Crunchyroll: HTML5 Coming This September

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
For a very long time now Crunchyroll is notorious for using the Adobe Flash Player to showcase their anime on the service. The player is discontinuing in 2020 and the player itself is completely broken and non-functional in various places.

Then suddenly a very small percentage of users have noticed they already have HTML5 included on their account, but this turned out to be some form of beta test. Crunchyroll have just announced that everyone else will be getting HTML5 starting 28th August for a batch of users followed by throughout September for the rest.

HTML5 essentially improves the playback and buffering so you won't have issues with the player stuttering or being forced to reload the page just to try and continue to a certain part of the episode.

They also explained the whole Crunchyroll Originals stuff, so you can find the whole thing here.

A small percentage of users will have noticed they already have HTML5 included on their account, but Crunchyroll have just announced that everyone else will be getting HTML5 starting 28th August for a batch of users followed by throughout September for the rest.

They also explained the whole Crunchyroll Originals stuff, so you can find the whole thing here.
For me it felt like they were giving a little bit of reward to all the moaners they shouldn’t have a released a statement anyway. It’s fine they were always gonna give money to Japan still people who didn’t think they did were stupid imo. And I won’t start on the SJW argument as if letting the creator of a product pick their own writing staff is SJW damn

I've been using the unofficial HTML5 plugin for a few months now, and it's mostly solved my issues with the player not loading/choppy playback. Hopefully their 'Official' player will be much the same.

As for their originals, I really don't mind, they don't seem to be aimed at me, but so long as someone enjoys them then there's value in them. If it gets to the point that they're being favoured over stuff I want to watch, I'll just find some other way to watch what I want.

Finally. I haven't got it yet but good to hear they are finally dumping Flash. Should get rid of at least one problem when viewing stuff on there.

If it's anything to go by, i've been using it over the last 2 weeks now and really like it. It's smooth at loading videos, a lot less messy and better to look at. The main gripe i have of the version i've been using is that it no longer gives you the options to remove subtitles, so for those who enjoy taking screenshots of ridiculous reactions and such, it's not as welcoming as the Flash player was.
Still, a step in the right direction and hopefully gets the a bit more positivity in the community as well. Everyone is quick to burn Crunchyroll nowadays, that they don't stop to look at the good news they have as well.

That is a joke as its best feature was changeable subs.
I know some Germans who prefer to watch some anime with english subs like they wont get that now. Its not as good as a upgrade as I want now im testing it on a old anime Bleach I have assume they wont work as many eps already broke on me

I know some Germans who prefer to watch some anime with english subs like they wont get that now. Its not as good as a upgrade as I want now im testing it on a old anime Bleach I have assume they wont work as many eps already broke on me

So they can change the subs to english easily enough, though it's not something you do in the video now. You have to do so through your preferences instead. Unfortunately the preferences option doesn't give you a choice to pick japanese or otherwise, so you can't remove the subs, which i think needs to be re-added back in. But at the very least, you can still get the right subs you want.

Does the official HTML5 player work with US-only titles using CRUnblocker? Or is it like the unofficial one and just gives an error?

Back