. It would have given them a good boost at least. However, why the heck would they not incorporate the CPP into this? Not only that, but by looking at it, it's going to have to get a special type of CPP built for it. At the moment, the only thing it has going is a bigger battery and screen, nothing more.

Nintendo i think are going to need to do something to make people say "oh hey, i really want this", and that i think would be putting the CPP on it. It'd make sense.

Rui said:
Can it at least charge off an original DS power supply or USB or something, or is the separate charger basically mandatory for everyone other than the people who buy and keep every Nintendo hardware revision for unknown reasons?

I'll keep holding out; while it's inevitable that I'll own a 3DS at some point this doesn't seem to be the revision which breaks me.

R
It uses the same charger that the DSi, DSi XL and 3DS consoles use. So you'll either have to use one you own from one of those, or buy one.

Arbalest said:
it's kind of obvious why people are facepalming at this, since this should have been included in the E3 press conference. It would have given them a good boost at least. However, why the heck would they not incorporate the CPP into this? Not only that, but by looking at it, it's going to have to get a special type of CPP built for it. At the moment, the only thing it has going is a bigger battery and screen, nothing more.

Nintendo i think are going to need to do something to make people say "oh hey, i really want this", and that i think would be putting the CPP on it. It'd make sense.
And even then, the battery power increase isn't that much.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Mutsumi said:
Why are people face palming? Also, why no built-in second circle pad?

Question asked, question answered =P
Joshawott said:
But yeah, the lack of a built in Circle Pad Pro is stupid.
Arbalest said:

Why are people asking for a second thumbpad? That would make newer games that use it not work on the old 3DS and alienate people that bought earlier versions of the 3DS. Yes, I am aware of the CPP, but that is an optional attachment.

Besides, it's easier for developers to make games with a good camera that doesn't require a a second thumbpad.

@MaxonTreik Nothing says that a game developer has to use all of what the console has. For example, not every game uses every button or every feature anyway. Although, just watch Nintendo release the "Circle Pad Pro XL" which will cost about a bajillion yen.

Also, Nintendo Europe are charging £180 for this....yeah, feck off Nintendo.

Joshawott said:
@MaxonTreik Nothing says that a game developer has to use all of what the console has. For example, not every game uses every button or every feature anyway. Although, just watch Nintendo release the "Circle Pad Pro XL" which will cost about a bajillion yen.
You're missing the point.

I'm talking about games that developers want to make work with two thumbpads. Customers who don't have or want a CPP are **** out of luck. That is why I am saying good camera controls that are contextual would be a better idea.

Ocarina of Time 3D manages just fine without a second thumbpad, and that is a remake of game that was released 15 years ago, so developers saying camera controls are hard and need a second thumbpad are just making excuses.

Lawrence said:
MaxonTreik said:
Besides, it's easier for developers to make games with a good camera that doesn't require a a second thumbpad.

Eh, I believe the whole reason for the inclusion of a second stick and the creation of the CCP was because certain vocal members of Capcom weren't too pleased about the lack of one during the development of Monster Hunter Tri for the 3DS.

Either way, I'd be thankful for a second thumb pad, have you tried playing Monster Hunter on the PSP? Christ it wears your fingers down after a while.
Capcom can go stick an iron rod up their arses for all I care. They of all people shouldn't be telling others what they're doing wrong.

Back