Tokyo Games Show 2017 | OT | OMG DEM WAPANESE GAMES

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
TGS-2017-Live-Stream-Schedule.jpg

Welcome back to the Tokyo Games Show official AUKN thread for 2017. For those who don't know what TGS is, it's a very special expo in Japan dedicated solely to new & upcoming Japanese games (plus a couple Western developed games localised for Japan)! The expo also starts off with Sony's Japanese PlayStation conference that you can watch live on YouTube with English translated voice-overs.

The PlayStation TGS conference will begin on Tuesday 19th September at 8:00am BST time

Last year we saw new announcements in the form of Earth Defence Force 5, Fortune Street feat. Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy, Gundam Versus, Warriors All-Stars and more.

So what is there to expect this expo? Well Famitsu have teased 10 big announcements (two had been potentially leaked with Dragon's Crown Remaster and Okami HD Remaster), Devil May Cry director mentioned a big announcement earlier in the year (possibly Devil May Cry 5), and we could hear something related to Shenmue 1 & 2 remaster given the third game is set for 2018.

That mascot is pure nightmare fuel o_O

I don't really have many/any expectations tbh, TGS isn't as interesting as it used to be. That said I want both Dragon's Crown HD and Okami HD so that would have been cool if they had not been leaked already.

Curious what the next warriors game will be and if it'll be Anime related or not? Thats assuming they have anything else coming outside of Attack On Titan 2 and DW9.

Not sure it makes sense for the franchise but Fullmetal Alchemist would be cool. And weirdly I also think a Sailor Moon warriors game almost in the same lineage as the cute em ups in the past would also potentially be alot of fun.

Curious what the next warriors game will be and if it'll be Anime related or not? Thats assuming they have anything else coming outside of Attack On Titan 2 and DW9.

Not sure it makes sense for the franchise but Fullmetal Alchemist would be cool. And weirdly I also think a Sailor Moon warriors game almost in the same lineage as the cute em ups in the past would also potentially be alot of fun.

I mean the dream for me is a shonen jump all-stars warriors game, like it may be the more boring answer but damn I want it. Imagine the cast of that crappy J-Stars Victory Vs game but in a warriors game. Can't imagine it would be cheap to license but if J-Stars can get made I see no reason why it couldn't happen....

Anyway the more I've thought about it the more interested I am in TGS. Wanna see more Ni No Kuni 2, hopefully a new Dragon Ball FighterZ character (although 3 were just revealed like yesterday, so probably trailers for them), maybe even something from FromSoftware? I can only hope....

Last edited:
Conference is over, here are the announcements:

New:
  • A-Train de Ikou Exp.
    Supports PlayStation VR
  • Dragon's Crown Pro
    Remaster for PS4, launches 25th January 2018. Supports 4K resolution, music newly recorded by a live orchestra, cross-play with the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita versions, and both English and Japanese voices.
  • Earth Defence Force: Iron Rain
  • Final Fantasy IX
    Available today! I presume this is a port of the PC version like VII was.
  • The iDOLM@STER Stella Star
    Launches 21st December, more info soon
  • Left Alive
    New IP from Square Enix produced by Shinji Hashimoto and directed by Toshifumi Nabeshima with character design by Yoji Shinkawa
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operations 2
  • Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner - Mars
    Remaster for PS4 with enhanced graphics, 4K resolution, new sound design, new-gen surround sound, brand new features and optional PlayStation VR support.
Release Dates:
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - 2018
  • A Certain Magical Virtual-On - 15th February 2018
  • Dynasty Warriors 9 - Early 2018
  • Earth Defense Force 5 - 7th December 2018
  • Gungrave VR - 2017
  • Hokuto ga Gotoku - 22nd February 2018
  • Itadaki Street Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary - 19th October 2017
  • Monster Hunter: World - 26th January 2018 Worldwide
  • Shadow of the Colossus - 2018
Other Notes:
  • Dissidia Final Fantasy NT
    Noctis from XV is a playable character
  • Itadaki Street Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary
    Erinn from Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies joins the roster
Interesting selection overall. For VR they have also added plans to include a Japan Studios VR Music Festival showcasing all of the orchestra music from various Japan Studio developed games as well as News VR and Animax for PlayStation.

As expected the TGS show was meh, it's just so irrelevant now sadly... That said, probably buy Dragon's Crown again, 13 Sentinels looks up my alley, Shadow of the Colossus will be bought too, I'm also pretty interested in Left Alive.... Oh and a release date for Monster Hunter World is most welcome, finally a MH that doesn't look like ass!

New Gaming News

The iDOLM@STER Stella Stage
Format: PlayStation 4
Release Date: 21st December 2017

Imas-Stella-Stage_09-19-17_027.jpg

Imas-Stella-Stage_09-19-17_028.jpg

The next instalment in the franchise, follows a similar concept to Platinum Stars. Train the idols, and then they perform with a music/rhythm style for each song. 'Coaching' is a new element to the training part of the game. The main 13 idol girls are part of 765 Production and in this game we are introduced to a new set of idols under 961 Production. More info over at Gematsu.

City Shrouded in Shadow
Release Date: 19th October 2017

Weekly Famitsu have announced more Kaiji type shadows to turn up in the game:
  • Griffon (Patlabor)
  • Abraham (Patlabor)
  • Dada (Ultraman)
  • Mechagodzilla (Godzilla)
  • Evangelion Unit-00 (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
  • Evangelion Unit-02 (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
City-Shrouded-Shadow_Fami-scan_09-19-17.jpg

Kunio-kun: The World Classics Collection
Release Date: TBA

Arc System Works have announced plans to bring a number of Kunio-kun games to PlayStation 4. These games were also released on the PlayStation 3. Trailer and details will soon follow.

Kunio-kun-World-Classics-Ann_09-19-17-600x600.jpg

Happy Manager
Format: PlayStation 4 + PlayStation VR
Release Date: January 2018

D3 Publisher have confirmed that VR support won't be part for the main game during launch, and has been reduced to partial support for "various matters". This game is a apartment management adventure type.

Happy-Manager-PSVR_09-19-17.jpg

Kai-ri-Sei Million Arthur VR
Format: PlayStation 4 + PlayStation VR
Release Date: 28th September 2017

Square Enix have confirmed the release date and showed off a new trailer for its upcoming PS4 VR release of the 'character command RPG' type game. The game is already available on Steam for VR in Japan. You can also pat them in the head.

Kai-Ri-Sei-Million-Arthur-VR-PS4_09-19-17.jpg

PlayStation Japan added some trailers from TGS, here's a good bunch:

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
[十三機兵防衛圏]

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
[ACE COMBAT™ 7: SKIES UNKNOWN]

Arika's Mysterious Fighting Game (tentative name)
[アリカ謎の格闘ゲーム(仮称)]

Attack on Titan 2
[進撃の巨人2]

Atelier Lydie & Suelle
[リディー&スールのアトリエ]

A Certain Magical Virtual-On
[電脳戦機バーチャロン×とある魔術の禁書目録 とある魔術の電脳戦機]

City Shrouded in Shadow
[巨影都市]

Code Vein
[CODE VEIN]

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory