MyAnimeList Requiring Password Resets

Deep joy. I have to rejoin as the email my account is connected to is no longer active (completely forgot to change it when fsmail was closed down) and now i can't get into my MAL account.

Interesting to note that MAL has now been down for days due to "undergoing extensive server maintenance" whatever that means and other list sites (like AniList and Kitsu) will be gaining lots of new users. I've looked at some of these other sites in the past but have always ended up gravitating back towards MAL. Anyone else use these different sites?

Interesting to note that MAL has now been down for days due to "undergoing extensive server maintenance" whatever that means and other list sites (like AniList and Kitsu) will be gaining lots of new users. I've looked at some of these other sites in the past but have always ended up gravitating back towards MAL. Anyone else use these different sites?
I have Kitsu (which used to be called Hummingbird).

What are the differences like between that and MaL?
Not much, basically as similar concepts and it's rating system is out of 5 stars rather than out of 10. You can also add other types of stuff like Thunderbolt Fantasy and anime-inspired titles as well.

I've always used Anime Planet and beyond some oddities with light novel entries (they don't have a counter for volumes if the series is a web novel as well, so I can't keep some of my counts accurate for certain series >_>), they've always proven really good. I know some people dislike the fact they don't have an app but the site is mobile friendly, so I've never had much issue updating on my phone. They always try and use the English names for series where they can as well which I like.

Apologies for not keeping the article as up-to-date as it should be – been away from the internet all weekend and that looks to continue until late tonight. I’ll try to update as soon as I can with anything new.

Anime-Planet is the best tracker around for discovering new shows and having a nice clean look. The only reason I ever went to MAL was because thats where everyone seemed to be. I've kept my AP account of 10+ years upto date while also using MAL. Unfortunately unless a large majority of my friends decided to migrate to AP I will continue to just use both sites. AP while not being as open as MAL is a much better site to use for probably a huge amount of MAL users who just don't know any better.

*Though it must be said I have clashed occasionally with the MODs and owner of AP especially on the subject of stuff like Starblazers and Robotech etc. Their whole approach to these shows is a complete an utter **** show with no coherent guidelines or anything. I've brought it up with plenty of examples of how much of a mess they are making of it and everytime I get shot down by a reason that makes no sense. It frustrates me to no end even now haha. This experience actually was another factor in why I went to MAL as well, because despite helping to fill out the Database and clean up the odd mistakes within it when it came to bringing all that stuff up I just felt like I was being ignored in a really demeaning way. I probably took larger offence to it though because of how much the likes of Robotech and Starblazers bugs the living **** out of me lol.

Last edited:
I can't be bothered setting up a new account on a different site and entering 400+ shows it's far too much hassle. I'll just wait for it to come back up.

Both Kitsu and AP have a lot of missing shows, so having an anime tracker w/out being able to track anime... yeh thats worth it

Also, Its maybe not the most professional thing when a site wants to compete against MAL has "Source: MAL" over most of their pages

Surprised to see that i actually had AP account. Looked way different back in the day. Didn't really recognize the name of the site because i think it's something that i used for a little while until i moved to mal.

Both Kitsu and AP have a lot of missing shows, so having an anime tracker w/out being able to track anime... yeh thats worth it

The nice thing about AP at least is that they will add stuff if you post in the correct forum for it (which I believe they clearly link to if a search turns up nothing), whereas I know MAL is really difficult to get things added or edited.

Also, Its maybe not the most professional thing when a site wants to compete against MAL has "Source: MAL" over most of their pages

They have everything that 99% of anime fans need in the database. For the few things that are missing it is easy to get that stuff filled in through the forum. I've helped get a ton of stuff into the database over the years.

But Anime-Planet has a far better search engine than MAL, you can narrow down some really interesting searches on there because of the tag system and the versatility of the search engine. It also had the CR etc streaming stuff integrated before MAL did.

They posted this on their Facebook:

Dear Users,

The current maintenance period is a result of discovering a point in our security system that merited looking into further for any potential issues. Thus far, we have not found anything significant, but in the best interest of our users, and in an overabundance of caution, the maintenance period will continue until we have concluded our review. Having said that, we hope to have this matter resolved quickly, and will keep you apprised of when the site will be back online via MAL’s official site and social media accounts. We regret any inconveniences caused, and thank you for your patience and understanding.

How to Contact Us:

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact our Customer Service team (rather than the MAL moderation team).

Support - MyAnimeList.net

Sincerely,
The MyAnimeList Development Team

They posted the same thing to Twitter, and also updated the site's message with it. We've updated the article accordingly, and I'll tweak it to include that they posted on Facebook (I hadn't checked myself – thanks for pointing it out!)

Back