Eureka Seven Gets TV Anime Sequel

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!
A manga sequel to Eureka Seven named Eureka Seven: AO (Astral Ocean) will launch in Shōnen Ace magazine on the 26th of January with Yūichi Katō drawing.

Eureka 7 AO by Mercury Rex, on Flickr
The story revolves around a boy named Ao who “sets destiny in motion again when he holds the ‘power’”

In addition an announcement made on Japanese TV channel MBS signalled that there will be a television sequel to the manga which will air in April 2012 with studio BONES returning to animate it.

Eureka Seven originally aired from 2005 to 2006 and followed a 14-year-old named Renton Thurston the son of a legendary hero who lives a monotonous life of school and toiling away at his grandfather’s garage. His feelings of frustration are only assuaged when he masters an extreme version of hoverboarding but he soon finds something else to brighten his days when a mecha named Nirvash crashes into his life and a beautiful girl named Eureka emerges and tasks him with repairs. Renton is smitten and by helping her he begins to shape the course of his destiny.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CvQyJKBfLro?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CvQyJKBfLro?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Thanks go out to Reeveofthemusefan for spotting the news.

<a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2011-12-22/eureka-seven-ao-gets-tv-anime-in-april-2012">Source</a>

animefreak17 said:
this is another retelling of the story isn't it, why its been done in a movie. the ending to the series tells me its unnecessary to make a sequel.

There is going to be a manga sequel named Astral Ocean then an anime sequel to the manga. It's too early to say how close this will be to the original Eureka Seven because plot details are light on the ground right now.

I'll be proceeding with caution, I think.

Eureka 7's original manga is unbelievably depressing, to the point where it seems almost miraculous the existing TV show is so upbeat.

Also - it can't be said enough - the Eureka 7 movie is pretty bad.

I can't help but think that there's something of a winning formula about the TV show that won't stand up too well to being tinkered with. Hopefully the new material will go in its own direction.

HdE said:
Eureka 7's original manga is unbelievably depressing, to the point where it seems almost miraculous the existing TV show is so upbeat.
The manga came after the anime, so I'd expect the tone of the new TV series to be close to that of the first series.

Hopefully the new lead character is less whiny than Renton, and isn't voiced by JYB in the dub (should one be produced). Oh, and can we have an ending that makes sense plz. And no annoying kids.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Oh, and can we have an ending that makes sense plz. And no annoying kids.
The ending is quite straightforward: the children incur a comeuppance more comfortable than perhaps they deserve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corra said:
I love the TV series so much I am scared to watch the film in case it makes me hate on the show.

You'll find my thoughts on the movie in AUKN's review database. It's a purty looking thing, to be sure, but after a promising and intriguing start, it quickly devolves into a mess.

It's like Eureka 7 from an evil, parallel dimension!

A parallel dimension where anime fans everywhere ALL own a copy of Odin, and sing its praises on web forums constantly. Where Golgo 13 is the most compelling, thought provoking animated drama in history. Where Steve Blum has never voiced anime.

Back