Your best & worst of the Spring season

crashmatt

Death Scythe
It's that time again folks, the end of the summer season is on the horizon so what did you rate and what did you hate? I've not included split cour shows as they are only half way through

Best
Attack on Titan - though it has its flaws it still massively entertaining
Grimore of Zero - Bit of a gem this one defiantly has a Spice & Wolf Vibe
Granblue Fantasy - Takes me back to when I first started playing JRPG's

Worst
Armed girls Machiavellianism - The set up is ridiculous and borderline offensive as is the poor animation. (You can do better Silver Link!)
Sakura Quest - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (dropped)
Clockwork Planet - horrible character designs, terrible animation and a nonsense story line

Re.Creators and Rage of Bahamut would be top if the were only single cour. I also enjoyed Eromanga and Saekano.

Best
Attack on Titan Season 2 - This follow up has been pretty damn spectacular, with some awesome and jaw dropping moments throughout. Action and animation has been on point and the reveals keep me hooked. Damn good stuff, and I hope the wait for Season 3 is short.

My Hero Academia Season 2 - I really enjoyed Season 1 and this has been even better. The whole competition set up as been a very satisfying direction for me, as I love seeing all the heroes we know go up against each other and use their powers in creative ways. It's also been a good season character wise too, especially for Todoroki and Uraraka.

Alice and Zoroku - Pretty sad that I don't really see anyone else discuss this anywhere, if this forum is anything to go by anyway. This show manages to be this weirdly perfect mix of sci-fi action and adorable slice of life show that doesn't seem like it'd work at all but manages to pull it off flawlessly. Definitely give me the good ol' warm fuzzies.

Worst
Clockwork Planet - The first of two shows that got dropped this season, this series was just a bunch of poorly animated nonsense. The idea was kind of interesting but the execution was horrendous. I only lasted about 3 episodes, so maybe it got better, but for me, that was more than enough.

Granblue Fantasy - Also dropped this one, it was pretty much the blandest, most generic fantasy show ever, with just no substance at all. It looked pretty, but that's it.

Sakura Quest - I haven't dropped this one, but I can't say I exactly anticipate watching it either. It's just kinda boring. Not bad per say, but it really struggles to hold my attention most weeks, if I'm honest.

Best

Saekano s2 - Just better than the amazing s1, most drama more development and more stellar A1 animation

Re:Creators- Should have guessed a Aoi show would be great

Natsume s6 - Just heartwarming every week.

Worst

Clockwork Planet - Dropped after ep 1 well the finger sucking such hope fizzled out so fast

Sakura Quest - Zzzz

Attack on titan s2 - I adored how it adapted the first half of this arc but then the retrieval part has been badly done the flashbacks are slow are ruin story events and I cant care for Ymir.

Best

My Hero Academia Season 2: I enjoyed last season but I'm so surprised by how much I'm loving this one, I wasn't hugely excited for it at all before it aired, but now I look forward to Saturdays the most. I find all the characters fun and likeable, the fights are well animated and somehow it's just so tense every episode.

Little Witch Academia: Basically my dream anime, I adore the two OVA's, and although I hate to admit I'm a tiny bit disappointed with the TV series, I still really love it.

Re:Creators: Didn't even start watching this until episode 6 had aired, completely took me by surprise, the animation is much better than I thought it would be (also love the backgrounds and sound effects) and all the characters are fun. Excited to see what direction it takes,

Mediocre

Grimoire of Zero: Along with Little Witch Academia this was the other series I was looking forward too, I absolutely loved the first two episodes, however I've found the rest of the series to be a bit dull, not bad enough that I'd drop it, but I don't find myself excited for it at all and usually end up watching it a few days after it airs.

Worst

Sagrada Reset: The concept sounded so exciting, and I wasn't letting myself watch this until I had finished my dissertation because I thought it'd distract me too much. I got about 5 or 6 episodes in and found it dreadful, the animation is fine, if a little boring, but the dialogue barely makes sense and the characters hardly react to anything at all.

