Blu-Ray versus DVD: the ongoing format war and DotW discussion

Just because it's on BD doesn't mean the quality is any better than its DVD counterpart.

My comment also refers to "ownership" a title on Crunchyroll or any other streaming site for that matter is available until the license expires or it's deemed unappealing at which points it's gone whether you want it or not.

With physical media it's yours to view whenever you want with no fear of it one day disappearing without warning

Just because it's on BD doesn't mean the quality is any better than its DVD counterpart.

You could make this argument for upscales, but for newer titles that's totally false.

My comment also refers to "ownership" a title on Crunchyroll or any other streaming site for that matter is available until the license expires or it's deemed unappealing at which points it's gone whether you want it or not.

With physical media it's yours to view whenever you want with no fear of it one day disappearing without warning

Whilst that is true, if I liked the show on CR, I'd buy the Blu Ray, or if it's not on CR, I'd just buy the BD at full price than buy a discounted DVD. I'd go a pretty long way to avoid buying DVDs, it's just not good enough in terms of picture quality anymore, at least for me.

If I still owned a VHS player I would also still be watching the VHS stuff.

Having watched certain recent series' in both DVD and BD formats due to a temperamental BD player I can say that there's no real difference in video quality, certainly not enough to justify missing out on a bargain because it's not on Blu-ray.

Having watched certain recent series' in both DVD and BD formats due to a temperamental BD player I can say that there's no real difference in video quality, certainly not enough to justify missing out on a bargain because it's not on Blu-ray.

That's simply not true, especially when watching SD subtitles on a large screen. Maybe it works for you, but DVD subtitles have an unfortunate tendency of looking awful at large resolutions.

I've brought DVDs of recent series, but I wouldn't criticise anybody else for swerving them, even if they're cheap.

I can see the difference most certainly progressive being better than interlaced and standards converted, and hear the difference too, lossless being better than lossy, NTSC being better than PAL speedup.

But I'll watch it however I can get it, DVD, BD, and VHS transferred to DVD-R. The important thing is the content, not the format, but I'll still take it as best as I can get it.

The deals of the week must make sense for MVM when they have stock to shift, and as a loss leader on Part 1s with the hope of shifting a few more full price part 2s. The questions would be if they have enough in the way of Blu-ray stock and titles to support a bargain of the week deal, and what the price sweet-spot would be. Would a £20 deal of the week be acceptable, or would a lower price be expected?

Subtitles are a whole other conversation as there are horrid looking ones regardless of resolution.

Plus I like my video raw, if I can't understand what's being said then there's no point in watching :)

Subtitles are a whole other conversation as there are horrid looking ones regardless of resolution.

Plus I like my video raw, if I can't understand what's being said then there's no point in watching :)

I'm fairly sure full price BDs are cheaper than learning colloquial Japanese... :)

If MVM were to do a special of the week on a BD title I would suggest price point would depend on the title as not all series are the same. It really would depend on what the reduction to the original price would be that would temp people. They certainly have enough BD titles out there to do this though I've no idea if it would be beneficial from a business point of view.

You could make this argument for upscales, but for newer titles that's totally false.
What's the best video quality anyone's ever seen on DVD? For me, it's Anime Limited's releases of Cowboy Bebop and Terror in Resonance. (The latter is, I believe, cloned from Funimation's US release and has a full seven episodes on disc 1. How can the video quality still be that good? o_O)

What's the best video quality anyone's ever seen on DVD?

Servant X Service from Aniplex. They charge through the nose, but you get your money's worth when it comes to the transfer. 3 discs, 4 episodes per disc except the first with five, and a progressive NTSC video quality so good when it comes to detail and compression, that it puts some anime Blu-rays to shame. And then the audio is uncompressed, PCM 2.0 Stereo Japanese encoded at 1536 kbps, really high quality audio, again offering detail and nuance that outshines some Blu-rays.

All I'll say on this is that I'm still perfectly happy with DVDs. You get good and bad quality transfers in all mediums.

MVM's deal of the Week is Ambition of Oda Nobuna for £9.99.

Good example f a show I'd spring for for a tenner on DVD. Not fussed about having it in HD for more monies.

Assuming you're tying this into the whole discontinuation of DVDs discussion, it's probably worth noting this is also a show that's streaming on Crunchyroll in HD, which most people here have a sub to. If I'd watched it on there and didn't like it so much, I will have saved a tenner, if I did like it a bunch, I wouldn't be satisfied owning a DVD copy, especially given I'd watched it in HD the first time. Buying this DVD, even if cheap, doesn't seem like a good investment, at least to me.

Through for completeness' sale it'd also worth noting, there is still the English dub, which Oda Nobuna would have on a home video release. CR doesn't have all that many dubbed shows.

(Oda Nobuna has a bunch of pretty nice Sakuga, would probably look better on bigger than 480p.)

My thought is that I only want to buy a series once ideally, meaning that I'd rather pay the extra and have the best available version than have an inferior copy that I might want to upgrade. If there's a Blu Ray/collector's edition available I'll take it over the DVD/standard. Though it costs more now, It pays off for me in the long run.

Edit: Of course if only a DVD version of a series I want is available, then I'm more than happy to have it in my collection :cool:

That being said,if something gets released on Blu Ray and the quality is shite then I'll hold off on upgrading(? If you can call it that) (looking at you Stand Alone Complex Anchor Bay Blu-Ray abominations).

Last edited:
Back