Top Favourite Anime of 2023

Lucky_Deity

Stand User
I wasn't sure if there was a better thread for this so I decided to make one. I briefly wanted to go over my top anime of last year and would be interested in others as well.

Seeing as I finished Pluto and Horimiya S2 yesterday and we're still early into 2024, thought it was best to do it now.

For my list I was going to do a top ten but there were so many great shows this year I upped it to fifteen. There was also a number of shows I did start but didn't get far into them and at this point I will restart them so some will be missing such as Oshi no Ko for example. There is of course many others shows I missed in general and want to watch still such as 100 Girlfriends but I can't watch everything as it airs 😅

Honourable Mentions

Bungo Stray Dogs (Season 4) - Considering both S4 and S5 released the same year, I didn't want to include it without watching S5 yet.

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, The Apothecary Diaries and Undead Unluck - With all three of these series continuing into 2024 (with Undead Unluck being on a delaycast for the U.K. on top of that), I didn't want to include them in this years list but the former two will definitely makes 2024's and Undead Unluck has a promising start so far.

15. Trigun Stampede
- Studio Orange did a fantastic job on this, the story didn't grab me the entire time but the animation sold this show for me.

14. Hell's Paradise
- A solid shounen series with a creepy atmosphere, looking forward to the second season.

13. Skip and Loafer
- An adorable slice of life with arguably my favourite art style of the year. I would had put it higher but I preferred other similar series over this.

12. Horimiya: The Missing Pieces
- Loved spending more time with these characters, glad the skipped chapters got adapted.

11. Tokyo Revengers (Season 2 + 3)
- A series I continue to enjoy a lot despite how silly it can get with certain aspects. I feel S3 was the weakest which may have dropped this a few places but still a great time personally.

10. Tomo-chan Is a Girl!
- A standout comedy series, this was a lot of fun to watch each week, all I can say really.

09. Rent-A-Girlfriend (Season 3)
- My guilty pleasure show, might not be as good as the other slice of life / romance shows on this list but damn, do I love watching it.

08. Lupin the Third vs. Cat's Eye
- A lot of people here know I love my Lupin so of course I had to include this movie. Though I was always interested in Cat's Eye, this finally got me into the series which I have to thank this movie for. I really appreciated how they tied the lore of both series together as well, making it feel very natural. It did a better job than the Detective Conan crossovers IMO (even though I enjoy them as well).

07. Pokemon Concierge
- A wonderful little stop-motion series, so cute and relaxing, a surprise gem for the year.

06. Pluto
- Naoki Urasawa's take on Astro Boy was just as great as I'd heard about all these years.

05. KonoSuba! An Explosion on this Wonderful World!
- This is only so high because of bias, though weaker than the main series, I adore KonoSuba! and Megumin is my favourite character from the series so I loved this a lot. Was nice to see Yunyun get more of a spotlight here as well.

04. Spy x Family (Season 2)
- Spy x Family continues to be a modern favourite of mine and that won't be stopping anytime soon.

03. Urusei Yatsura (2022)
- Starting in 2022 but finishing in 2023 this was my first experience with the series and this made me laugh a lot with how bonkers it is. It's a very visually pleasing show as well.

02. Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead
- Ever since the first trailer I knew I was going to fall in love with this series and I was right on the money. Like a lot of my top picks, they just ooze fun which is what I want from a show most of the time. Another visually pleasing show as well.

01. Attack on Titan: The Final Season - The Final Chapters
- The controversial pick for sure but I was a fan of the ending and this finale kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. There's only ever been a few anime which have made me feel like I did watching these, so they are always truly special to me and which is why it is my number one for the year.

Last edited:
was just looking to see if someone had made a thread about this!
still some shows to catch up on (e.g. Pluto, Spy x Family s2) so don't know how to order them yet, but:

Frieren, Apothecary & Vinland S2 were a cut above the rest, just all round great shows
also enjoyed Insomniacs, Heavenly Delusion, Kaina, Gundam Mercury, Undead Murder Farce, Ooku

probably forgot some, but would happily buy blus of any of the above!

A little late to the party, just saw this thread today, but I thought I would add my "Top Twenty" list of favorite anime of 2023. I'm mostly into Romance and Fantasy/Isekai series. Theres a few more Romance series I have yet to finish from the year, so I have to leave them off the list for now. These are pretty much listed in order

1. My Happy Marriage
2. The Apothecary Diaries
3. Frieren: Beyond Journey's End
4. Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts
5. The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent Season 2
6. The Reason Why Raeliana Ended up at Duke's Mansion
7. Sugar Apple Fairy Tale
8. Loving Yamada-kun at lv999
9. Insomniacs After School
10. A Girl & Her Guard Dog
11. Malevolent Spirits: Mononogatari
12. The Ancient Magus' Bride Season 2