Best
Natsume Yuujinchou 6:
This season is similar to the previous five and in a good way. Normally you'd expect it to worsen with each new season (or lose it's appeal), but every time it just manages to capture the same vibe and it never gets old. :)

Eccentric Family 2
:

I was actually expecting it to not live up to the first season, but I must say that I've been positively surprised so far.

My Hero Academia 2nd Season
:
Thus far it's been good fun. Never really been a big fan of tournament arcs and it feels like there's little innovation in this one. On the other hand, the fights are nice, characters (and powers) are interesting enough (except for the main character's...) and it bodes well for the second cour.

Somewhere in the middle
Sakurada Reset:
The concept is really interesting, but the execution is somewhat lackluster. While the dialogues are somewhat strange, I think it kind of works when considering the characters saying them. There's also enough "mystery" to keep me interested in what's to come.

Alice to Zouroku:
I do look forward to this every week, but it feels like the show doesn't really now what it wants to do. The first "arc" had way to much closure, making it feel like were already in season 2. The second part started as a SoL, which I don't mind, but it's a contrast, and now seems to progress into some action.

Anonymous Noise:
Somehow this overly melodramatic show is something I needed. :p

Worst
Sakura Quest:
While it is definitely watchable, there's very little to keep me invested. It takes a bit of effort to even start an episode and while there are some nice moments, it's just a let down. I'm going to stick with it in the hope it picks up in the second part.

Clockwork Planet:
What more is there to say, after one episode you notice the not-so-great character designs and animations and after a few episodes you still notice it along with the not-so-great story.

The Silver Guardian:
I was expecting something similar to Cheating Craft as in, terrible, nonsensical and with a story that goes off on a random tangent ever so often. To my surprise the story sort of makes sense and focuses on a single storyline. So it's just plain bad and not "so bad, it's good".

Um, am I the only one actively enjoying Sakura Quest? It took me ages to convince my partner to even watch it after profiling it as generic moe fluff from the art (we're alike) but it's one of our favourites now. Perhaps it helps that we've spent a lot of time visiting towns with a lot in common with Manoyama and spoken to a lot of tourism offices? But regardless, Shiori is sweet!

Anyway, I'm a little behind due to work but my top pick is still Eccentric Family 2 (Uchouten Kazoku). I don't have a list of bad shows because I dropped everything I hated early on. Though Eromanga-sensei annoys me anyway because ever since we saw a concert my partner got hooked on the opening theme and won't stop singing it.

The shows I don't have ready access to seem to be most popular here :s

R

Best

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul
- Sad to see not many people watching this, has been absolutely fantastic so far.

Eccentric Family 2 - Just a great show, in every sense.

My Hero Academia 2 - Exactly what I want from a Shonen show. Helps that the animation's stunning, especially at those crucial moments.

Sakura Quest - Charming adult SOL.

Attack On Titan 2 - Everything about this gets me hyped. Solid show.

-

In Between

Fukumenkei Noise -

My only issue with the show is that it feels rushed. I do prefer it to the other two below yet I feel we're missing out on the story

-

Worst

DanMachi Spin off
- So you got great source material to work with & advertise the show as Ais/Aiz's spin off ..then you go and shift the focus over and over and over again on a generic side character. Why. It's like they're trying to make this person another Bell but they've failed big time. As a big fan of the world of DanMachi & a huge Ais/Aiz fan the show's been beyond disappointing.
I felt awful going the way of the seven seas for this show and it doesn't seem like it was worth doing so..

Ero-Manga Sensei -
Okay, so they're not blood related & only started living together a year ago but the sister/brother thing just creeps me out. The only saving grace is Elf, she's fabulous. The references to other Light Novels are quite fun too but yeah, can't get past the sibling part. Only keeping it up as my bf's enjoying the show.

Dropped

Clockwork Planet
- Urghhh, just not my thing. Disappointed as the concept is super interesting.

