Pokémon The Movie 2018 Teased For July Japanese Release

J

Josh A. Stevens

In a break from usual franchise convention, this year’s theatrical instalment of the Pokémon anime series split from the continuity of the currently airing series and went back to the very beginning – telling an alternate reality retelling of Ash’s first meeting with Pikachu, in celebration of the series’ 20th anniversary. Since then, fans have been wondering about the direction next year’s movie will take. Thanks to a teaser trailer aired as part of Japan’s Oha Suta variety show, we now have our first look at the brand new film:

(Twitter upload in case above YouTube upload is taken down)

Tentatively titled Pokémon The Movie 2018, the film appears to be a continuation of the new reality introduced in I Choose You and will be released in Japanese cinemas on 13th July 2018. Animation production will be handled by franchise regular OLM alongside WIT Studio (The Ancient Magus’ Bride, Attack On Titan).

The franchise’s usual timeline suggests that our next big news update on the title will be in February 2018, where we may learn its full official title and the film’s poster Pokémon. Of course, you’ll find all the latest news here as and when it happens!

Source: BulbaNewsNow

Continue reading...

I do honestly wonder if they can't get the SuMo animation style to work for a Feature Film and that's why they went with a style closer to XY. I was thinking they may not have had time to work to the bigger cinematic style has doing the reboot in a safer fashion before committing to the SuMo style for the 21st film, but seemingly not.

(I admit, I'm still not sold on the more animated/comedic style of SuMo)

That all being said, as long as it doesn't have
Talking Pikachu
it can't be worse than I Choose You... surely.

I'm game for a 2nd continuity (each movie going through the different regions) via movies. Part of me wonder if they're gonna shove a Gen 7 Legend/Mythical in the film again. If so I guess it'll be Zeraora.

Back