MVM Licence Ef: Tale of Melodies and Memories

An interesting license of an exceptionally gorgeous-looking Shaft series that really warrants a Blu-ray release. So I'm passing. Eventually I'll get around to playing the first half of the original eroge (from which Tales of Memories is adapted) I bought from MangaGamer last year.

fabricatedlunatic said:
An interesting license of an exceptionally gorgeous-looking Shaft series that really warrants a Blu-ray release
^This

I want this show quite a bit and have done for quite a while, but no BD is a massive deal breaker for me and I won't be buying the UK release. I'll get it from Sentai eventually...

Blu-ray.com cites the Region A blu-rays for these titles as having "stunningly beautiful video", so I'll be passing on the dvd's as well.

Maybe I'll get lucky and Rightstuf will have them as part of their "12 Days of Christmas" deals this year. Or I can wait for their next Sentai promotion.

Wow, real support for the UK market here, I'm sure MVM appriciate the effort they went into licensing this show only for you all to just pass it over. Just because it's on DVD only here does not mean it's not worth getting. Besides I thought Sentai BD releases were 1080i and people here avoid them like the plague

I really shouldn't be doing this but that chip on your shoulder has become too bothersome to ignore.

Invisible Crane said:
Wow, real support for the UK market here
To be perfectly honest the UK market could disappear tomorrow and I'd barely notice.

I'm sure MVM appriciate the effort they went into licensing this show only for you all to just pass it over.
Why should people be obliged to purchase something they don't want? I don't remember MVM asking me whether I wanted Ef on DVD. I would've told them no.

Just because it's on DVD only here does not mean it's not worth getting.
It does to me. How's this for a radical idea: you buy what you want, and let everyone else buy what they want.

Btw, the Sentai Blu-rays are not 1080i.

Okay maybe I was too harsh. It's just and I said this before a while back all I ever see is "UK company licenses this show", then I see "people here brush it off because it's not on BD".

Don't get me wrong I'd love to convert fully over to BD at some point (need a multi region BD player though) but right now I'm still like 80% DVD, 20% BD

Besides the prices of some BD releases are well...really bad. For example Samurai Girls on BD is almost £40 when I got the DVD for way cheaper.

Quotes are being screwy again, so I'll do it this way.

-"Okay maybe I was too harsh. It's just and I said this before a while back all I ever see is "UK company licenses this show", then I see "people here brush it off because it's not on BD"

I only buy BD. When there is a BD release elsewhere and we get a bog standard PAL converted DVD I'm not going to go anywhere near it. I avoid PAL DVDs like the plague anyway.
BD > NTSC DVD >> PAL DVD

-"Besides the prices of some BD releases are well...really bad. For example Samurai Girls on BD is almost £40 when I got the DVD for way cheaper..."

The Samurai Girls Bluray was also god awful. I would say it was just a bad first release for Kaze, but it's an accurate representation of what their releases are like.

-"Besides I thought Sentai BD releases were 1080i and people here avoid them like the plague"

A majority of their releases starting this year are 1080i. The only affected release before 2013 to my knowledge was Yumekui Merry.

After all I've said, I can probably see why MVM have gone DVD only with this release though - Anything which isn't generic Shonen show XX doesn't sell well. Being the type of show it is I doubt that the UK audience will be jumping over it either. Ask Jerome about the sales of Clannad - okay, maybe they were 3/4 years too late with that one, but I doubt these two will do much better.

"We'll be releasing both series on DVD (no Blu Ray for this one) seperately, with 2 discs to each set."

Yay for the license, Nay for DVD only. Seems I have to go with Sentai US release again -_-

Invisible Crane said:
Wow, real support for the UK market here, I'm sure MVM appriciate the effort they went into licensing this show only for you all to just pass it over. Just because it's on DVD only here does not mean it's not worth getting. Besides I thought Sentai BD releases were 1080i and people here avoid them like the plague

I empathise with you on this one.

Unfortunately you've got to remember that the fans here are a little more hardcore than most, they want the best they can get for their coin. Although it bugs me that they do, who can blame them? Why settle for second best when there is a superior product out there?

I personally don't see the point of anime series on Blu-Ray, it's far more expensive and I can barely notice the change in quality.

As for the two licenses? What are the shows about? Are even worth getting?

Invisible Crane said:
Don't get me wrong I'd love to convert fully over to BD at some point (need a multi region BD player though) but right now I'm still like 80% DVD, 20% BD
I still buy DVD myself. In fact my last three anime purchases were on DVD (Mad Bull, Aoi Hana, Hyakko). But if there's a superior alternative, I'd choose that over something that's been downscaled from its original TV broadcast.

I'm surprised that some people don't notice much of a difference between SD and HD anime. My reaction to watching a DVD after a few years of mostly watching Blu-ray is a little something like this.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Invisible Crane said:
I'm surprised that some people don't notice much of a difference between SD and HD anime. My reaction to watching a DVD after a few years of mostly watching Blu-ray is a little something like this.

Of course it has big differences but its not enough having just a bd player and a lcd or led or plasma or whatever, If the sceen is not big enough people might not see the diference of course because 22 screen cant show the same as a 40 screen. I've experienced this and i can say that even dvds, look far better in this tv now because its Led, its connected now with hdmi to the dvd too and i've changed some options so it could get a better image and its amazing the way its now and im only using dvd.

So if a person has a small screen with a dvd and not even an hdmi cable, they can never see the diference. I dont have a db player yet but just because i feel its not worth it yet and i feel happy at the moment the way I see things now. But i dont buy that much new shows so Im ok with that part too, my favourite shows are from 3/4 years ago backwards in general so i rewatch on my dvd just stuff I've seen before. New stuff I "rent" from internet lol

But come ppl, theres a big difference in sd and hd. I used to watch tv rips long time ago 640x480 and today i watch hdrips (new tvrips lets say) with 1280x720 or sometimes 1920x1080 so dont tell that aint no difference. :D

I can see where you are coming from bakum4tsu, I use an upscaling DVD player with HDMI connection to my 32" 720p LCD and DVDs do look impressive, so I don't mind buying DVD only releases. However there is still a noticeable difference when watching a BluRay on my PS3 so I always try to buy BD versions when they are released in the UK and view them as a kind of premium-edition release that I'll get if it's readily available. Maybe when I eventually upgrade to a 1080p tv BDs might become essential to me as they are to some people, but here and now I have no real problem with using DVDs.

Back