Um, am I the only one actively enjoying Sakura Quest? It took me ages to convince my partner to even watch it after profiling it as generic moe fluff from the art (we're alike) but it's one of our favourites now. Perhaps it helps that we've spent a lot of time visiting towns with a lot in common with Manoyama and spoken to a lot of tourism offices? But regardless, Shiori is sweet!

Anyway, I'm a little behind due to work but my top pick is still Eccentric Family 2 (Uchouten Kazoku). I don't have a list of bad shows because I dropped everything I hated early on. Though Eromanga-sensei annoys me anyway because ever since we saw a concert my partner got hooked on the opening theme and won't stop singing it.

The shows I don't have ready access to seem to be most popular here :s

R

I really like Sakura Quest! Not quite enough to make my top three, but it's certainly not the worst of the season by far and so it has found a fan in me. I think it's admittedly one of P.A Works weaker shows, but also not the worst, so it's all good~

Best:

Sword Oratoira - My eternal DanMachi love wins it a place in my heart. I don't think it's that great an adaption and the extra focus on Lefiya does drive me nuts, however it's great seeing more stories in this world and I'm hopeful for the main series to get a S2 after this.

Anonymous Noise - Gotta get my musical, shojo fix. :D

Eromanga Sensei - I know this one divides a lot of anime fans because of the brother/sister thing, but I find the light novel rooted comedy really funny. Also features the talents of Yoshitsugu Matsuoka who I really like, so bonus points there.

Worst:

Clockwork Planet - Fastest drop this season. I lasted one episode but I'm willing to give the light novels a go as I know this is apparently just a really bad adaption.

Alice and Zoroku - Boring, real meat of the series seemed to end too soon and when it swapped to the daily slice of life I dropped it. I just didn't like the cast.

WorldEnd - Also bored me to death and got dropped 3 episodes in. Judging by this topic no one else has given it the time of day either?

Special Mention:

Attack on Titan Season 2 - This show ends next week and yet I don't think we've actually seen the story cover anything of actual worth. Heck one week was spent basically shouting at trees!

WorldEnd - Also bored me to death and got dropped 3 episodes in. Judging by this topic no one else has given it the time of day either?

I'm two episodes behind (hoping to catch up today) but still enjoying this. I think it fails to accommodate the tropes of its genre which is working against it when it looks so generic, yet probably attracting a few jaded viewers like me who aren't into the usual kind of material. If they can get past the clunky title and endless parade of dizzy-looking little girls in all of the promotional art which might be a turn-off for a lot of people >_>;

R

I do watch it and look forward to it every week to some extent, but I'm not sure what to make of it, actually. It certainly has some things going for it and most of the reveals actually worked quite well IMHO, but at the same time the story doesn't seem to have a clear focus. There's hardly any tension, danger or mystery to make me want to see what happens next.

I'm two episodes behind (hoping to catch up today) but still enjoying this. I think it fails to accommodate the tropes of its genre which is working against it when it looks so generic, yet probably attracting a few jaded viewers like me who aren't into the usual kind of material. If they can get past the clunky title and endless parade of dizzy-looking little girls in all of the promotional art which might be a turn-off for a lot of people >_>;

R

Is World End and Suksuka the same thing? I've quite enjoyed Sukasuka

Yes they're the same, and actually i'm enjoying it to. Will make my list after the spring season is actually over :p

Best

Attack on Titan season 2 worth the wait for sure.

My hero Academia season 2 I've really enjoyed this season, its better than the first simply because the origin story trappings aren't here, instead we get a kickass tournament arc, and it's two-cour so hell yeah!

Decent

Berserk 2017
Yes the CGI is absolute shite at times, but its clear that lessons have been learnt from last season, especially with a greater prevalence of 2D animation, and I dare say that the Blu Ray releases will fix some issues like they handled it before. Even at its worst, this is a solid series and I'm just happy to watch it, even if I'm miles ahead in the manga.

Boruto The series has been decent thus far, though a little middling, I like that they're trying not to simply retread and instead give us something new.

