New Devilman Crybaby Visual, Cast & Netflix Launch Date Details!

N

NormanicGrav

We now have more information on the upcoming Devilman anime coming exclusively to Netflix!

Masaaki Yuasa and Science SARU have revealed new details for their next major anime project – Devilman crybaby, based on the classic manga series from Go Nagai. The series will be streaming as part of Netflix’s Anime Originals slate which will mean it’ll be exclusive to the streaming service worldwide on the same day and date on 5th January 2018.

In addition to the official release date, we also have other brand new information including a trailer, visual and also the staff/cast details!

Devilman-crybaby-2.png

The Staff confirmed for the anime project alongside director Masaaki Yuasa (The Tatami Galaxy) and studio Science SARU (Lu Over the Wall) are screenplay writer Ichiro Okouchi (Code Geass) and music composer Kensuke Ushio (A Silent Voice). Denki Groove will offer the anime’s main theme song called “MAN HUMAN”, with Takkyū to Tabibito offering an ending theme song “Konya Dake” for episode 9.

The cast members were also revealed, featuring Kouki Uchiyama (Haikyu!!, Nisekoi, Yuri!!! on Ice) as the main titular character Akira Fudou and Ayumu Murase (The Ancient Magus Bride, Bananya, Haikyu!!) as Ryou Asuka. Also confirmed are Megumi Han (Hunter x Hunter) as Miki Makimura, Ami Koshimizu (Code Geass) as Miko, Atsuko Tanaka (Fate/stay night) as Sirene, Rikiya Koyama (Detective Conan) as Kaim, Kenjiro Tsuda (Naruto) as Nagasaki, YOUNG DAIS as Kukun, Subaru Kimura (Gundam Build Fighters) as Gabi, KEN THE 390 as Wamu, Hannya as Babo, and AFRA as Hie.

The protagonist Akira Fudo (Kouki Uchiyama) learns from his best friend, Ryo Asuka (Ayumu Murase), that an ancient race of demons has returned to take back the world from humans. Ryo tells Akira that the only way to defeat the demons is to incorporate their supernatural powers, and suggests that he unite with a demon himself. Akira succeeds in transforming into Devilman, who possesses both the powers of a demon and the soul of a human. The battle of Devilman and Akira Fudo begins.

The 10 episode series will be exclusive to Netflix’s streaming service starting 5th January 2018 and will be available in nine different spoken languages (including English) as well as 25 subtitle languages across the world.

Here are the previous trailers for Devilman crybaby while you're waiting for the launch!

Source: Devilman crybaby official website

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
The previous press releases made it sound like it might deviate from the original manga's version of events, but this new synopsis seems less clear on the matter. Hmm.

I know what I'm watching tonight, that's for sure.

I caught the first episode before work this morning. Suffice to say, it's faithful to the spirit of the manga, in that it's extremely violent and sexual and unhinged in that very specific Go Nagai fashion.

I know what I'm watching tonight, that's for sure.

I caught the first episode before work this morning. Suffice to say, it's faithful to the spirit of the manga, in that it's extremely violent and sexual and unhinged in that very specific Go Nagai fashion.

Indeed, I was certainly not expecting the series to be that sexual (violent on the other hand I was expecting). I'm also surprised that so far this is the first Netflix Original series to not be rated by the BBFC (it's pretty much guaranteed to be an 18 regardless).

I've watched three episodes so far and I'm really enjoying it. I hear the ending of the source material is 'something' which wasn't adapted I don't believe in the TV & OVA versions so I'm curious about this adaptation. Speaking of the source material Seven Seas are releasing Hardcover editions of the manga starting March.

Also that opening is so cool (it's on Spotify and the OST itself is on iTunes):

Back