Worst

Eromanga Sensei
I tried giving this a chance, but gave up when I saw a clip of one of the (underage) characters being tied up in a sexually suggestive way. Thought the police were gonna knock down my door. This and Oreimo will never see my shelf that's for sure, these kinds of plot points don't do anything for me, though I'm sure there are things of merit in the series.It provides anime meme pages with some prime content at least.

I'm afraid I haven't kept up with a lot of other new anime, since I have such a backlog of various media as it is. I'll definitely check out Rage of Bahmut: Virgin Soul soon though, and as some of these shows get releases I may well end up buying them :)

Worst

Eromanga Sensei
I tried giving this a chance, but gave up when I saw a clip of one of the (underage) characters being tied up in a sexually suggestive way. Thought the police were gonna knock down my door. This and Oreimo will never see my shelf that's for sure, these kinds of plot points don't do anything for me, though I'm sure there are things of merit in the series.It provides anime meme pages with some prime content at least.

Not to pick on you in particular, I see it a lot, but this kind of complaint putting a show in someone's worst list just ticks me off. Like, okay, you have moral objections to the content of the show, that's cool, but that doesn't mean it's a bad show. It's kind of dividing a lot of people, but I like Eromanga Sensei a fair bit, I find it's shocking humour to be quite funny due to just how unpredictable it is, and I quite like the majority of the cast, especially Elf and Sagiri, not to mention some really high quality animation from A1 and easily the best OP this season. It's a series that has merit, at least in my humble opinion, and to see people say it's bad just because they're not comfortable with the content just seems wrong to me.

Last edited:
Not to pick on you in particular, it's a common complaint I see, but this kind of complaint putting a show in someone's worst list just ticks me off. Like, okay, you have moral objections to the content of the show, that's cool, but that doesn't mean it's a bad show. It's kind of dividing a lot of people, but I like Eromanga Sensei a fair bit, I find it's shocking humour to be quite funny due to just how unpredictable it is, and I found myself quite liking the majority of the cast, especially Elf and Sagiri, not to mention some really high quality animation from A1 and easily the best OP this season. It's a series that has merit, at least in my humble opinion, and to see people say it's bad just because they're not comfortable with the content just seems wrong to me.
Hey that's a perfectly reasonable argument, and I appreciate seeing another perspective on the series. Perhaps I may have to give it another chance one day, and as I said I'm sure there are things of merit, I just couldn't get into the whole brother/sister relationship angle, nor could I sit through some of the more questionable scenes such as the one I mentioned. I certainly agree that it's a divisive show, but it's refreshing to see some praise for it at least.:cool:

Hey that's a perfectly reasonable argument, and I appreciate seeing another perspective on the series. Perhaps I may have to give it another chance one day, and as I said I'm sure there are things of merit, I just couldn't get into the whole brother/sister relationship angle, nor could I sit through some of the more questionable scenes such as the one I mentioned. I certainly agree that it's a divisive show, but it's refreshing to see some praise for it at least.:cool:

I mean, if you object to it on a conceptual level, then you probably don't have to revisit it. I'm not trying to pressure people into liking it, I just don't think calling it bad is justified when it's the actual premise you don't like more than anything.

Best

Kado : The Right Answer

I would say in my opinion Kado is the best anime of the season filled with surprises, and great CGI. The story is entertaining, and the characters are great. I love every moment of Kado so far.

Re:Creators

God I love me some re:creators with some really great characters especially the villain characters. I'm curious how this will play out as a two cour.

Decent

Rage of Bahamut : Virgin Soul

RoG : VS is good, but I have found it a bit boring so far this season. Not much has really happened.

SukaSuka

I do agree SukaSuka is really slow, but I've been enjoying it though I would agree it has issues

Royal Tutor

I find royal tutor some good fun, and has some great comedic moments between characters. Haven't seen many talk about this show.

Worst

Eromanga Sensei

I honestly got bored of the premise, and the characters are a bit meh for me. I dropped after the other author joined the Frey.

Sakura Quest

Sakura Quest I had alot of hope for, but honestly I found it the most boring thing of the season, and dropped it after 2 episodes. I was really hoping for something similar to Shirobako, and I didn't get it.

Back